Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds fans starting applause during minutes silence

Comments

• Options
    Noticed a few LEEEDS fans were occupants of the Bexley Times Box in the East Stand. Heard them clapping when they scored.
  • Options
    Every club has a few idiots, but by and large I think most Charlton fans are very respectful. Respectful of history and tradition, respectful of the dead and the sacrifices they made, and for the most part respectful of other clubs. As a consequence of our positive behaviour in such solemn moments as today's, we are usually trusted to have the ability to remain silent for a minute.

The modern phenomena of clapping instead being silent has occurred because for some clubs, a fair number of their fans have trouble controlling their behaviour for a period as long as sixty seconds. I suspect that Leeds may be one of these clubs. Therefore, for them, clapping becomes the conditioned response in situations where respect is required; no matter how weird that may seem back in the real world.
  • Options
    Is there a rule that says you cannot applaud those that have given their life for their country? Leeds fans are made up of a cross section of society, just like Charlton fans...but to many on here they are heartless aliens.

Tip: Think before you get angry for little reason.
  • Options
    I dont think anyone is getting angry just having a discussion about appropriate behaviour in what is quite an established annual event.

There certainly isnt a rule enforcing how to behave, people have served thier country to prevent such churlish rules being passed, its hardly a new concept to have a period of silence near to Remembrance sunday, to be honest if BDL had said and now lets juggle to remember those who had lost thier lives I would probably have juggled in silence, its not rocket science. I like many others find clapping a bizzare reaction, I am not in the slightest bit angry just bemused.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Thank you SE7 for a well reasoned reply...it made me smile.

When the clapping started in the late nineties a few in the media done the "It's not very British" thing. Times change, reactions and customs get distorted, but that doesn't mean people in general become disrespectful. Furthermore I think clapping makes for more open emotions and can only be a good thing for humanity. We celebrate a goal together by clapping, yelling and embracing our fellow man. When we observe silence we are alone with our own thoughts and left to guess the emotions of those around us.
  • Options
    Nothing to do with 'not very British' remembrance day is British and be it at football or not silence is sixty seconds to reflect and remember not get involved in a totally unnecessary moral dilemma to clap because the guy next to you is because the away support couldn't observe a minutes silence
  • Options

Thank you SE7 for a well reasoned reply...it made me smile.

When the clapping started in the late nineties a few in the media done the "It's not very British" thing. Times change, reactions and customs get distorted, but that doesn't mean people in general become disrespectful. Furthermore I think clapping makes for more open emotions and can only be a good thing for humanity. We celebrate a goal together by clapping, yelling and embracing our fellow man. When we observe silence we are alone with our own thoughts and left to guess the emotions of those around us.

The disrespect comes from the fact that the individuals feel the need to make any kind of noise in the first place. I'm quite sure the ones who started it today did it partially to massage their own egos - I.e. "look at me clapping, aren't I a decent guy".

The whole phenomenon started with the ghastly out pouring of self indulgent phoney public emotion before and during Diana's funeral, and it's about time it stopped in my opinion.
  • Options
    Have to agree with you about the bandwagon fiasco of Diana's funeral...a Mike Dicken show 5 years later revealed only one caller that wasn't embarrassed by their actions.
  • Options
    Mike Dicken. I miss him a lot more than I do Lady Di, George Best or Jade Goody.
  • Options
    Everybody knows that armistice requires silence surely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redcarter said:

Everybody knows that armistice requires silence surely

I'm an old man rc, but I have come to realize that nothing is written in stone. If an individual has grown up with clapping in appreciation of anothers unselfish deeds, then who am I to condemn?

• Options
    Yeah but no one can be of an age where they grew up with clapping during a a minutes silence I am 32 and have never once felt the urge or witnessed anyone behaving like a performing seal during a minutes silence. It has been adopted as the way forward for sportspeople and is a nice touch in fact I remember all of Ewood park singing Alan Balls name after he left us and it was absolutely the right way to pay tribute to him but not acceptable during remembrance silence.
  • Options
    So, because it was at a football match its ok to say one day, sod it, i want to clap instead of being silent? I bet they wont be clapping tomorrow. Are they going to clap at a funeral when the coffin goes into the ground or into the oven? No, they will remain silent out of respect. They should have done it at the game, simple as that.
  • Options
    Dumb dingles
  • Options
    cafckev said:

So, because it was at a football match its ok to say one day, sod it, i want to clap instead of being silent? I bet they wont be clapping tomorrow. Are they going to clap at a funeral when the coffin goes into the ground or into the oven? No, they will remain silent out of respect. They should have done it at the game, simple as that.

cafckev said:

Once again I reiterate...if clapping became the norm at funerals, does it mean that the whole congregation have no respect for the deceased?

We are an evolving species and I personally will do my best to keep up and not condemn change.

• Options
    Think the clapping during a planned minute's silence is contrived attention seeking shite and it really pissed me off.
  • Options
    I agree Tom.

In my opinion they couldn't trust themselves to be silent, there were a lot of very pissed up northerners about yesterday on their big day out in London, so the easy solution for drunk northern idiots is to clap to cover up their bigger idiots shouting out.

• Options
    Someone go on a Leeds board and ask them what it was about?
  • Options
    I watched the start of a few games on the box, before Charlton's got underway. There was perfect silence in all of them. I was shocked to hear the applause from the Valley. It's always been a minutes silence and that's how it should stay. Why can people not comply with convention and tradition anymore? Next they will be wanting to swap from poppies to pansies!
  • Options
    There were Charlton fans clapping as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I clapped, think people are over reacting about it tbh either way respect was paid to those that had fallen
  • Options
    Its not a situation in which you clap. Its a situation in which you remember in silence. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful but they missed the point.
  • Options
    So clapping means they wasn't remembering them, that's why I was clapping
  • Options
    It's bad enough that it's been reduced from two minutes to one minute.
  • Options
    WSS said:

There were Charlton fans clapping as well

That was just sheep mentality once that Leeds section started. It soon all petered out. I was really enjoying the respectful silence for a few seconds before

• Options
    Addickted said:

It's bad enough that it's been reduced from two minutes to one minute.

I agree!
  • Options
    I can understand clapping in remembrance of a sporting star or an entertainer, but I think it's different when remembering people who gave their lives for their country in war. Just my opinion.
  • Options

Is it not a consequence of this whole move towards clapping instead of silence? 10 years ago everyone knew the score and you either respected it or you acted like a disrespectful twunt but there was no room for misunderstandings, innocent or not.

Would really like to see us move back to minutes silence in every case.

This 100%

• Options
    Pig ignorant. Imagine it was an attempt to drown out drunken monkeys.
  • Options
    Flippin' 'eck the Leeds fans hhad enough trouble getting tickets without people bringing pissed monkeys in! ;-)