Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arsenal fans

Comments

• Options

Arsenal have always struck me as a 'proper' football club with a great history - if Charlton disappeared then I would naturally gravitate towards following them (partly also for geographical reasons).

Also notable that their fans don't seem to cause any trouble wherever they go.

Notable? Really? What research have you done on the matter?

Wonder where the much loved term "gooners" comes from?
  • Options

Don't like Arsenal and always call their support s**t for being incapable of making any noise and out sung at home every game, would love an away FA Cup tie there!

Why? So Charlton fans can show Arsenal how to make an atmosphere? Come off it!

• Options
    we'd take flares!
  • Options

Don't like Arsenal and always call their support s**t for being incapable of making any noise and out sung at home every game, would love an away FA Cup tie there!

Why? So Charlton fans can show Arsenal how to make an atmosphere? Come off it!

some ones looking for a bite haha
  • Options

we'd take flares!

And throw a chair on the pitch. Bedlam.
  • Options
    Never had a problem with them.
  • Options
    I was brought up to hate Arsenal. My family are from Woolwich and my Grandad used to watch them in Plumstead and to him and some like him their move to Islington was a betrayal of their true fans, similar to Wimbledon moving to Milton Keynes. When they moved he developed a hatred for them, which he passed to my dad, who passed it to me.

While I know quite a few Arsenal fans who are decent fellas I can't shake my dislike for their team. For instance, recently they went on a run of losing 1 game in 25. After that loss they booed the side off and called for the manager's head. That is the very definition of appalling fans.

As for them referring to them as The Arsenal, that goes back to where they came from, as a works team from the real, royal Arsenal at Woolwich, which everyone called The Arsenal. I suppose it's understandable, but worth asking them if they are referring to the football club or the Royal Arsenal that they left to pursue more money in North London.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Some of the worst "fans" in football. Pompous plastic morons.

'Starting to get annoyed?' Still working on being able to ignore them.

Sums up how I feel.

No, ISSS, it's not just you. The way they treat Wenger after what he has done for their poxy club is just typical of their attitude. They are the Man Utd. of the south due to their sense of entitlement. Spoilt, tantrum throwing 'fans' (most of whom have never even been to a game) who throw the toys out of the pram the moment the slightest thing goes wrong. They do my head in. I think that they have a great manager and some fantastic players who are often great to watch - it's a shame that their supporters, on the whole, appear to be such idiots.
  • Options

Arsenal have always struck me as a 'proper' football club with a great history - if Charlton disappeared then I would naturally gravitate towards following them (partly also for geographical reasons).

Also notable that their fans don't seem to cause any trouble wherever they go.

Yeah, a great history. Left their spiritual home behind then got promoted after coming 5th in the second division (and bribing the FA). Class.

• Options
    I always saw Arsenal fans as convenient glory hunters. They are in London so can be classed as local and they win alot of games so can claim bragging rights.

Most obviously don't go to the games and those are the ones who want Wenger out and believe any player should want to go to them and blah blah blah.

But the ones who have season tickets are very knowledgable, know their stuff and are down to Earth. But then again that is probably the case with any fan who has watched their side every two week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013

Tottenham fans are much much worse.

No chance!
  • Options

Is (The) Arsenal closer to New York then?!

For my pennies worth Arsenal are the Premiership team that I follow....watching players like Bergkamp and Ian Wright in my teens was a large part of the reason why I love the game.

• Options
    Really don't know what it is about them but I have never met an Arsenal fan who isn't a complete twat.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

These threads about hating people because they happen to support a different Club from you make me laugh. They are just people, love their kids, hate war, struggle to pay their bills, love and hate TV programmes, just people. That Doctor who saved your life, the Nurse who looks after your Nan, the policeman who rescued your kid from a bunch of yobs, who do they support ? Our football Club is massively important in our lives, but lets keep some common sense here please.

You're going very deep there old man...

I never said the word "hate". I said "annoyed".
  • Options
    Granpa said:

These threads about hating people because they happen to support a different Club from you make me laugh. They are just people, love their kids, hate war, struggle to pay their bills, love and hate TV programmes, just people. That Doctor who saved your life, the Nurse who looks after your Nan, the policeman who rescued your kid from a bunch of yobs, who do they support ? Our football Club is massively important in our lives, but lets keep some common sense here please.

Spot the difference one is a peaceful loving granpa

The other is one that only cares where you come from not what team you support

Granpa Member

October 8

I'm afraid we have to accept that every fan base will contain an element of ignorance and bad behaviour. Worse still is when you realise that these morons will become parents, and therefore bring up their unfortunate kids to mirror them. One of the reasons why I am very comfortable being the age that I am. I do not envy my grandkids who will live through the Eastern European invasion on its way. Quote
  • Options

boggzy said:

Sums up how I feel.

No, ISSS, it's not just you. The way they treat Wenger after what he has done for their poxy club is just typical of their attitude. They are the Man Utd. of the south due to their sense of entitlement. Spoilt, tantrum throwing 'fans' (most of whom have never even been to a game) who throw the toys out of the pram the moment the slightest thing goes wrong. They do my head in. I think that they have a great manager and some fantastic players who are often great to watch - it's a shame that their supporters, on the whole, appear to be such idiots.
    Completely agree with the "Man United of the south" comparison!
  • Options

boggzy said:

Sums up how I feel.

Interesting hearing a comparison with Man United. In my lifetime I've only ever known United to be successful so there has only been very few occasions over the years when you have heard a reasonable number of their fans to moan about things going wrong (and only for a very short time period).

