Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP: Powell expecting player activity

Comments

• Options
    Mancienne's been injured but is just about fit again now. He's lost his place to Johan Djourou and a 17 year old called Jonathan Tah (watch out for him...) but can't see him leaving for The Championship even if HSV are as/more skint than Charlton.
  • Options
    be interesting (of course) to see who comes and who goes .. I would wager that the newcomers will be little known and regarded or total unknowns .. like Kermorgant and Wood .. we hope
  • Options
    Obika did well. He scored a number of decent goals as super sub. He was always very quick and fitted in well. Obika over Sordell any day on what they have both done for the club so far.

I will be surprised though if Obika played again at Charlton as Levy does not like to loan out a player to the same club twice. Charlton would have to put their hands in their pockets for a not insubstantial transfer fee. I can't see that happening either.
  • Options
    Don't understand the hype around Obika.
  • Options
    same old, same old, get loan players in that other clubs don't rate, in front of home grown academy players…disappointing !
  • Options
    madadd said:

same old, same old, get loan players in that other clubs don't rate, in front of home grown academy players…disappointing !

Yeah academy players aren't getting a look in are they... ? Come on.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    To the person who suggested Rudy Gestede: I've seen him play a few times and he's terrible. A less skillful Carl Leaburn.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

To the person who suggested Rudy Gestede: I've seen him play a few times and he's terrible. A less skillful Carl Leaburn.

You mean like Messi?
  • Options
    Obika may not be much better, but I'd bet he's cheaper!
  • Options
    So many strange comments on obika when he got his chance he played well and scored

Good player obika when you are shopping in the stores we are

Jesus christ he is a long way from the shopping days of sodje and anyinsah

We need bodies able ones to cover us until jan obika fits this bill more than anyone else

But like smudge I think that its a narrow view as there must be others of his standard

All I can think is that he wouldn't take much to bed in as he knows them all virtually

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite liked Obika he came in and scored goals, that's pretty much what you want from a striker
  • Options
    When the American takeover happens, we will be back to shopping at Waitrose rather than Lidl's. But I feel we need a couple of loans before the window closes. I would be very happy to have Obika back or Harry Kane. I feel we need cover at Centre Half as Morrison is resting a back problem and Cort is still out. I didn't see Wood training yesterday so I think he is struggling to be fit for Saturday.
  • Options
    We need decent players to cover and have needed them for quite some time. Any players that come in now would only be short term loans i believe. We need a defender and striker in on loan at least. Obika is more than capable and a lot better than Sordell from what i have seen to date (though i think Sordell needs a run to get confidence). Wood and Cort being injured has increased the need for a CB cover as well. I can't see us getting any quality signings though so i think we need to be realistic. Though I hope we don't end up with people like that guy we had from Wolves last season at this time. He was shocking.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

When the American takeover happens, we will be back to shopping at Waitrose rather than Lidl's. But I feel we need a couple of loans before the window closes. I would be very happy to have Obika back or Harry Kane. I feel we need cover at Centre Half as Morrison is resting a back problem and Cort is still out. I didn't see Wood training yesterday so I think he is struggling to be fit for Saturday.

when shopping at Lidi you get value for money .. Waitrose? .. mostly an overhyped and overpriced rip off of a store .. only for snobs with more money than sense ...
    We want hard working v f m players, not expensive poseurs
  • Options
    Agree with nla. Unless we can get in a very proven championship striker then I would be very happy to see Obika return. What's more to the point is I think SCP would too.
  • Options
    Harry Kane could go on to be a top player but I don't get the idea of developing other teams young talent for half a season at the expense of our own.

Fact is we need ours to develop because at some point we will need to raise money from selling and the most likely sale will be a young player who has briefly caught the eye. Like Jenkinson.

I will be pleasantly surprised if CP is allowed to sign any obvious improvement to our current options. If no improvement why waste the dosh especially when we are no doubt shelling out for Bolton's player not to play?

