Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunday People reports Sordell wants to quit

Comments

• Options
    Sheff utd will come good.
  • Options
    he changed the game when he came on at reading, but as mentioned he hasnt hardly played many minutes since then. His shooting looks decent with both feet before games, and he was a good link up player in the reading game, constantly holding it up spinning and spreading the play wide. He also had an instinctive goal disallowed and a header off the line, which i believe is a lot closer than many of our strikers come in their multiple more minutes on the pitch.
  • Options

cafctom said:

What exactly are these 'attributes' then?

I can't think of a single defining one that he has shown with us.

Pace? No.
    Finishing? No.
    Effort? No
    Strength? No

At least Haynes and Fuller had obvious individual traits that you could be implemented into the gameplay (Haynes' pace, Fuller's trickery).

I don't really know what Sordell is about, and I don't think SCP does either.

Actually against Reading he exhibited all the above but inexplicably has hardly set foot on pitch since. Church is pony, end of. I used to display similar workrate on pitch but would never describe myself as a footballer.
    But you made the Wales squad though?
    Am quarter Welsh so still waiting the call. No linos over the park so I got my fair share of goals. Nobody called me Spongefoot. Alas at 59 I fear my chance (and hammies) has gone.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Pace? No.
    Finishing? No.
    Effort? No
    Strength? No

At least Haynes and Fuller had obvious individual traits that you could be implemented into the gameplay (Haynes' pace, Fuller's trickery).

Actually against Reading he exhibited all the above but inexplicably has hardly set foot on pitch since. Church is pony, end of. I used to display similar workrate on pitch but would never describe myself as a footballer.
    If Church is 'pony' as you so eloquently put it then I can only imagine how extreme your views were of some of the players we had between 2008-2010.

I don't know how much we are paying Church a week, but I know he is giving 100% to earn his wages week in and week out for us. Infact, he is one of the hardest working players I have seen in a Charlton shirt in the last 10 years.

If you expect more than that from a free transfer then maybe Charlton isn't the right club for you.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Pace? No.
    Finishing? No.
    Effort? No
    Strength? No

Church strikes me a someone who could score a lot of goals, once he gets a couple in a row I think he'll fire regularly. Needs that consistency, Blackburn away is perfect evidence of that
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Sordell will come good

No he won't, not while he is only given a few minutes on the pitch, is shown his lack of worth by having Piggott, Pritchard and Church ahead of him.

He's not motivated and it does not appear that the management have any interest in motivating him - get rid asap.
  • Options

He needs proper man management, which I've always thought is one of Powell's biggest strengths. He needs a run of games and he'll score and create goals. I just don't think he'll get that here.

If that's all it is ( a run of games) then why are Bolton and Charlton not giving him that run?
  • Options
    Marvin Sordell should be nicknamed 'The enigma code'
  • Options
    last season when he played for Bolton at the Valley he scared the living bejaysus out of me, he was good. When he then signed on loan I was very optimistic. It hasn't really worked out as I thought it would've.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Pace? No.
    Finishing? No.
    Effort? No
    Strength? No

If Church is 'pony' as you so eloquently put it then I can only imagine how extreme your views were of some of the players we had between 2008-2010.

I don't know how much we are paying Church a week, but I know he is giving 100% to earn his wages week in and week out for us. Infact, he is one of the hardest working players I have seen in a Charlton shirt in the last 10 years.

If you expect more than that from a free transfer then maybe Charlton isn't the right club for you.
    Got to be honest, I think Church is pony too.

Works hard, tries hard, gives his all so I hope he comes good but I don't see it. League 1 player in my opinion.

The amount of money he earns is in line with his ability so he is not a financial disaster for the club like previous players were, but he is still pony!

