Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snooker updates

Comments

• That's one football match and two snooker matches I've watched today. Not one has turned out like I wanted.  Might need to stop watching sport.
  • i don't know how others feel but for me BBC seem to have given the job of presenting to Blue Peter winners of some sort of competition. Glad i can move over over to Eurosport. 
  • I think the old guard have all aged at the same time and need replacing, got themselves into a position where they've had to find too many replacements at the same time.
  • Last night's final frame resembled one of those late night ones down the snooker hall when you are determined to beat your opponent no matter what. Bingham must have been thinking "wtf ?......just give up mate & we can all go home to bed".
    Classic Selby really, coming back when you need 6 snookers is not never knowing when to give up, its wasting all our time!
    Doesn't happen very often I know but Wilson gave away 53(?) points on a snooker yesterday tbf so it's maybe not as daft as it first seems. 
    Yes but when it's past the snookers required stage the balls aren't replaced after a miss  so that can't happen.
  • I quite like Rob Walker normally but only as an emcee. He is no commentator and his interviews have been poor. He put words in Bingham's mouth 2 minutes after he'd lost a gruelling match. 

Murphy was sensational today but I think Selby will be too strong for him.
  • I quite like Rob Walker normally but only as an emcee. He is no commentator and his interviews have been poor. He put words in Bingham's mouth 2 minutes after he'd lost a gruelling match. 

Murphy was sensational today but I think Selby will be too strong for him.
    I hope Murphy wins but fancy Selby. Murphy has been written off in most of his games so far so who knows?

Interesting contrast of styles.
  • edited May 2021
    Results

Semi-finals

Kyren Wilson 12-17 Shaun Murphy

Mark Selby 17-15 Stuart Bingham

Sunday 2 May

Final

13:00 & 19:00

Shaun Murphy v Mark Selby

Live coverage - Final

13:00-18:00 & 19:00-22:00 - BBC Two and BBC Sport website & mobile app

Live on Eurosport from 12.45 & 18.45

• Come on the magician! Selby is my least favourite player by a mile, probably slightly irrational but would hate to see him win. Even celebrated his win before he’d potted match ball! 
  • edited May 2021
    Bit of a shame Murphy is only 2 ahead, had chances for that to have been 6-2 or 7-1, but glad he's ahead and playing better.
  • Selby is imposing himself on this game now and strangling Murphy. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I know Selby is a grinder & a fantastic player, but i find him so boring to watch 
  • Most boring final ever?
  • Stig said:
    Most boring final ever?
    Dott v Ebdon claims that by quite a way.
  • I know Selby is a grinder & a fantastic player, but i find him so boring to watch 
    Purely coincidentally *ahem* my wife asked me yesterday as I was inflicting the final on her why we'd never seen a robot playing snooker?

My wasted quips about Cliff Thorburn and Eddie Charlton aside I struggled to answer why we've not seen O'Sullivan in an exhibition match against one of Boston Robotics finest yet. If there's one sport suited to something having a metronomic, repetitive action with ridiculously high levels of success percentage calculation and geometry, etc. It's snooker. Or pool I suppose.

With the advances in AI we can't be far off this being theoretically possible, albeit boring as... 
  • Monday 3 May

13:00 (eight frames)

Shaun Murphy 7-10 Mark Selby

19:00 (10 frames)

Shaun Murphy v Mark Selby

Live coverage - Final

13:00-18:00 & 19:00-23:00 - BBC Two and BBC Sport website & mobile app

Live on Eurosport from 12.45 & 18.45

Purely coincidentally *ahem* my wife asked me yesterday as I was inflicting the final on her why we'd never seen a robot playing snooker?

My wasted quips about Cliff Thorburn and Eddie Charlton aside I struggled to answer why we've not seen O'Sullivan in an exhibition match against one of Boston Robotics finest yet. If there's one sport suited to something having a metronomic, repetitive action with ridiculously high levels of success percentage calculation and geometry, etc. It's snooker. Or pool I suppose.

With the advances in AI we can't be far off this being theoretically possible, albeit boring as... 
    there was a programme in late 80’s early 90’s where  they built a machine to play a match against Steve Davis. It was positioned four foot or so over the table and the cue/arm would drop down like one of those grabber machines at the amusement arcade and play the shot. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I know Selby is a grinder & a fantastic player, but i find him so boring to watch 

there was a programme in late 80’s early 90’s where  they built a machine to play a match against Steve Davis. It was positioned four foot or so over the table and the cue/arm would drop down like one of those grabber machines at the amusement arcade and play the shot. 
    who won? 
  • edited May 2021
    Murphy has to come out more aggressive. stop pissing about matching Selbys mind numbing antics of wandering around the table envisioning every possible angle and shot. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I know Selby is a grinder & a fantastic player, but i find him so boring to watch 

who won? 
    Think robot won. Hardly missed a ball from memory. 

Think also Davis predicted it couldn’t pot a red from the break but it did (not in match conditions as in match play it was programmed to get white ball safe) 
  • Selby using the bridge one shot and swan the next to basically mishit the cue ball, roll it an inch and then hit the brown with the cue made me feel a lot better about my own game!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit of a shame Murphy is only 2 ahead, had chances for that to have been 6-2 or 7-1, but glad he's ahead and playing better.
    Looking costly now, could be ahead rather than 3 behind.
  • looks up to it in the last two frames. 
  • Fingers crossed!  Big frame now, 13-12 would be anyone's this evening, 14-11 you'd expect Selby to finish the job.
  • still 3 in front. shame really. Selby quite possibly the most frustrating World Champion there has ever been to watch.  
  • That was an incredible break by Selby, especially given the pressure.
  • still 3 in front. shame really. Selby quite possibly the most frustrating World Champion there has ever been to watch.  
    Nah, Ebdon was much more annoying.

Selby is definitely reasonably close though, so effective at basically dragging the better breakbuilders into his style.
  • And a great response by Murphy under even more pressure.
  • Brilliant from Murphy, he won't give it up.
  • Come on Shaun, back to back centuries 
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

who won? 
    Think robot won. Hardly missed a ball from memory. 

Think also Davis predicted it couldn’t pot a red from the break but it did (not in match conditions as in match play it was programmed to get white ball safe) 
    Couldn't open the Champagne bottle though.