As for a proven championship striker, how often have we found such a person in the past on a loan deal? They aren't playing for a reason.
  • Options
    IIRC Obika is out of contract at the end of the season. Sign him on a pre contract basis in January?
  • Options

So many strange comments on obika when he got his chance he played well and scored

We need bodies able ones to cover us until jan obika fits this bill more than anyone else

But like smudge I think that its a narrow view as there must be others of his standard

All I can think is that he wouldn't take much to bed in as he knows them all virtually

Agree 100%. The fact that Powell has already worked with him and to my eye linked well with Yann means virtually no bedding in period.
  • Options
    Nick Pope to York City
  • Options

Nick Pope to York City

Good move for him.It means he will be playing in the football league for the first time apart from his 20 minute cameo for us against Bristol City.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

dickplumb said:

when shopping at Lidi you get value for money .. Waitrose? .. mostly an overhyped and overpriced rip off of a store .. only for snobs with more money than sense ...
    Outrageous! Not only do you get free GOOD coffee, but you can also get a free copy of the Guardian (or the Mail, if you're more that way inclined).
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

When the American takeover happens, we will be back to shopping at Waitrose rather than Lidl's.

Terrific! My girlfriend's got a waitrose loyalty card that gets us money off each time we spend a certain amount, new owners and more posh scoff :D !! Or maybe not...
    When did SLP's "british property/investment business interest" become an american takeover?
    Not.Holding.Breath.

• Options

Agree 100%. The fact that Powell has already worked with him and to my eye linked well with Yann means virtually no bedding in period.
    don't we need a Kermy type player though? We have Sodall and Church to play off a 'target' man, it's when Yann is injured we are in trouble in my opinion.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

dickplumb said:

Outrageous! Not only do you get free GOOD coffee, but you can also get a free copy of the Guardian (or the Mail, if you're more that way inclined).
    there you go .... not just cheap v f m groceries at Lidl but free GOOD coffee and a choice of rubbish rag to read ((:>) .. (or did you mean Waitrose for a free bevvy(erage) ?)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

dickplumb said:

When the American takeover happens, we will be back to shopping at Waitrose rather than Lidl's.

When did SLP's "british property/investment business interest" become an american takeover?
    about page 2 of the new takeover thread when someone said they had heard it was American's
  • Options

dickplumb said:

about page 2 of the new takeover thread when someone said they had heard it was American's
    British based property company where the main player is a yank
  • Options
    I'd like Obika back. I know he's not the only player in the world but he did a good job for us and I think he'd actually be amenable to returning. A lot of names get thrown around but how many loan players will put themselves about for the team? certainly not Sordell from what I've seen. Obika had a good combination of scoring some important goals and a lot of effort. He also seemed to really appreciate the support he got from the stands and I think he'd put in the work for us. We're not a terrible side. We defend well, we work had and we do carve out some decent chances, we just don't score enough of them, and that means that we drop precious points where we shouldn't. We just need a player who will pop up with the important goals when we need them, and Obika made a go of that when he was here before. It's not about who is 'better' when it comes to him and Sordell, it's about who fits into the team
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Powell interested in Keane of Man Utd, a centre back again reported by the SLP:

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=39967&headline=Exclusive:
  • Options

I'd like Obika back. I know he's not the only player in the world but he did a good job for us and I think he'd actually be amenable to returning. A lot of names get thrown around but how many loan players will put themselves about for the team? certainly not Sordell from what I've seen. Obika had a good combination of scoring some important goals and a lot of effort. He also seemed to really appreciate the support he got from the stands and I think he'd put in the work for us. We're not a terrible side. We defend well, we work had and we do carve out some decent chances, we just don't score enough of them, and that means that we drop precious points where we shouldn't. We just need a player who will pop up with the important goals when we need them, and Obika made a go of that when he was here before. It's not about who is 'better' when it comes to him and Sordell, it's about who fits into the team

Spot on. He seemed to fit in well before and could do again.

There maybe better players we can afford after the t******* but for now he is the known option
  • Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but we have striker Amido Batis-Cande on trial