Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nelson Mandela RIP

Comments

• RIP Mr Mandela
  • edited December 2013
    In my younger days I was passionate about the ending of aparthied, there was an organisation - The federation of conservative students that proposed motions calling for Nelson Mandela to be executed as a terrorist. They wore suits with collars and ties and lapel badges screaming "Hang Nelson Mandela."

At the time, Margaret Thatcher denounced the ANC as a “typical terrorist organization,” and Teddy Taylor MP, said Nelson Mandela “should be shot.”

David Cameron apologised to Nelson Mandela for his party's stance. I respect him for that, but he had something to apologise for. Not a lot of tories like to admit they were members of this group now.

I am saddened when I see the tributes from the same world leaders that paid tribute to Margaret Thatcher. For me that negates the tribute they make. Nelson Mandela is an idea, not a man to us. He is a man to his family but to us he is and should be an inspiration. We need to let him into our hearts and not grieve him as he isn't dead.

He didn't stand for blacks or whites, he stood for a just society. Some of those paying tribute don't.
  • I am not ashamed to admit that I shed a few tears this morning watching the BBC. Mendela was surely the greatest man of my lifetime, imprisoned by an oppressive racist regime for 27 years, one thing he did when free was to invite the man who led his proscecution to lunch. When you hear of fossils millions of years old, you can realise that the human race is just a child. We live in a World filled with anger, hate, greed, and prejudice, where millions die unneccessarily. I would like to think that one day we might learn from this wonderful man.
  • Nelson epitomised everything my late father believed in. I think for one of the things that shows what could have happened to South Africa all you have to do is look over the border and see the mess that the vindictive reign of Mugabe has made of Zimbabwe.
  • edited December 2013
    Take yourself back to the 1980s. it was very clear what was going on in South Africa at the time - if you were offered a paid for holiday there by a company that was against sanctions would you have taken it?

Ask yourself that question?

Mandela was a million times better person than me though. He had the power to forgive.
  • edited December 2013
    There is also a Charlton connection with Madiba.

I loved the story of when Shaun Bartlett was preparing to get married and he received a phone call from Nelson Mandela demanding to be invited the wedding.Not many people would have a world statesman at their wedding.
  • RIP. A man who turned his and millions of other lives around.

He will never be forgotten.
  • One of the men of our time. RIP
  • RIP...plenty said on previous posts that sum things up pretty well, so pleased that we got to visit Robben Island and learn more about him and SA.
  • edited December 2013
    A Man who changed His Nation, His Continent and the World for the better.

Was in Cape Town with the Barmy Army in the 90's and He turned up at Newlands to see the cricket. I don't think I shall feel the emotion his presence bought to the occassion ever again. Loved and respected by everyone.

A Great Man.

RIP Madiba.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP. Wish I had 1% of his courage.
  • A true hero to all RIP
  • Really like the story here about his condolences to the family of a BBC reporter that had died
    http://corriecorfield.tumblr.com/post/69154377530
  • You often here people being referred to as Icons, well with Madiba this probably doesn't sum him up enough. A beloved figure all over the world, but his presence in SA has always been immence. Even though it has been evident for the past 3 months that Madiba did not have long left, there is still a feeling of disbelief amongst South Africans that this great man is no longer going to be part of our lives. There are enough good people in this country to ensure his legacy is continued, but this truly great man will be missed. RIP
  • RobRob
    edited December 2013
    This is truly worthy of an RIP. A great, great man. What an inspiration to so many. RIP Mr Mandela :-( I shed a tear also.
  • Can't find a link but worth digging out the story of the Robben Island Football League
  • RIP to a great peacemaker.
  • Think people might be a little blinkered, about him tbh. My mrs mother is South African and hasn't got a good word to say about him or his wife Winnie

Sorry I know the rules
  • Gumbo said:

Think people might be a little blinkered, about him tbh. My mrs mother is South African and hasn't got a good word to say about him or his wife Winnie

Sorry I know the rules

But ignore them anyway?
  • Sponsored links:

• Farewell to a truly great man
  • It's not many people I can say this about, but I genuinely can't think of anybody that doesn't like him.
  • Can't find a link but worth digging out the story of the Robben Island Football League

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_KuTN9RM4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Stig said:

It's not many people I can say this about, but I genuinely can't think of anybody that doesn't like him.

Agreed, not anybody sane anyway.

I would imagine if you'd asked every person in the world who they'd like to meet then the most frequent response would be Mandela.
  • They might say that they would like to meet him, but I wonder if the same people would say the same when Gerry Adams dies?
  • @Gumbo

We don't won't this one (or any other sensitive RIP thread) to turn into an argument / strong-opinioned poi.t scoring thread (which undoubtedly would happen).

We've hundreds of other threads to so that on, and there are a million and one other outlets to have the debate you want to have on. Please respect that.

Equally others, please don't turn this into a debating thread, I ask you nicely. Thank you
  • edited December 2013
  • edited December 2013
    Oh dear. Let's just end this line of thought right here.
  • What none of the obituaries have mentioned is that he believed in the noble ideals of communism until the day he died.

That isn' t to say that he remained an unreconstrcted Marxist-Leninist and could not see where the Soviet Union went wrong. But there was something noble in the way he never renounced the high-minded ideals that inspired his membership of the South African Communist Party.

Met him once and shook his hand back stage at the 46664 AIDS charity concert in Cape Town in 2003. Beyonce got a three minute ovation. Bono got a five minute ovation. And Mandela got a 10 minute ovation.

When he finally quitened thecrowd after those 10 mins, he said one word - "comrades". Who else in the 21st cenrtury could start a speech with the word "comrades"?

But there was then another four minute ovation before he got to say the second word of his speech. I have a silly CL forum name that I have done nothing to deserve. This man was the ultimate incorruptible...

• An icon and legend. I went to see him in Trafalgar Square on his first visit to London post-release. I also remember Thatcher for her involvement in propping up the (dying) apartheid regime. She wouldn't side with the likes of Mandela, preferring to hob-nob with Mr Pinochet. I enjoyed a pint of Scottish stout when Thatcher died.
    I raise a glass of South African red wine to Nelson Mandela, icon and legend.