Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds fans starting applause during minutes silence

1235»

Comments

• Options

<

Addickted said:

Gumbo said:

Where and when was we told not to clap? Like a have said massive over reaction. Think people would be more pissed if the fallen wasn't even mentioned or remembered, obviously Leeds fans realised what was going on and reacted to drown out and show support not to disrespect. No harm was done

People should worried more about there own action then others

But the request was for 'silence'.

It is specifically a period of silence for remembrance, reflection, quiet contemplation and to pay repsect to those who have given the ultimate sacrifce in protecting this Country and what it stands for.

We're not American for God's sake.

THIS. Unless you were too young to understand English or are deaf, then the tannoy announcement yesterday was pretty clear -BDL said that there would be a minutes SILENCE. As per an earlier post, if BDL had said to clap, cheer, sing or fart, then that would have been ok, but he asked for 1 mins SILENCE.

It started off ok but after about 5-10 seconds the Leeds fans started clapping, which was then followed a few seconds later (either out of embarrassment, ignorance or just herd mentality) by some of our fans. I'm glad the clapping stopped before the end of the 40 odd seconds (no way was it a minute & I think the ref was embarrassed too & wanted it over asap) but I do fear for the future of this country if people can't follow a request such as this without thinking they are above everyone else. I don't believe for a minute their clapping had anything to do with trying to cover up other Leeds fans making a noise - I didn't hear anything untoward in the first 5-10 seconds and just felt it was a case of "I want to clap as its what we do nowdays..." than anything else.

Summed up exactly what I thought of it. Last couple of years when there has been a planned 'silence' for a passed footballer or similar figure, there seems to be this habit of spontaneous applause which seems quite contrived and Hollywood, simply done for 'effect'. "Oh this person was so great, I cannot hold back the urge to stand and clap". That sort of thing.

Attention seeking, simple.
  • Options
    Disagree

The noise made for the celebration of a persons life like the send off alan ball got from virtually every fan in english football is not hollywood or contrived

However the standard for a moments reflection in a respectful silence for the passing of many men and women who died fighting in wars is something that should not ever change

And its 2 mins whatever idiot decided that we can not stop our lives for 120 seconds to show respect is a complete toss pot
  • Options
    Originally it was a small section of Leeds clapping, whilst another section tried to shush them. Initially my instinct was that this was a result of too many minutes applause's at football - a tradition I'm not fond of... however, I understand the need for it if you don't want a silence spoiled by a minority (Man utd/Liverpool matches etc.).

The applause was misguided, not needed, and made me feel uncomfortable and a little embarrassed.

HOWEVER, there was absolutely no malice involved, and I don't believe a single fan of either club was trying to show any disrespect. So I feel it's a little harsh to be having a go at anyone.

I really think it would help to do away with the minutes applause altogether.
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone was watching the Man Utd game, but at the very start of the silence there, a small number started to clap, but it was very soon silenced and the had a near perfect minute. Seems it was only the Leeds fans who seemed to think clapping was/is ok.
  • Options

We observed the traditional 2 min silence at our cup match this morning and two boys from the other team refused to stand in the circle and their dads did not want them to join in

Had a cup game against junior red seniors this weekend and they stood in the centre circle passing the ball around and whispering to each other throughout the minutes silence . They got what was coming to them when the game kicked off .
  • Options
    No way mate that's totally unacceptable

These boys were 12 and very obviously following their dads misguided thought process but for adults to do that

The first tackle made wouldve had the full weight of disrespect in it
  • Options

We observed the traditional 2 min silence at our cup match this morning and two boys from the other team refused to stand in the circle and their dads did not want them to join in

Had a cup game against junior red seniors this weekend and they stood in the centre circle passing the ball around and whispering to each other throughout the minutes silence . They got what was coming to them when the game kicked off .
    When you say "Junior Reds Seniors" are they in anyway officially associated with us ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

When you say "Junior Reds Seniors" are they in anyway officially associated with us ?
    They are.
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

Of course I didn't see anyone clapping at the cenotaph this morning. I'm not ashamed of my action and maybe I did follow like a sheep, but I clapped in show of support and respect. I must admit I have never before clapped on Remembrance Sunday or will on Monday.

Was anyone offended the clapping?

More disappointed than offended. People were asked to keep quiet for 60 seconds to respect the ultimate sacrafice that many made for us, and think about it. Generally if you're trying to reflect on something the best way to do it is not by simultaneously banging your paws together. There was an instruction about how we were to act, not an invitation to observe it in our individual ay by tooting a vuvzela or roller blading in hot pants, just shut up for a minute. There's a time for free expression and a time for conformance. This was one of the latter. Accept that you did what you did with good intent, but it probably wasn't your best moment, and don't really mean to dig you out, but I think the whole thing was very, very poor.
  • Options
    I am old enough and should have known better, I was just pointing out it wasn't just Leeds fans clapping. if you are disappointed well you will have to deal with it unfortunately it's happened.

I have said before people only need to worry about what their own actions and not others.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gumbo said:

Of course I didn't see anyone clapping at the cenotaph this morning. I'm not ashamed of my action and maybe I did follow like a sheep, but I clapped in show of support and respect. I must admit I have never before clapped on Remembrance Sunday or will on Monday.

Was anyone offended the clapping?

Yes.

I thought it was a futile, offensive and cheap gesture driven by modern celebrity culture which is a deep insult to families who have lost loved ones in military conflict.

A minutes silence had been accepted as a fitting and dignified tribute for nearly a century and it does not need re-inventing by a group of boozed up football fans.

Its supposed to be a solemn act of remembrance not a game show.

• Options
    Wow then I guess you find most things offensive like this comment. How do you attend games then surly the swear words and chants must make you want stay at home?
  • Options
    Haha was walking to work this morning and knew there would be a big debate about this on here.
    For me, a silence and applause are both respectful, it's not like Leeds started chanting or singing etc, just an applause, which is what the people during the war deserve. People looking into it too much.
  • Options
    Well said
  • Options
    edited November 2013

No way mate that's totally unacceptable

These boys were 12 and very obviously following their dads misguided thought process but for adults to do that

The first tackle made wouldve had the full weight of disrespect in it

Do you honestly think aggression is the answer?

• Options
    I don't think it was done out of disrespect so nothing to make an issue out of. I think a minute's silence is more apt when it come sto remmeberance, personally as you should be thinking about those who have lost their lives for our freedom.
  • Options
    It has nothing to with being easily offended. Swear at the ref or the opposition as much as you like but please treat a dignified act of remembrance with some respect or at the very least, just shut the f@~k up.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Why is swearing at the ref ok?
  • Options
    Grumpy addick take a bit of your own advice now.

thanks
  • Options
    Teachers have a mantra:

Tell 'em what you're going to say.
    Then say it.
    Then tell 'em what you said.

No criticism at all from me, even though I wear a hearing aid I heard that it would be silence rather than applause. The announcement was indeed clear.
    However you maybe need to legislate for people being people, and some are deaf and stupid like me, and don't always get it first time. This is what I reckon happened, but as I said above Leeds fans meant no disrespect whatever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree that there was no malice intended, so from me it was disappointing but not disrespectful.

As an aside, I was doing a spin class yesterday and we stopped for the 11.00 2 minute silence. We showed our respect with a lot of heavy breathing and the sound of dripping sweat.