What I thought was interesting was hearing them get solidly boo'd off at half time in the recent game against Stoke at Old Trafford when they were getting beat 1-2.

The commentator (Ian Crocker) made an excellent point saying that the team had given them many reasons to cheer and gloat to other teams fans over the years and for the first time in forever that the team needed them to really get behind them and give something back they had turned against them....we are all guilty of being fickle, lets not pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    That's what really gets to me with all the spurs fans, 'once we get out of second gear we will be flying'. What a load of shite, just admit it, avb has bought some real bang average players with the 100 million he has spent.
    You aren't in second gear, you just haven't got that good a team, which 99% of spurs fans fail to realise
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Yes, it is more a statement about fans in general. I have always greatly admired the job Wenger has done and have argued as much with Arsenal fans who should know better! The thing is - I think it is more than possible they won't win anything again this year, whilst they could! If they don't it shouldn't detract from the job Wenger has done and is doing on a much smaller budget to his rivals. This will only mkae them stronger in the future!
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

boggzy said:

Sums up how I feel.

Interesting hearing a comparison with Man United. In my lifetime I've only ever known United to be successful so there has only been very few occasions over the years when you have heard a reasonable number of their fans to moan about things going wrong (and only for a very short time period).

What I thought was interesting was hearing them get solidly boo'd off at half time in the recent game against Stoke at Old Trafford when they were getting beat 1-2.

The commentator (Ian Crocker) made an excellent point saying that the team had given them many reasons to cheer and gloat to other teams fans over the years and for the first time in forever that the team needed them to really get behind them and give something back they had turned against them....we are all guilty of being fickle, lets not pretend otherwise.
    This is why I think all the top 4 are as bad as each other. Arsenal are the annoying club at the moment because their turnaround was so swift which heightened the fickleness.

Could never really hate Arsenal (the club), they'd always rip us apart when we were in the Premiership. Some of their players back in the day were fantastic, with Henry probably the greatest Premiership player ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DanDavis said:

Is (The) Arsenal closer to New York then?!

For my pennies worth Arsenal are the Premiership team that I follow....watching players like Bergkamp and Ian Wright in my teens was a large part of the reason why I love the game.

It is a little bit closer but I live in Hertfordshire now.
  • Options

That's what really gets to me with all the spurs fans, 'once we get out of second gear we will be flying'. What a load of shite, just admit it, avb has bought some real bang average players with the 100 million he has spent.
    You aren't in second gear, you just haven't got that good a team, which 99% of spurs fans fail to realise

Get where you're coming from. All I would say they've only had 10 PL games together and 17 in total. Of that, we've kept 13 clean sheets in 17 games so we're not doing too much wrong at the moment. All I can say is that I'll be in a position to judge properly at the end of this season.

As for AVB making the signings, he hasnt made one. Levy had a transfer committee working for him last year in AVBs first season (made up of AVB, Sherwood, Sir Les, Martin Chivers, David Pleat to name a few) and this year we've got a Sporting Director, Franco Baresi who the transfer committee report back to with Baresi the final say.

AVB certainly has got some tactical issues to rectify though.

• Options
    Granpa said:

They are just people, love their kids, hate war, struggle to pay their bills, love and hate TV programmes, just people. That Doctor who saved your life, the Nurse who looks after your Nan, the policeman who rescued your kid from a bunch of yobs, who do they support ?

Ill try my best to think that when I staring across at the Millwall fans in the away end....
  • Options
    Granpa said:

As much as I *strongly dislike* Arsenal, what Granpa says here is undeniably true. Still can't stand 'em though.

• Options

DanDavis said:

boggzy said:

Sums up how I feel.

This is why I think all the top 4 are as bad as each other. Arsenal are the annoying club at the moment because their turnaround was so swift which heightened the fickleness.

Could never really hate Arsenal (the club), they'd always rip us apart when we were in the Premiership. Some of their players back in the day were fantastic, with Henry probably the greatest Premiership player ever.
    I recall a couple of victories against them in the Premiership and some reasonably close games - where as we never beat Man Utd in our last premiership stint.
  • Options
    Arsenal 2 Charlton 4 - one of the happiest days of my life...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysza-wsuzfc
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Get where you're coming from. All I would say they've only had 10 PL games together and 17 in total. Of that, we've kept 13 clean sheets in 17 games so we're not doing too much wrong at the moment. All I can say is that I'll be in a position to judge properly at the end of this season.

As for AVB making the signings, he hasnt made one. Levy had a transfer committee working for him last year in AVBs first season (made up of AVB, Sherwood, Sir Les, Martin Chivers, David Pleat to name a few) and this year we've got a Sporting Director, Franco Baresi who the transfer committee report back to with Baresi the final say.

Your problem is that you haven't got a world class striker that can can play the way you want. Soldado is good but would be better with a partner. Too many midfielders that can play but don't score enough goals, especially against good teams. 9 goals in 10 games in Charltonesque goal scoring.

The thing that always tickles me about Spurs tho is that every August we hear how it's 'your year' and every year you still finish behind Arsenal.
  • Options
    I knew Spurs were going to play their 7-8 point lead last season as soon as a Spurs mate starting boasting about the 'north london power shift'. In March.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Your problem is that you haven't got a world class striker that can can play the way you want. Soldado is good but would be better with a partner. Too many midfielders that can play but don't score enough goals, especially against good teams. 9 goals in 10 games in Charltonesque goal scoring.

The thing that always tickles me about Spurs tho is that every August we hear how it's 'your year' and every year you still finish behind Arsenal.
    One year Arsenal should aim to finish 17th....just to get Spurs relegated!