Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options

I personally think top 16 should enter at a later round, but it does bring the odd few shocks and hopefully a chance for the lower ranked players.

In this Tournament alone it does look very easy to pick, Jak Jones isn't a massive shock win as Ricky hasn't really played too well last couple off years. Isn't Jak Jones the one who practices with Mark Williams or is it Duane Jones? Top 16 is a step up from anyone outside of the top 16 imo but still not always formality.

But imagine Ronnie didn't make the TV rounds and another few shocks before its even on TV, this would be great for the lower ranked players but not for the fans as most wouldn't bother watching it Imo.

It is what it is, the end of the day! Since Hearn has stepped in he has done brilliant and you cant please everyone, i haven't really heard much of the challenge tour of late either. Feels like Pool is growing, snooker is kind of standing still now.

Actually saw a great tweet the other day which sums up what i have always said

Paulie, i am not just saying Ronnie i am talking about any of the top players. They bring the fans thats a FACT, yes i might still watch it....but i will be more likely if ROS is playing. It is how it is, nothing to do with being a proper fan (same debate with football teams if you go more = more of a fan).

As per Agree to disagree
  • Options

I personally think top 16 should enter at a later round, but it does bring the odd few shocks and hopefully a chance for the lower ranked players.

In this Tournament alone it does look very easy to pick, Jak Jones isn't a massive shock win as Ricky hasn't really played too well last couple off years. Isn't Jak Jones the one who practices with Mark Williams or is it Duane Jones? Top 16 is a step up from anyone outside of the top 16 imo but still not always formality.

But imagine Ronnie didn't make the TV rounds and another few shocks before its even on TV, this would be great for the lower ranked players but not for the fans as most wouldn't bother watching it Imo.

It is what it is, the end of the day! Since Hearn has stepped in he has done brilliant and you cant please everyone, i haven't really heard much of the challenge tour of late either. Feels like Pool is growing, snooker is kind of standing still now.

Actually saw a great tweet the other day which sums up what i have always said

Paulie, i am not just saying Ronnie i am talking about any of the top players. They bring the fans thats a FACT, yes i might still watch it....but i will be more likely if ROS is playing. It is how it is, nothing to do with being a proper fan (same debate with football teams if you go more = more of a fan).

As per Agree to disagree
    Sorry that wasnt aimed at you, and know what you mean the bigger name will always attract bigger audiences but chances are the last 32 will see at least 10 of the top 16 still involved anyway and if one of the top 16 say Selby, Ronnie, Williams were to lose then chances are they were not playing there best snooker so probably wouldnt be a massive lose to the event.

That tweet was just me saying at least someone agrees with me the amount of people online that say things like they wouldnt watch snooker if Ronnie wasnt playing, well they are not snooker fans they are Ronnie fans, if you love the game as much as me, you would watch it if it was Ronnie v Selby or McLeod v Ebdon, i use them last 2 as it would probably be a 10 hour match if those 2 played haha
  • Options
    Will do a full update tonight but this is why I think the system works, this afternoon we lost Shaun Murphy and Ryan Day, both players lost to someone ranked in the 120s, both Feilong and O'Conor have had the biggest wins of their career
  • Options
    Uk Championship
    Round 1
    Results

Stuart Bingham 6-0 James Wattana
    Marco Fu 6-0 Hammad Miah
    Rod Lawler 6-1 Anthony Hamilton
    Andrew Higginson 6-2 Nigel Bond
    Liam Highfield 6-4 Robin Hull
    Mark Joyce 6-3 Niu Zhuang
    Li Hang 6-3 Lee Walker
    Jimmy Robertson 6-4 Jordan Brown
    Joe O'Connor 6-2 Ryan Day
    Graeme Dott 6-2 Oliver Lines
    Tom Ford 6-5 Craig Steadman
    Alan McManus 6-1 Alexander Ursenbacher
    Chen Feilong 6-3 Shaun Murphy
    Joe Perry 6-0 John Astley
    Akani Songsermsawad 6-5 Eden Sharav
    Joe Swail 6-5 Michael White
    Mark Allen 6-2 Basem Eltahhan
    Paul Davison 6-1 Stuart Carrington
    Mike Dunn 6-4 Allan Taylor
    Dave Gilbert 6-3 Ashley Carty
    Martin Gould 6-1 Harvey Chandler
    John Higgins 6-5 Dechawat Poomjaeng
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh 6-3 Jimmy White
    Gary Wilson 6-4 Billy Joe Castle
  • Options
    Final 24 1st round matches tomorrow then a day off and we begin round 2 on Saturday which is also when tv coverage starts
  • Options
    Lawlor v Hamilton overran and they had to come back to play the last game, even though it was 5-1. Lawlor averaged 39 seconds and Hamilton 33. Lawlor has said that is how he has always played and isn't going to change now, which I think is a fair comment.

