Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    You'd think so, looking at her
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Just in time for the snow, the first Lamplighter subscription beer for 2022. A sour Belgian Quadruple (10.9%) aged in bourbon barrels. Very nice on a cold night. 

• Options
    Been down in the West Country for a few days and have been drinking my body weight in this and Tribute 

• Options

The first of the trip in Brasil.  
    Served the Brasilian way, this Bohemia is alright compared to their poor standards.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Not trying this again, yuk.

What? 
  • Options
    Their lighter version was also very drinkable @PragueAddick. Be interested in what you think if you track it down a bit closer to home. 

• Options
    Their lighter version was also very drinkable @PragueAddick. Be interested in what you think if you track it down a bit closer to home. 

Just read your story about the sell-by date. Intriguing. I’m sure it got stuck in the “supply-chain issue”, just like the A4 envelope containg the sale contract for my house😡, but odd how it found its way to your small shop.

The Czech micro-breweries do set themselves quite tough BB dates, but they also largely favour bottles, and big 0.75 litre ones at that. I have a feeling, not backed by any knowledge, that canned beer might deteriorate more slowly than bottled stuff. I’ll ask a mate who will know.

I’m going to try and track this beer down, now that Dry Jan is nearly over🍺🍺🍺
  • Options
    Beer will deteriorate faster if exposed to light, hence the widespread use of brown glass. Beer such as Corona and US Budweiser can't actually deteriorate as it's already pish, hence clear glass.
  • Options
    Anyone manage to get their hands on a tin of Verdant - Putty? Missed the boat, now sold out everywhere…
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CHG said:
    Anyone manage to get their hands on a tin of Verdant - Putty? Missed the boat, now sold out everywhere…
    Bought 8 cans last year (had to buy from two places though as you were only allowed to buy four per customer). Can’t tell if the beer is actually all that or it’s just a great marketing thing. 
  • Options
    CHG said:
    I don’t usually post here, just browse. But, by chance on Thursday I was persuaded into buying a can of Putty, it helps that I live in Cornwall.

What’s the deal with it? I’ve seen lots of people hyping it up. Going to crack it open tonight 👌

There’s still 3 cans left in my local bottle shop.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Beer will deteriorate faster if exposed to light, hence the widespread use of brown glass. Beer such as Corona and US Budweiser can't actually deteriorate as it's already pish, hence clear glass.
    You missed out any Aussie beer and almost all lagers.

Too many awful beers to list, but generally the bigger the brewery the worse the beer. Certain exceptions to that rule, of course.

• Options
    CHG said:
    I don’t usually post here, just browse. But, by chance on Thursday I was persuaded into buying a can of Putty, it helps that I live in Cornwall.

What’s the deal with it? I’ve seen lots of people hyping it up. Going to crack it open tonight 👌

Was it any good?
  • Options
    Brew dog Elvis juice. Well known to many but I haven't had it before. Enjoying a discounted four pack this evening, it has a nice tang.
  • Options

The first of the trip in Brasil.  
    Served the Brasilian way, this Bohemia is alright compared to their poor standards.
    Had no idea that you were off on a trip to Brazil.
    When are you back?
  • Options
    CHG said:
    CHG said:

Was it any good?
    Yes, very nice. Bit too strong for what I usually like but it tasted very good.

I’ve got Firebrand’s taproom who are another Cornish craft brewery within walking distance of my house so had a few pints there before and the Putty went down very nicely afterwards!
  • Options

As a lager, Louvain is decent, this was too syrupy and heavy.
    £3.50 in a supermarket in Brasil would be about £6 in a boozer. Very expensive.
  • Options

Needed a bit of fizz after the above.
  • Options
    Night Shift - One Hop This Time IPA made with Nelson Sauvin  Nice and refreshing for a 6%. 

I’ve had a few beers made with NS and they’ve been consistently good. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    @CHG re: Putty...I genuinely don't understand the hype...for me, most of Verdant's beers are indistinguishable from the other and many have that 'onion' after taste... but, they have a good following and sell well, so maybe it's just me. The other hype beer that will be out shortly is Chubbles (and its various iterations) from Cloudwater. That one I do like and do/will buy.  Have decided not to spend a fortune on imported US craft this year, so will be stocking up on Boxcar, Pollys, DEYA and Pressure Drop instead. Cheers
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited February 2022
    @CHG re: Putty...I genuinely don't understand the hype...for me, most of Verdant's beers are indistinguishable from the other and many have that 'onion' after taste... but, they have a good following and sell well, so maybe it's just me. The other hype beer that will be out shortly is Chubbles (and its various iterations) from Cloudwater. That one I do like and do/will buy.  Have decided not to spend a fortune on imported US craft this year, so will be stocking up on Boxcar, Pollys, DEYA and Pressure Drop instead. Cheers
    I see, I get what you say about Verdant, a few friends have a similar view. I guess the difference is I love it. Managed to get a batch of Allens for Christmas, delicious. I do have it as a go to beer. DEYA, Boxcar, Pressure Drop are all fine breweries, I would add LHG to that list too. 
  • Options

If only the booze was as good as the restaurant here in Cuiabá.
    This has more fizz than my bottom on a Sunday morning.
  • Options

This one from down south in Porto Alegre is very nice.  Unlike me, it has a lot of body.
  • Options

This one is very like the Oakham Citra found in the wonderful Wetherspoons chain.
  • Options

If only the booze was as good as the restaurant here in Cuiabá.
    This has more fizz than my bottom on a Sunday morning.
    Blimey, I've seen more colour in a glass of tap water.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @ElfsborgAddick There's very little "wonderful" about Weatherspoons!
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    @ElfsborgAddick There's very little "wonderful" about Weatherspoons!
    The price and variety.
  • Options

A very poor second to a Whitstable Bay Blonde.
    It serves well as a nightcap though B)