Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC Sports Personality 2013

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Amazed Mo didn't make the top 3....

Pleased Murray got it and AP McCoy too but Halfpenny, great season and Lions tour that he undoubtedly had, was a bit lucky in my opinion.

I speak as a rugby fan and former player.
  • Options
    Gutted for Mo not to be in top 3, that was a huge achievement post Olympics.

Froch's eyes seemed a bit lively !
  • Options
    The British lions didn't exactly look over the moon to win.
  • Options
    The Helen Rowlinson award had me in bits, Alan Hansen struggled to hold it together.
  • Options

The Helen Rowlinson award had me in bits, Alan Hansen struggled to hold it together.

Who was the recipient this year Steve pal?
  • Options

Anne Williams was one amazing woman. The way she challenged the highest authority to get the truth and get the papers released and get the inquest's original verdict quashed was nothing short of amazing.
  • Options
    The voting has shades of the Eurovision Song Contest: all the Welsh voting for 1/2a sixpence and the Irish for McCoy. Murray was a shoo in, and obviously, not just the Scots voted for him.
    As said above, Farrar missing out is ridiculous. Still 'the public gets what the public wants' .. who sang that ??
  • Options

As said above, Farrar missing out is ridiculous. Still 'the public gets what the public wants' .. who sang that ??

Athletics is a minority sport.

• Options
    Still 'the public gets what the public wants' .. who sang that ??

Bradley Wiggins Paul Wellar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stone said:

Still 'the public gets what the public wants' .. who sang that ??

Bradley Wiggins Paul Wellar.

indeed it were !!

Athletics is a minority sport.

according the BBC this week (I have no idea where they get their figures from) Athletics has more active participants than does football, so does cycling.
  • Options
    are they classing everyone who happens to go for the occasional 'run' in that!
  • Options

are they classing everyone who happens to go for the occasional 'run' in that!

that was also in my mind .. everyone who has ever run for the bus
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    A well deserved award for Murray, who was clearly quite emotional in his speech.

Ian Bell came 10th in the voting apparently...
  • Options
    I fail to see the relevance of this award anymore. It's just a massive hype up for the BBC. Phone voting and a list of candidates invalidates it in my opinion.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I fail to see the relevance of this award anymore. It's just a massive hype up for the BBC.

Yep totally agree.

It used to be held in the BBC studios with an audience of a couple of hundred, had been like that for years. In fact it started out being called `Sports Review Of The Year'....then 5-6 years ago the BBC decided to spend a shed load of licence fee payers money on creating their very own `Oscars' of sport. They now hire 10k seated arenas, fill the place with `celebrities' on freebies and have turned the whole thing `show biz' whilst claiming to be acting on behalf of the British public. It's a load of bollox imo.

All this of course to cover up the fact that they've lost out on so many big sport TV contracts in recent years.

• Options
    It's always been free - any BBC show is free to go and see. More of the general public get to go now there are more seats. The BBC gets funded according to viewing figures, more people watch a glitzy ceremony than a low key one. Why do you think they have "lost out" on big sports contracts? Because they have not bothered, or because people who will knock them whatever they try to do, will moan about them spending X million to secure the rights to football/rugby/tiddlywinks which only Y number of people are interested in? They can't win either way with some people. By the way I preferred it the way it was before too, but I am old and you have to move with the times.
  • Options
    Afraid it wasn't free, Algarve - £25 to £60 a ticket...

I enjoy it to watch, though - shame when they don't manage to interview all the contenders eg Justin Rose. It's a better event now than when they used to do various "comedy" sketches. Murray a very worthy winner.
  • Options
    How many think Andy Murray will get a Knighthood? in the New Years Honours list.