Michael Georgiou is struggling at the moment and lost 6-0. He hasn't taken advantage of his win in the comedy event.
  • Options

Lawlor v Hamilton overran and they had to come back to play the last game, even though it was 5-1. Lawlor averaged 39 seconds and Hamilton 33. Lawlor has said that is how he has always played and isn't going to change now, which I think is a fair comment.

Michael Georgiou is struggling at the moment and lost 6-0. He hasn't taken advantage of his win in the comedy event.

Thats happened a few times now.

As you say Hamilton v Lawler had to come back last night also yesterday Jimmy Robertson v Jordan Brown and today Rory Mcleod v Peter lines taken off and Robbie Williams v Ian Burns.

The issue is they are not allowed to start a new frame after 2pm so everything can be ready for 2.30 matches
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Thats happened a few times now.

As you say Hamilton v Lawler had to come back last night also yesterday Jimmy Robertson v Jordan Brown and today Rory Mcleod v Peter lines taken off and Robbie Williams v Ian Burns.

The issue is they are not allowed to start a new frame after 2pm so everything can be ready for 2.30 matches
    No the issue is they are all slow players and/or their match time has overun. in any scheduled tourney they have set times eg. pool tournament in blackpool i played this year (will next) 2 hour windows turn around as they have lot of matches to get through. Will always get a few, its annoying they cant just finish but they know before hand what will happen.

In my circs, we actually got delayed by the match in front so started 20 mins/ half hour late, we were well within our 2 hour slot but they put us onto 2 tables to finish because of the ones before overun. Still great comp and very well run but was a slight grumble we were penalised because of the match before.... If we get on a stream ill put on FB as they stream some tables

thats my thoughts on it, you will always get slow players but you should try to control this to some extent otherwise it impacts others on the tour.
  • Options
    Its not always slow players tho.

As i said 1 of the matches that was pulled off yesterday abd had to return was Jimmy Robertson beating Jordan Brown 64

Jimmy had an AST of 22
    Jordan had an AST of 26

Some players are slow yes and its no surprise to see Lawler and McLeod over run but sometimes a few frames where the balls go safe, or a few frames with a extended safety period and its liable to overrun last night Higgins v Poomjaeng finished after midnight, it was the last match but again that was not due to slow play but some extended tougher frames
  • Options

Its not always slow players tho.

As i said 1 of the matches that was pulled off yesterday abd had to return was Jimmy Robertson beating Jordan Brown 64

Jimmy had an AST of 22
    Jordan had an AST of 26

Some players are slow yes and its no surprise to see Lawler and McLeod over run but sometimes a few frames where the balls go safe, or a few frames with a extended safety period and its liable to overrun last night Higgins v Poomjaeng finished after midnight, it was the last match but again that was not due to slow play but some extended tougher frames

Thats fair, regardless if their own fault or not if they have a tactical frame or 2 and fall behind they know they are going to get pulled off and have to continue when the table is next free. Or maybe they should be aware of the time so they can either speed up r just accept they will have to complete later.

if the last session eg. night and there is no other games to follow they should always be played out as they are not affecting anyone else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never once disagreed @johnnybev1987 i agree they should be pulled off, there are other tournements that dont do that and i think its wrong, the afternoon session starts at 2.30 so if the game is not finsihed by 2pm they should be pulled off haha
  • Options
    Baird beat Wembo thats a shock and Lliang made a couple of centuries and big breaks
  • Options
    Will do a full update after the lasr game but as 1 is only 4-3 it might be a while yet, but we could have a new(old) World number 1 before the emd of 2018.

