Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality 2013

Nominations out

Ten contenders have been shortlisted for next month's 60th BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.
Athletes Mo Farah, Christine Ohuruogu and Hannah Cockroft are included along with tennis star Andy Murray and cyclist Chris Froome.
Golfer Justin Rose, sailor Sir Ben Ainslie, jockey AP McCoy, cricketer Ian Bell and rugby union player Leigh Halfpenny also make the list.

Can't see past A Murray

Comments

• Options
    Murray is nailed on . 25 to 1 ON ! at Betfair - AP McCoy second favourite at 45-1
  • Options
    Think I am the only person I know who think Murray should not win ok he won Wimbledon but what else has he done this year

I will never forget Anyone But England
  • Options
    Would like to see Froome Dog win it but Cav won it in 2011 and Wiggo won it last year. The chance of a cyclist winning it for the third year on the trot.......nah this is the BBC.
  • Options

Think I am the only person I know who think Murray should not win ok he won Wimbledon but what else has he done this year

Yep, winning Wimbledon is something we do all the time. LOL

• Options
    The only way the outcome could change is if Ian Bell scores 300+ in the second test and that's highly unlikely.
  • Options
    I understand its the first time in years but its 1 tournament and what has he done for the rest of the season, he is evens to be knighted to its ridiculous
  • Options
    Out of interest Paulie if not Murray, who?
  • Options

I understand its the first time in years but its 1 tournament and what has he done for the rest of the season, he is evens to be knighted to its ridiculous

So, if England win the World Cup next year they should not be considered as Team of the Year as it's 'just 1 tournament'?

• Options
    It's ridiculous to even suggest it's not going to be Murray. I dont particularly like the bloke but he's the first mens British winner of Wimbledon for 77 years. no one will come close to beating him and quite rightly so..
  • Options

this is the typical British sports fans attitude. It was only one tournament…

do you have the same attitude to british golfers that only win one major per year? or is it that you just don't like murray?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Would like to see Froome Dog win it but Cav won it in 2011 and Wiggo won it last year. The chance of a cyclist winning it for the third year on the trot.......nah this is the BBC.

same here ... but Murray will get it
  • Options
    Chris Froome had a great year including picking up Vélo d'Or(Best Rider of the Year)
    Mo Farah has won some big races as well as breaking records
    AP Mccoy after achieving his 4,000 win

all deserve it more than someone who won 1 tournament and is ranked 4th in the world if you are basing it on that might as well give it to Ronnie O'Sullivan for winning the World Championships
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Chris Froome had a great year including picking up Vélo d'Or(Best Rider of the Year)
    Mo Farah has won some big races as well as breaking records
    AP Mccoy after achieving his 4,000 win

all deserve it more than someone who won 1 tournament and is ranked 4th in the world if you are basing it on that might as well give it to Ronnie O'Sullivan for winning the World Championships

Well no, you have to look the history of our achievement in that particular event, the size of the event, the popularity of the event etc.

Its quite clear you don't like Murray.
  • Options

Seriously? Strangely tennis is one of the only sports I don't really like watching on tv and I'm not a massive fan of Murray.

This was a massive achievement though and he should absolutely and rightly walk it.
  • Options
    I really don't understand this its Wimbledon so that means he clearly deserves it, he is a professional tennis player considered 1 of the best in the world to have 1 major win all season is very poor IMO.
  • Options

I really don't understand this its Wimbledon so that means he clearly deserves it, he is a professional tennis player considered 1 of the best in the world to have 1 major win all season is very poor IMO.

Very poor? lol. Yeah against Federer, Nadal, Djokovic..three of the best tennis players in history..he should be pissing it.
  • Options
    Andy Murray, by a country mile.

How anyone can't see his Wimbledon win as a major achievement is beyond me.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'd like Justin Rose to but despite his US Open win it won't be his year.

On the subject of Murray, as I've said on here before I don't like him or tennis but fair play for winning two grand slams in two years. He'll deserve it, though sod all the BBC uber-brown nosing.
  • Options
    Time they changed the award name to Sports person of the year.
  • Options
    Murray will walk it. No question. Why? because Tennis is one of them sports that you can just watch and you dont need to have that high a level of IQ to understand, so it appeals to the masses. You only have to look at the number of numb nuts that spend days camping outside of Wimbledon to get a ticket. The very same muppets will phone up and vote for him.

I have to say, I dont like Murray nor do I like Tennis but he'll win with a huge margin.

In my opinion, Mo Farah and Chris Froome would be more deserving winners for their performances in the World Championships and the TdF respectively.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Farah didn't win it last year after a double olympic gold, he's got no chance this year.
  • Options

Farah didn't win it last year after a double olympic gold, he's got no chance this year.

He would have done any other year had Wiggo not gone and won the TdF the same year AND a gold medal in the TT. Thats about as big as it gets.

• Options

Time they changed the award name to Sports person of the year.

Agree totally with that.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It would be nice if they gave A P McCoy a lifetime achievement award for his endeavours.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

He would have done any other year had Wiggo not gone and won the TdF the same year AND a gold medal in the TT. Thats about as big as it gets.

He wasn't even in the top 3!
  • Options
    I say it every year and am known for being very boring on the subject...but bearing in mind there is a Welsh BBC Sports PoTY and a Scotland Sports PoTY etc when do we get the English version ?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Andy Murray, by a country mile.

How anyone can't see his Wimbledon win as a major achievement is beyond me.

He should certainly win the overseas category
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

He wasn't even in the top 3!
    Who was 2nd and 3rd then? Blimey, I just assumed he was!

• Options
    Someone in a BBC list with a doping violation and ban??? Surely Not???
  • Options
    Sir Ben Ainslie for me, I can't wait for the duchess to say ' hello Sailor '.