Does my opinion on one player mean that Charlton is not the right club for me either?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

Pace? No.
    Finishing? No.
    Effort? No
    Strength? No

But you made the Wales squad though?
    Am quarter Welsh so still waiting the call. No linos over the park so I got my fair share of goals. Nobody called me Spongefoot. Alas at 59 I fear my chance (and hammies) has gone.
    Believe in yourself
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Not sorry about this at all. One good season at Watford didn't convince me. And half a season of nitto at Charlton hasn't altered that opinion. Yes, he hasn't had as many chances as he might have. However, his performances when he's played haven't exactly made his exclusion questionable in my opinion. If he really wants to go, then I'm absolutely confident his wage money can be better spent elsewhere.

Bolton were obviously quite content with letting him go - and they're hardly shooting the lights out themselves.
  • Options
    Why should Powell put him in the team, Church and Kermit have been banging them in for fun all season. No way should they be dropped ever.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Another footballer bragging about all the stuff he spunks his money on eh? What a disgrace

:)
  • Options
    Neatly packed I like it
  • Options
    I think he wanted out after the Bournemouth game in August
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Another footballer bragging about all the stuff he spunks his money on eh? What a disgrace

:)
    Look at the height those rear headrests are set at! He must carry some very tall people about who would obviously pass the CL height test. Wonder if any of them are footballers?
  • Options
    A player who we need to persevere with.
    Now is the wrong time to give him a run in the team, we need heart from the likes of Kermo, or Church.

Makes you think of how good BWP's attitude was whilst he was with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well i'm sticking to my guns in thinking (hoping) that it's not about Sordell vs Church, but about whether we use whatever cash Sordell is costing us us to get another striker. For sure, if Sordell goes i would be extremely worried if we concluded that we're simply relying on Church (+ Yann). We need another striker, so the question is can we get Sordell to deliver, or do we try and get someone else in?
  • Options

He earns a few bob at boot sales.

• Options
    Don't think he has had a fair crap of the whip and know he has looked poor at times but has also shown glimpses of what he can do.Would certainly rather have him in front of Piggott but the fact Piggy has had more play time certainly lets you know what Powell thinks.
  • Options
    Well, if he trains like he plays then doesn't surprise me at all that we've not seen him given a run. Given the problems we've had up front this season, the fact that Powell still hasn't fancied him speaks volumes for me.

There's the odd flash of him having something about him but they're few and far between.
  • Options

Don't think he has had a fair crap of the whip

I know what you mean but I prefer what you said. :-)
  • Options
    Whatever his alleged ability, to me on his home performances he has not performed to expectations. Agreed he has a limited run, but the question that should be asked is why Powell has not used him more?. You would think he would be desperate to want to play, if nothing else than to get away from Charlton and Bolton if he is so upset at his current situation. Sorry mate, move along.....
  • Options
    I don't think he's played enough for me to make an informed decision but if Powell isn't going to play him he might as well leave.

Having said that just how good a player do we expect to be able to sign to sit on the bench for us in a relegation battle?

No player wants to be a reserve, especially at his age, but if his choices are to stay here and get the odd game off the bench or move back to Bolton and leave his beautiful girlfriend in London on her own then he might just put up with it!

His record at Watford (as a teenager) does suggest that he has the potential, and there are a number of good reasons as to why it didn't work out at Bolton (where he still managed 8 goals in 26 appearances last season). If he isn't going to make with us then fair enough, but I have seen too many players struggle with us when young and then go on to enjoy success that I'm not willing to write him off.

He does, obviously, have a weird fettish for Aquafresh though!
  • Options
    @cafctom. I also think that Church is pony too. As they say if Church is the answer it must be a bloody stupid question. If Church remains one of our 2 main strikers beyond the January window then I'll be amazed if we stay up. It also highlights just how short of cash we are.

Happy to trust Powell's judgement on Sordell but no point in keeping him if he's just going to sit on the bench.
  • Options
    I predict he'll end up dropping down a division or two, then he'll come to his "mental" crossroad which will determine whether he sorts his head out and becomes the player he could be, or crawl up his own arse and carry on playing shit and feeling sorry for himself....................
  • Options
    Bottom line is that if we don't get someone in who is going to play and score goals then were doomed. Neither Yann or Church are prolific and we need to find the net more than we currently do. IMHO it's that or relegation.