Mark Selby has for the 2nd year in a row lost in round 1 of the UK Championship

If Mark Williams wins the event he caps a great 2018 off by becoming World Number 1
  • Options
    UK Championship
    Round 1
    Results

Hossein Vafaei 6-5 Ashley Hugill
    Luca Brecel 6-4 Fan Zhengyi
    Xiao Guodong 6-4 Sean O'Sullivan
    Stephen Maguire 6-3 Simon Lichtenberg
    Rory McLeod 6-3 Peter Lines
    Matthew Stevens 6-4 Ross Muir
    Ian Burns 6-5 Robbie Williams
    Yan Bingtao 6-1 Lukas Kleckers
    Mark Davis 6-4 Sam Craigie
    Peter Ebdon 6-2 Chris Totten
    Barry Hawkins 6-0 Jamie Rhys Clark
    Mark King 6-5 Elliott Slessor
    Sam Baird 6-5 Liang Wenbo
    Mei Xiwen 6-5 Fergal O'Brien
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-1 Luke Simmonds
    Chris Wakelin 6-1 Duane Jones
    Ali Carter 6-3 Thor Chuan Leong
    Scott Donaldson 6-3 Li Yuan
    Kurt Maflin 6-3 Zhang Anda
    Lu Ning 6-5 Anthony McGill
    Noppon Saengkham 6-1 Hamza Akbar
    James Cahill 6-3 Mark Selby
    Daniel Wells 6-5 Zhao Xintong
    Mark Williams 6-2 Adam Duffy
  • Options
    UK Championship
    Round 2

Quarter 1

Ronnie O'Sullivan(3) v Ken Doherty(68)
    Zhou Yuelong(32) v Mark Davis(33)
    Marco Fu(16) v Luo Honghao(83)
    Jack Lisowski(17) v Mei Xiwen(84)
    Tian Pengfei(91) v Jimmy Robertson(24)
    Martin O'Donnell(59) v Chen Feilong(124)
    Ben Woollaston(40) v Xiao Guodong(25)
    Matt Selt(60) v Ding Junhui(8)

Quarter 2

Judd Trump(5) v Dominic Dale(63)
    Mark King(23) v Li Hang(37)
    Joe O'Connor(121) v Andrew Higginson(53)
    Joe Perry(21) v Michael Holt(46)
    Mark Joyce(47) v Lu Ning(112)
    Liam Highfield(55) v Luca Brecel(13)
    Tom Ford(36) v Rob Milkins(29)
    Alan McManus(64) v John Higgins(4)

Quarter 3

James Cahill(A) v Akani Somgsermsawad(65)
    Jak Jones(102) v Joe Swail(97)
    Stuart Bingham(14) v Kurt Maflin(54)
    Dave Gilbert(19) v Peter Ebdon(48)
    Paul Davison(89) v Yan Bingtao(22)
    Mike Dunn(57) v Kyren Wilson(11)
    Gary Wilson(38) v Sam Baird(105)
    Ian Burns(73) v Barry Hawkins(6)

Quarter 4

Mark Allen(7) v Rory McLeod(61)
    Martin Gould(26) v Hossein Vafaei(39)
    Neil Robertson(10) v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh(58)
    Graeme Dott(23) v Matthew Stevens(42)
    Chris Wakelin(49) v Ali Carter(18)
    Scott Donaldson(53) v Stephen Maguire(15)
    Noppon Saengkham(34) v Rod Lawler(101)
    Daniel Wells(66) v Mark Williams(2)
  • Options
    Big story developing with two Chinese players banned for match fixing. Snooker has a huge problem.
  • Options

Big story developing with two Chinese players banned for match fixing. Snooker has a huge problem.

