Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds fans starting applause during minutes silence

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if clapping instead of silence on the Saturday before Remembrance Sunday is tradition at Elland Road ?

Some scenes from Ibrox yesterday.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/galleries/item/5546-gallery-ibrox-remembers
  • Options
    This was not meant as disrespectful and there were plenty of people Charlton Fans clapping in the Lower North and around the stadium. It seemed to break out around the whole Valley at the same time - a bit unfair to blames the Leeds fans!

I think this was just a bit of confusion. We often show our respect by an organised minutes applause.

That said I am a bit old fashioned and maintained the silence
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I can understand clapping in remembrance of a sporting star or an entertainer, but I think it's different when remembering people who gave their lives for their country in war. Just my opinion.

Absolutely. I don't see you you can applaud the death of war heros like that. It's different, as you say, with sports stars because you can applaud the achievements they made during their lifetimes. But for the war dead, their greatest achievement was the sacrifice they gave. The emotions of sadness that they should have had to do so, gratefulness that they did and awe that they did in such great numbers are not easily mixed with clapping. Silence is far more appropriate and dignified.
  • Options
    Sorry Gumbo, your well intended gesture was misjudged and misguided and not welcomed by the vast majority of people in the stadium and not matched by the millions who attended memorial services the length and breadth of the Commonwealth today.

I am not wanting to dig you out but regardless of your opinion it was not approriate, as I said before at the Menin Gate they specifically ask for people not to clap for the same reasons. If I was able to fart the Marseillies and felt that a worthy tribute to the French would it be right to perform such an act at the Arc de Triomphe?

As WSS said I think, both Charlton and Leeds fans clapped, it died down once they realised it was wrong, let's just learn from it for next time.
  • Options
    Does nobody read?

It started in the Leeds end because some morons in there were shouting.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Does nobody read?

It started in the Leeds end because some morons in there were shouting.

Are you suggesting that the majority of Leeds fans were a tad embarrassed by a few of their own, and clapped to drown them out? That's tantamount to saying not all apposing fans are morons.

Tut tut!

• Options
    Where and when was we told not to clap? Like a have said massive over reaction. Think people would be more pissed if the fallen wasn't even mentioned or remembered, obviously Leeds fans realised what was going on and reacted to drown out and show support not to disrespect. No harm was done

People should worried more about there own action then others
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    SE7toSG3 said:

If I was able to fart the Marseillies and felt that a worthy tribute to the French would it be right to perform such an act at the Arc de Triomphe?

Absolutely.

Happy to do a duet with you C. I reckon we could even 'harmonise'.

• Options
    Gumbo said:

Where and when was we told not to clap? Like a have said massive over reaction. Think people would be more pissed if the fallen wasn't even mentioned or remembered, obviously Leeds fans realised what was going on and reacted to drown out and show support not to disrespect. No harm was done

Did you see anyone clapping at the Cenotaph this morning? Do you think todays ceremony would be enhanced by clapping? If not why did you feel it appropriate to clap yesterday? I'm not suggesting that you were being disrespectful in any way btw but that the manner used to show that respect was inappropriate and that is borne out by it not happening elsewhere.
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

But the request was for 'silence'.

It is specifically a period of silence for remembrance, reflection, quiet contemplation and to pay repsect to those who have given the ultimate sacrifce in protecting this Country and what it stands for.

We're not American for God's sake.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was there any clapping at The Cenotaph this morning ? Perhaps that should set the standard.
  • Options
    Of course I didn't see anyone clapping at the cenotaph this morning. I'm not ashamed of my action and maybe I did follow like a sheep, but I clapped in show of support and respect. I must admit I have never before clapped on Remembrance Sunday or will on Monday.

