Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Rufus Declared Bankrupt

Comments

• Looking forward to meeting him again at the BBTV dinner.
  • very sad to hear, but who knows the circumstances, I truly had man love for Richard rufus
  • Up there with Kins, Thommo and (of course) my namesake as my favourite ever Charlton players. Legend. Sad to hear this - but hopefully bankruptcy is a way of clearing his debts and he's able to come out the other side ok. Best of luck big man.
  • Up there with Kins, Thommo and (of course) my namesake as my favourite ever Charlton players. Legend. Sad to hear this - but hopefully bankruptcy is a way of clearing his debts and he's able to come out the other side ok. Best of luck big man.

I met your namesake at Margate once when he was playing for Sittingbourne. He was really chuffed that someone remembered him ploughing his furrow up and down the wing at The Valley. He even went and got his team mate Tommy Warrilow and asked me to repeat that I'd seen him playing for the Charlton first team!

Maybe Tommy and the others wound him up a bit about his league career.
  • I loved Leroy. Not the most gifted, but a grafter. Quality 'fro as well. It was right abotu the time I can properly remember going regularly - I was about 8 or thereabouts, I think. Funny how certain players make an impression on you at that age, and it was Leroy for me. Wonder what he thinks about a middle-aged white bloke with no footballing ability above Sunday league standard posting as 'him' on an internet messageboard?
  • About the same as the rest of us do.

:-)
  • I loved Leroy. Not the most gifted, but a grafter. Quality 'fro as well. It was right abotu the time I can properly remember going regularly - I was about 8 or thereabouts, I think. Funny how certain players make an impression on you at that age, and it was Leroy for me. Wonder what he thinks about a middle-aged white bloke with no footballing ability above Sunday league standard posting as 'him' on an internet messageboard?

I wonder the same about Len Glover but Pete never had the chance to get a word in edgeways on Sunday when he interviewed him!
  • Addickted said:

About the same as the rest of us do.

:-)

Actual LOL
  • very sad to hear this news! very best of to Richard and things start going better for him soon! great player for us
  • All the best to Richard. Top CAFC player.
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

Very sad for Rufus. Classiest defender I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt and that goal at Wembley was immense.

I do believe that top footballers are overpaid these days, but there's a lot in recent years who are not in RR's class who probably "earned" more in a year than he did in his whole career.

Hope he gets himself sorted soon.

This

• The term legend gets bounded about too freely for my liking but Richard Rufus is a bone fide charlton legend no doubt about that. All the best for the future Richard
  • I absolutely love Rufus. Great to know the club are helping him out and that he's passing in his knowledge and experience to the next generation (http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/56833/richard-rufus-is-back-on-the-payroll).

In my lifetime he's the greatest Addick not to receive an England cap, is he the greatest of all time ?
  • Admired RR greatly. I am wondering whether the top Clubs actually provide financial advice to players considering the money that they earn these days.
  • My favourite ever Charlton Player. I hope he sorts himself out sharpish. Good luck RR
  • se9addick said:

I absolutely love Rufus. Great to know the club are helping him out and that he's passing in his knowledge and experience to the next generation (http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/56833/richard-rufus-is-back-on-the-payroll).

In my lifetime he's the greatest Addick not to receive an England cap, is he the greatest of all time ?

Sam Bartram would have his advocates....

• Wish him well. Whilst this is not great news as such, it may put him in a better place to move forward with his life.

Testimonials are not guaranteed money makers.
    Granpa said:

Admired RR greatly. I am wondering whether the top Clubs actually provide financial advice to players considering the money that they earn these days.

Suspect they may recommend financial advisors.

se9addick said:

I absolutely love Rufus. Great to know the club are helping him out and that he's passing in his knowledge and experience to the next generation (http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/56833/richard-rufus-is-back-on-the-payroll).

No Bartram. Both players are revered by Charlton fans, but football fans of other teams (who saw him play) hold Bartram in particular in high esteem.
  • LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Sam Bartram would have his advocates....
    My late father would have agreed with this and always said if it had not been for Wolves Bert Williams, Sam would certainly have been England 's number one.
  • Fantastic player who probably scored the most important goal in the clubs history. Shouldn't be too difficult for SCP to put his weight behind a testimonial for Richard.
  • NYA mentions Lee Hendrie above. He was featured in the programme Clarke Carlisle made about ex footballers and depression. Hendrie hit rock bottom and tried to take his life twice. He also lost homes, cars etc that he had bought for others such as his parents and it turned their lives upside down as well as his. He was so ashamed he didn't want to be here anymore. Thankfully he came through it and is trying to put his life back together but it's a sobering thought. I wonder what Gordon Taylor does for his massive annual salary?

I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison to make. The PFA does a vast amount to try and stem the tide of ex pro footballers struggling to readjust after their careers end. There is only so much you can do to tell someone else what to do with their money. Why not question what Lee Hendrie's parents did when their son bought them houses and cars on credit based on the earnings of a clearly fragile career?

I suspect, as Absurdistan mentions, that this is more to do with the failed investment into a new business than any struggle related to his footballing career ending.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wish him the best. He is my favourite all time Charlton player. Loyal and instrumental in our success. Before his injuries, the best centre half we have ever had IMO - and we have had some good ones!
  • Without wanting to intrude on Richard's personal life too much, do we know what was the cause of his bankruptcy? As a religious man it doesn't seem likely he boozer or gambled it away.
  • Others have said it but Rufus was the best defender the club has ever had.
  • Suppose we will be seeing him selling the big issue next week then, ahem
  • Great player, Solid, shame its ended up like this for him. Hope he can ride it out then come out the otherside and start again.
  • I hope Richard can climb back from this. I also hope the club could wangle some kind of benefit/testimonial match for him (providing his thing isn't gambling).
    Richard Rufus is one of the very best players I have seen play for us in the last 50 years. Awesome footballer.
    Good luck Richard.
  • I remember well one evening on the platform at Waterloo East reading a back page piece in the Evening Standard on how Arsenal were tracking Rufus and being absolutely gutted. Glad it never came to anything. One of our truly great legendary status players. Good luck Richard.
  • edited November 2013

(I've removed the link)
  • redcarter said:

http://richardrufusponzi.com/ really bizarre this

Blimey. Doesn't pull any punches does it. Hope it's not true.

• Do we think that should actually be on here?