This has been ongoing for a few months, both players picked up suspensions whilst being investigated, as you say both now have full bans

Cao Yupeng- got an 8 year ban, reduced to 6 due to his guilty plea which he will serve 2 and a half years the remaining 3 and a half will be suspended as long as he keeps to his written agreement

So his ban runs from 25th May 2018 till 24th November 2020

Yu Delu- got a 12 year ban reduced to 10 years and 9 months for his guilty plea(even tho he changed to guilty very late)

So his ban runs from 25ty May 2018 till 24th February 2029
  • Options
    Full WBPSA statement regarding Delu ans Yupeng

WPBSA Disciplinary Hearing Result

At hearings that took place on 21st September and 2nd November 2018 before a three person Independent Tribunal Chaired by David Casement QC, Cao Yupeng and Yu Delu admitted breaches of the WPBSA Members Rules. This followed a lengthy investigation by the WPBSA Integrity Unit working with Sportradar Integrity Services and with support from the SBIU at the UK Gambling Commission.

In the case of Yu Delu the Tribunal found that he engaged in deliberate and premeditated corruption to secure substantial financial gain for his friends/associates and himself. He was involved in match-fixing on five occasions in five tournaments and his activity covers a period of 2 and a half years and he did this for substantial reward. He also admitted lying to the investigator, failing to cooperate with the investigation and betting on snooker when prohibited from doing so.

The finding of the Tribunal was that the starting point for Mr Delu was a suspension of 12 years. He was given credit for his plea of guilty, albeit late in the proceedings, and the actual sanction imposed was a suspension of 10 years and 9 months to run from 25th May 2018 until 24th February 2029. He was also ordered to pay £20,823.80 towards the WPBSA costs.

In the case of Cao Yupeng, he admitted to fixing the outcome of three matches in 2016 and failing to fully cooperate with the WPBSA inquiry.

The finding of the Tribunal was that the starting point for Mr Yupeng was a suspension of eight years. He was given credit for his plea of guilty which reduced the suspension to six years. Of that period he will serve a suspension of two and a half years unconditionally. The remaining three and a half years shall be suspended provided there is compliance with the written terms agreed between Mr Yupeng and the WPBSA to provide significant assistance to the WPBSA in its anti-corruption work.

Provided Mr Yupeng complies with his written agreement with the WPBSA, his suspension will run from 25th May 2018 until 24th November 2020. He was ordered to pay £15,558 towards the WPBSA costs.
  • Options
    Charges admitted by both players

Yu Delu charges admitted

1. That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Martin McCrudden at the Indian Open Qualifiers on 12th February 2015 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

2. That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Dominic Dale at the Paul Hunter Classic in Germany on 29th August 2015 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

3. That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Ian Glover at the Welsh Open in Wales on 15th February 2016 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

4. That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Michael Georgiou at the European Masters Qualifiers on 4th August 2017 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

5. That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Kurt Maflin at the Shanghai Masters on 15th November 2017 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

6. Between June and October 2017 you were approached to fix a match that you were to play in and you failed to report the approaches within 24 hours to the Company Secretary or Tournament Official in breach of Rule 4.1 of the WPBSA Members Rules.

8. That you failed to cooperate with the investigation by failing to provide material that was requested of you during the investigation in breach of Rule 4.4 of the WPBSA Members Rules.

9. That you have been betting on snooker in breach of Rule 2.1.1.1 of the WPBSA Members Rules,

Cao Yupeng charges admitted

1.That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Ali Carter at the Welsh Open in Wales 15th January 2016 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

2. That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Stuart Bingham Indian Open Qualifiers on 30th June 2016 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

3. That you agreed to fix the outcome of your match with Stephen Maguire at the UK Championships in York on 24th November 2016 in breach of Rule 2.1.2.1 ,

4. That you failed to cooperate with the investigation by failing to provide material that was requested of you during the investigation in breach of Rule 4.4 of the WPBSA Members Rules
  • Options
    China's Yu Delu has been banned from snooker for 10 years and nine months after a major match-fixing inquiry.

His compatriot Cao Yupeng also pleaded guilty to fixing, and was banned for six years although three and a half years of his sentence are suspended.