Was anyone offended the clapping?
  • Options
    Not offended, but suprised and disappointed. I think there is nothing more emotional than 15,000 people at a sports stadium standing in silence TOGETHER
  • Options
    It wasn't done out of disrespect, but I think it should have been a minutes silence rather than applause
  • Options
    Calm down people, it is a show of support one way or the other, I actually prefer clapping as it shows a conscious approval rather than allowing conscientious objectors to hide their dirty thoughts.
  • Options
    We observed the traditional 2 min silence at our cup match this morning and two boys from the other team refused to stand in the circle and their dads did not want them to join in
  • Options
    Were they allowed to play?
  • Options

We observed the traditional 2 min silence at our cup match this morning and two boys from the other team refused to stand in the circle and their dads did not want them to join in

Any reason offered ?
  • Options
    They should not be allowed to play, simple really, if they don't want to respect the freedoms this country had gained front the sacrifices of soldiers, then they can either do one or stay at home and cry about the realities of this cruel world.
  • Options
    Sometimes I wish I wasn't a social worker, tough love is not easy for some.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They should not be allowed to play, simple really, if they don't want to respect the freedoms this country had gained front the sacrifices of soldiers, then they can either do one or stay at home and cry about the realities of this cruel world.

Surely one of "freedoms this country had gained front (sic) the sacrifices of soldiers" is freedom of belief. I don't agree with those boys, but I'm thankful that people fought and died so that they could hold their beliefs without having to "do one".
  • Options

Oh they can play in my book, but they'd have to expect a few hefty challenges.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I paid to have felt poppies sown onto the shirts of my U11s team last year. On for 2 games and then unpicked and 'back to normal'. The boys loved it, and so did the parents. The cousin of our keeper had just lost a leg in Afgan at the time.

Had any of them refused to wear the shirt I am not sure what I would have done but the lad wouldn't have played for those 2 games.
  • Options
    The manager had approached us prior to the game and seemed suitably embarrsed having to do so to explain that 2 of his players use their right to freedom of thought and action to not participate in the observation

Both kids were white english boys

Yes they played and they have never observed the silence in the 6 yrs they have been in the team

It had caused issues before and that is why it was said to us and the ref before the match

The ref was unsure what to do and told the mgr he would not be stopping having the observation which was insenuated rather softly by one of their parents

It was decided that it is their right to respectfully decline to join in and to proceed as normal

Strange thing to hear and see but I spose the freedom that lives are given up for is for all to have the freedom of choice
  • Options

The manager had approached us prior to the game and seemed suitably embarrsed having to do so to explain that 2 of his players use their right to freedom of thought and action to not participate in the observation

Both kids were white english boys

Yes they played and they have never observed the silence in the 6 yrs they have been in the team

It had caused issues before and that is why it was said to us and the ref before the match

The ref was unsure what to do and told the mgr he would not be stopping having the observation which was insenuated rather softly by one of their parents

It was decided that it is their right to respectfully decline to join in and to proceed as normal

Strange thing to hear and see but I spose the freedom that lives are given up for is for all to have the freedom of choice

Strange one that but each to their own

If you'd said they were muslim/black/ irish or whatever this thread would have carried on longer .

Fairplay to the normal Leeds punters trying to stop the dozey ones from making a show of them
  • Options
    If they were I perhaps couldve understood it
  • Options
    Rightly or wrongly Leeds fans certainly meant no harm.
  • Options
    What angered me was a clip of Sheffield Massives fans start singing and chanting their clubs' name during their minutes silence at Derby. Disrespectful bastards!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    <
    Addickted said:

Gumbo said:

But the request was for 'silence'.

It is specifically a period of silence for remembrance, reflection, quiet contemplation and to pay repsect to those who have given the ultimate sacrifce in protecting this Country and what it stands for.

We're not American for God's sake.

THIS. Unless you were too young to understand English or are deaf, then the tannoy announcement yesterday was pretty clear -BDL said that there would be a minutes SILENCE. As per an earlier post, if BDL had said to clap, cheer, sing or fart, then that would have been ok, but he asked for 1 mins SILENCE.

It started off ok but after about 5-10 seconds the Leeds fans started clapping, which was then followed a few seconds later (either out of embarrassment, ignorance or just herd mentality) by some of our fans. I'm glad the clapping stopped before the end of the 40 odd seconds (no way was it a minute & I think the ref was embarrassed too & wanted it over asap) but I do fear for the future of this country if people can't follow a request such as this without thinking they are above everyone else. I don't believe for a minute their clapping had anything to do with trying to cover up other Leeds fans making a noise - I didn't hear anything untoward in the first 5-10 seconds and just felt it was a case of "I want to clap as its what we do nowdays..." than anything else.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Spot on Golf. Started with a group of Leeds down near the front of the stand, nothing to do with anything other than complete attention-seeking. Very disappointing. Pricks!