Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer

Comments

• This was quite stunning. Very spicy. 
  • Both very nice although one of them isn’t Italian  
    Paulaner is decent.
  • edited May 2022
    I’m on the train to New York, so I picked this up in the buffet car. Nice change from NEIPA. Very malty

• Nice, I'm on a train to London and I picked up Salmonella in the buffet car ;)
  • I’m on the train to New York, so I picked this up in the buffet car. Nice change from NEIPA. Very malty

I'd like to give that a taste! Knowing a little about the brewing process, I wonder what "continually hopped" means - sounds like marketing guff to me.
  • Never had that one, but have had other Dogfish Head beers in the past and usually very decent
  • Saga Lout said:
    I’m on the train to New York, so I picked this up in the buffet car. Nice change from NEIPA. Very malty

I'd like to give that a taste! Knowing a little about the brewing process, I wonder what "continually hopped" means - sounds like marketing guff to me.
    Perhaps it means they don’t put all the hops in in one go, they add them one at a time during the entire length of the brew.

• Some more from our trip to Italy, there wasn’t a bad one in the whole bunch.
  • Warm sunny day in NYC means a trip to Other Half. Starting with a blueberry/blackberry Berliner Weisse. 

• Sponsored links:

• Saga Lout said:

Perhaps it means they don’t put all the hops in in one go, they add them one at a time during the entire length of the brew.
    It’s pretty much that - instead of adding a bunch in the boil and then a second batch at the end, they continuously add hops throughout the process. The claim is that it’s makes them hoppy without intense bitterness. Maybe my tastebuds are shot, but I could discern any hoppyness, just malt. It was nice though. 
  • Had a very nice bottle of coffee stout from aldi, courtesy of my next door neighbour. Note, it is NOT the Harper's one, has a grey label with white writing "Coffee Stout, rich dark and indulgent". 5.2%. Sometimes the flavours in these things can be overdone, but this one was spot on, drunk chilled in the garden. Veryt smooth, creamy with hint of caramel and vanilla. £1.49 a bottle I think. I'll be down there for some once I need to top up.
  • Before moving to the imperial IPAs, I thought I’d try Other Half’s Forever Ever DDH Session IPA. Most attempts are a bit thin and watery, but this has got really good flavor and at 4.7%, it’s definitely on the low end for craft beer here. 

• Saga Lout said:

It’s pretty much that - instead of adding a bunch in the boil and then a second batch at the end, they continuously add hops throughout the process. The claim is that it’s makes them hoppy without intense bitterness. Maybe my tastebuds are shot, but I could discern any hoppyness, just malt. It was nice though. 
    Thanks! If I ever put my brewing pants on again, I might try that.
  • I’m not going to bother with photos because they all look the same. 

I Aced in Space - Imperial IPA with an experimental powdered yeast with a definite tropical citrus taste, although not the advertised passion fruit. Very nice at 8.5%.  But not as good as -

Triple Dry Hopped All Citra Everything - I expected this to be very flowery, but it wasn’t. Just very smooth and deceptive for another 8.5% Imperial IPA. 
  • Had this last week in the lakes. Bright, hoppy, refreshing, perfect after an ascent of Catbells. 
    (Skiddaw in the background)
  • Hungarian cherry beer. Soproni and Dreher seem to be the main brands. It's about 4%, and tastes more of cherries than of beer. It's probably all artificial colouring and flavouring, given it's about HUF 390 (85p) for a 500ml tin. I should probably hate this beer, but actually I really like it. I will be bringing back a tray of these.
    I am less keen on the mango version.
  • @SomervilleAddick - just catching up on this and you were in my happy place... Love OH.. Managed to get a few over here via Cloudwater Brewery a couple of weeks ago...never mind the £8 pint, these are the £10+ cans .... Also got some Finnback and Evil Twin at the same time...both of whom were represented at a local beer festival over the weekend and which I got far too familiar with...  Time for a bit of a break now.. Cheers
  • @Charlton_Charlie definitely a must visit on my trips to NY. First trip down since I retired and made the mistake of staying at one of my usual hotels in midtown. Should have stayed over in Brooklyn as there’s a lot of decent places over there. 

I did a brewery crawl a few years back, starting at Finback and then working my way around Long Island City. It was a nice way to spend a day, although a few of the breweries were in run down industrial units. None of them had the charm of the scrap metal yard by OH. 
  • Lovely evening here - time to sit on the deck and have a Bissell Substance. Very good NEIPA. 

• Sponsored links:

• A new taproom for me - Castle Island in South Boston. Nice set up and some decent beers. Fluorescent Trash Panda shown. Nice session type beer. The strawberry/lemon sour was very pleasant as well. The dry hopped lager, not so much. 

• Saulc23 said:
    Not sure if the purists are going to be accepting of this post but I’m looking for some recommendations on the best Alcohol Free/ Low Alcohol (0.5%) beers.

Taking a couple months off drinking but don’t want to have to stop enjoying beers if possible! 

Usually drink IPA or Pale Ale if available but have no issues with a good lager.

Any suggestions? 
    Late to the party (if that is an appropriate description given the subject) but Doombar Zero is quite palatable in my opinion.
  • LenGlover said:
    Saulc23 said:
    Not sure if the purists are going to be accepting of this post but I’m looking for some recommendations on the best Alcohol Free/ Low Alcohol (0.5%) beers.

Taking a couple months off drinking but don’t want to have to stop enjoying beers if possible! 

Usually drink IPA or Pale Ale if available but have no issues with a good lager.

Any suggestions? 
    Late to the party (if that is an appropriate description given the subject) but Doombar Zero is quite palatable in my opinion.

A brave move praising Doombar on this thread. Unless it’s brewed in the dilapidated  garden shed of a 3rd generation hippy using passion and guava fruit, and served in a glass shaped like an Indonesian penis, then it’s not really beer. 
  • should rename this thread craft beer 
  • Tried a Guinness cold brew coffee beer, really nice.
  • New brewery day - Untold Brewing in Scituate, Massachusetts. Nice spot, about a dozen beers on tap. Starting off with Just Ripe - a cherry/blackberry sour. Not bad, although could be a little more tart. 

• And the obligatory NEIPA - Sunny Sea, as they’re near the coast. They’re  using lactose in theirs which gives it a really smooth mouthfeel, and it’s a bit citrusy. Not too strong at 6.4%.

Trip up to Novare Res in Portland, Maine for a special collaboration release between Allagash, Russian River and Cantillon. Aside from the special beer, they’ve got a bunch of beers from each brewery including Pliny. Never seen around here so looking forward to finding out if it’s as good as claimed
  • @SomervilleAddick you are leading the life I want to live! Covid test permitting I'm heading to California next month (San Fran, Sacramento, Santa Cruz and LA), so will be heading to Humble Sea (SC) and Monkish (LA) breweries, plus any others I can find that my wife doesn't mind me leaving her for a few hours for.. :-)
  • @Charlton_Charlie It’s great having time to do this. I retired last year and there are so many small breweries in  New England that your never far from one. The only problem is I have to drive, so twos the limit. But not today, staying overnight once I saw the full beer list. 
  • Here’s the beer that started this - Wild Friendship Beer. Very nicely balanced geueze. Sour, but not too sour, a bit of barnyard but not too much. Shame you’re only allowed one, but them’s the rules.