Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality 2013

Comments

• Options
    Here is the wonderful Jeff Powell's opinion......

"What is the matter with Rory McIlroy? No, not just his golf but his attitude to the English.
    When revealing his hope that the Aussies keep marching on to Ashes glory, he adds in general sporting terms: ‘Anyone but England…..’
    Not bright. Not when England is the British powerhouse for advertising, marketing, sponsorship and merchandising revenue.

Nike, for one, will be less than delighted. Nor will the majority of Englishmen and women be enamoured of him.
    Now we know why he is agonising over whether to play for Great Britain or the Republic of Ireland in the Rio Olympics.
    We are often criticised for describing athletes as Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish when they lose but British when they win. But at least, if it can’t be an English triumph, we prefer them to be victorious and celebrate when they are. Witness the London Games.
    McIlroy is not the first to go down this disloyal road.
    As the Scots began accelerating their campaign for independence from the United Kingdom, Andy Murray made provocative remarks about England’s World Cup football team.
    He was younger and less mature at that time, has since had the common sense and good grace to retract… and enjoyed English acclaim for becoming the first Brit to win Wimbledon since baggy trousers.
    McIlroy needs to do the same. If not, Rory, have a nice time at next year’s Open Championship in Hoylake."
  • Options
    So you are all criticizing Mcllroy but what is the difference between him and Murray apart from he said it more recently
  • Options
    edited November 2013

So you are all criticizing Mcllroy but what is the difference between him and Murray apart from he said it more recently
    Context.

Murray was joshing with Tim Henman when he said it. it was, to use a popular word on here, "banter."

McIlroy was in an interview on his own.
  • Options

A lot of difference but as i said before , i dont particularly like Murray either.
  • Options

Who is "all"? One person here I think. Hardly all is it?
  • Options
    Is he a catholic?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I care about Mcllroys opinion on cricket as much as i do Murrays on football.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Context.

Murray was joshing with Tim Henman when he said it. it was, to use a popular word on here, "banter."

I haven't seen the interview, I'm sure the "anyone but England" was tounge in cheek though.

I only put it up here to highlight the way the Daily Mail report things and to feed the people on here who get so worked up about things like this. I feel it's my duty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    From a brief look at an article on Google, it seems he was born a Catholic, Curb It. But he has no religious or political ties.

The 'Anyone but England' comment was clearly a joke relating to Murray. Does seem going by the comment at the end that he is behind the Aussies but could also be he is hoping for a good rest of the series.

Just looks like a bad PR job to me and not really thinking about every word in a press conference, nothing more.
  • Options
    He does have a habbit of saying "the wrong thing" sometimes. Ryder Cup for example.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Context.

I haven't seen the interview, I'm sure the "anyone but England" was tounge in cheek though.

I only put it up here to highlight the way the Daily Mail report things and to feed the people on here who get so worked up about things like this. I feel it's my duty.
    Fair play on the Daily Mail thing Riviera. Awful, awful paper.
  • Options
    What hinders Murray is the word 'personality' in the title. He has clearly been our top sportsperson!
  • Options
    If only we could vote for SCP or Yann!
  • Options
    Like you red murph, watched the interview and its obvious he's joking, taking the pee with the comment but then its quite clear he is actually rooting for Australia.
    Odd bloke, really cant warm to him.
  • Options
    Non-English man decides not to support England in everything....so?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Like you red murph, watched the interview and its obvious he's joking, taking the pee with the comment but then its quite clear he is actually rooting for Australia.
    Odd bloke, really cant warm to him.

I tend to agree with you Curb_It.

But I also think we (certainly I do) forget that the bloke is only 24 years old.

Me at 24 = getting shite faced down The Venue and having the time of my life. I definitely said a lot of stuff and did a lot of stuff then that I regret now. I also had to step out of the way of a river of Anthony Barness' puke on the way to the toilet.

Let's hope he has a look back on that vid and thinks about his comments.
  • Options

this is how i see it. up to them who they want to support.
  • Options
    Like Murray, think its hilarious how he winds some people up.

As a big athetics fan, bit of a shame over this period Mo Farah won't get the recognition he deserves. Amazing achievements.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Froome - Tour de France worth a shout - Cricket team will probably win best team for the Ashes - so hopefully they won't be losing the current series by then!
  • Options

Froome - Tour de France worth a shout - Cricket team will probably win best team for the Ashes - so hopefully they won't be losing the current series by then!

I think the British Lions will top the England cricket team who were hardly at their best in a very poor series.
  • Options
    Disappointing that Bale didn't get in, stellar season.
  • Options

Exactamundo
  • Options
    It's blatantly obvious Murray should win it, winning Wimbledon is an enormous achievement, and whether you like him or not (I actually like him) most people know who he is.

By contrast, how many people would recognise Chris Froome in the street, and he's not British anyway! Born in Kenya, raised in Kenya and S Africa and lives in Monaco!
  • Options
    Adnan Januzaj nominated for Young Sports Personality of the Year.....really?
  • Options
    Nug said:

Adnan Januzaj nominated for Young Sports Personality of the Year.....really?

May be an attempt to make him feel more English...

• Options
    Andy Murray is not turning up on Sunday to pick up the award that he is hot favourite for; he will remain in Miami continuing to prepare for the Australian Open but will feature in a video link-up.

Is this another PR boob from Murray? Or is this event really worth interrupting a concentrated rehabilitation programme for?

I'm sure he'll still win (deservedly so) but it may cost him a few votes.
  • Options
    Dont remember Murray ever being at the Awards themselves due to the Miami Training - Cant blame him for not taking the break from the training either what with the expectation on his shoulders so hope it wont cost him too many votes.

Just hope that Lennox Lewis is there again to hand over the award... Was a bit of TV Gold last year lol!
  • Options
    Leigh Halfpenny for me personally...