Suspicious betting patterns in numerous matches were investigated over two years in one of the sport's biggest corruption scandals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/46383380
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    great result for the amateur James Cahill beating Selby
  • Options
    UK Championship
    Round 2
    Results

Stephen Maguire 6-4 Scott Donaldson
    Jack Lisowski 6-1 Mei Xiwen
    Alan McManus 6-5 John Higgins
    Tian Pengfei 6-2 Jimmy Robertson
    Neil Robertson 6-3 Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Mark Williams 6-0 Daniel Wells
    Xiao Guodong 6-3 Ben Woollaston
    Zhou Yuelong 6-4 Mark Davis
    Stuart Bingham 6-5 Kurt Maflin
    Barry Hawkins 6-0 Ian Burns
    Akani Songsermsawad 6-5 James Cahill
    Kyren Wilson 6-2 Mike Dunn
    Tom Ford 6-5 Rob Milkins
    Lu Ning 6-4 Mark Joyce
    Mark King 6-2 Li Hang
    Joe Perry 6-1 Michael Holt
  • Options
    UK Championship
    Round 2
    Results

Yan Bingtao 6-1 Paul Davison
    Dave Gilbert 6-4 Peter Ebdon
    Luca Brecel 6-5 Liam Highfield
    Jak Jones 6-5 Joe Swail
    Martin O'Donnell 6-5 Chen Feilong
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 6-5 Ken Doherty
    Ding Junhui 6-5 Matt Selt
    Gary Wilson 6-3 Sam Baird
    Mark Allen 6-2 Rory McLeod
    Graeme Dott 6-2 Matthew Stevens
    Marco Fu 6-2 Luo Honghao
    Hossein Vafaei 6-4 Martin Gould
    Joe O'Conor 6-3 Andrew Higginson
    Noppon Saengkham 6-0 Rod Lawler
    Judd Trump 6-5 Dominic Dale
    Ali Carter 6-4 Chris Wakelin
  • Options
    UK Championship
    Round 3

Quarter 1

Ronnie O'Sullivan(3) v Zhou Yuelong(32)
    Marco Fu(16) v Jack Lisowski(17)
    Tian Pengfei(91) v Martin O'Donnell(59)
    Xiao Guodong(25) v Ding Junhui(8)

Quarter 2

Judd Trump(5) v Mark King(23)
    Joe O'Connor(121) v Joe Perry(21)
    Lu Ning(112) v Luca Brecel(13)
    Tom Ford(36) v Alan McManus(64)

Quarter 3

Akani Songsermsawad(65) v Jak Jones(102)
    Stuart Bingham(14) v Dave Gilbert(19)
    Yan Bimgtao(22) v Kyren Wilson(11)
    Gary Wilson(38) v Barry Hawkins(6)

Quarter 4

Mark Allen(7) v Hossein Vafaei(39)
    Neil Robertson(10) v Graeme Dott(23)
    Ali Carter(18) v Stephen Maguire(15)
    Noppon Saengkham(34) v Mark Williams(2)
  • Options
    There is a massive massive game there.
    Watch out for Lisowski v Fu.

In the live table
    Lisowski is 16th with £282,100
    Fu is 17th with £276,000

Last event to qualify for the Masters this could decide who gets that last spot.

Thers is still an outside chance of Carter getting there as well but its likely the winner of this match will be at Ally Pally in Jan
  • Options
    I see O'Sullivan wants to set up a rival tour, including the two banned Chinese players and Hendry.
  • Options

I see O'Sullivan wants to set up a rival tour, including the two banned Chinese players and Hendry.

Let him haha, cant see to many sponsers wanting to get involved with players who are banned for match fixing,

Ronnies comments last night were a disgrace to the game, and he rightly got told to shut up by Barry Hearn, a few other players have come out criticizing Ronnie and his comments as well
  • Options
    For those that didnt see I will find the tweet
  • Options
    Harshly treated, he has said a lot of shit over the years but this by far is his most stupid comment ever, great response from Hearn.