Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunday People reports Sordell wants to quit

Comments

• Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

What exactly are these 'attributes' then?

I can't think of a single defining one that he has shown with us.

Pace? No.
    Finishing? No.
    Effort? No
    Strength? No

At least Haynes and Fuller had obvious individual traits that you could be implemented into the gameplay (Haynes' pace, Fuller's trickery).

I don't really know what Sordell is about, and I don't think SCP does either.

Actually against Reading he exhibited all the above but inexplicably has hardly set foot on pitch since. Church is pony, end of. I used to display similar workrate on pitch but would never describe myself as a footballer.
    If Church is 'pony' as you so eloquently put it then I can only imagine how extreme your views were of some of the players we had between 2008-2010.

I don't know how much we are paying Church a week, but I know he is giving 100% to earn his wages week in and week out for us. Infact, he is one of the hardest working players I have seen in a Charlton shirt in the last 10 years.

If you expect more than that from a free transfer then maybe Charlton isn't the right club for you.
    Got to be honest, I think Church is pony too.

Works hard, tries hard, gives his all so I hope he comes good but I don't see it. League 1 player in my opinion.

The amount of money he earns is in line with his ability so he is not a financial disaster for the club like previous players were, but he is still pony!

Does my opinion on one player mean that Charlton is not the right club for me either?
    Church could not finish a three course meal
  • Options

Bottom line is that if we don't get someone in who is going to play and score goals then were doomed. Neither Yann or Church are prolific and we need to find the net more than we currently do. IMHO it's that or relegation.

Do you not think the teams below us (you know, the ones that actually are in the relegation zone) are saying exactly the same?
  • Options
    He doesn't want to be here, Powell doesn't want him here. Its not hard to work out where this is going.

I am firmly in the Church is junk corner, but the simple fact is we are shopping in Poundstretcher and I don't believe, take over aside, we will sign anyone better.
  • Options
    I'm very concerned, who is going to wander about aimlessly for the last six minutes ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'll haveockquote class="Quote" rel="ElfsborgAddick">

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

What exactly are these 'attributes' then?

I can't think of a single defining one that he has shown with us.

Pace? No.
    Finishing? No.
    Effort? No
    Strength? No

At least Haynes and Fuller had obvious individual traits that you could be implemented into the gameplay (Haynes' pace, Fuller's trickery).

I don't really know what Sordell is about, and I don't think SCP does either.

Actually against Reading he exhibited all the above but inexplicably has hardly set foot on pitch since. Church is pony, end of. I used to display similar workrate on pitch but would never describe myself as a footballer.
    If Church is 'pony' as you so eloquently put it then I can only imagine how extreme your views were of some of the players we had between 2008-2010.

I don't know how much we are paying Church a week, but I know he is giving 100% to earn his wages week in and week out for us. Infact, he is one of the hardest working players I have seen in a Charlton shirt in the last 10 years.

If you expect more than that from a free transfer then maybe Charlton isn't the right club for you.
    Got to be honest, I think Church is pony too.

Works hard, tries hard, gives his all so I hope he comes good but I don't see it. League 1 player in my opinion.

The amount of money he earns is in line with his ability so he is not a financial disaster for the club like previous players were, but he is still pony!

Does my opinion on one player mean that Charlton is not the right club for me either?
    Church could not finish a three course meal

I'll have it if he's not going to.
  • Options
    It could be worse, David Mooney could still be here.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Bottom line is that if we don't get someone in who is going to play and score goals then were doomed. Neither Yann or Church are prolific and we need to find the net more than we currently do. IMHO it's that or relegation.

Do you not think the teams below us (you know, the ones that actually are in the relegation zone) are saying exactly the same?
    Well yes I do think that but it's only Yeovil who are equally bad at finding the net as us. 17 goals from 21 games is by any measure absolutely shite and IS relegation threatening.

• Options

Oh the horror!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    1StevieG said:

Oh the horror!
    or even Russ Pawel Abbott .. but whoever has been awful in the past, .. the list is long .. Sordell for a man of his reputation and supposed class has been very sub-standard and really a waste of that good and scarce CAFC resource .. i.e. money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's puzzling that CP chose not to start with 'super Marvin' after his Reading cameo.
    Church would be an excellent sub when you are 1-0 up with ten minutes to go and you want someone to chase down the opposition.
    If you are 1 - 0 down with ten minutes to go I would rather have Sordell playing than Church as he is more likely to score.
    I'd rather have Fuller than both
  • Options

Can't believe the stick Church is getting. We create so few chances that when one does eventually come his way every three games or so he's so shocked he can't remember what he's supposed to do. If we were creating loads of chances every game and he was missing them all I'd agree but jeez give the guy a break.

Agreed. Sure, Church has missed a couple of sitters, but he does have talent: look at the way he beat two defenders along the goal-line before squaring for Jackson to score against Leeds. As an experienced striker he's a much better bet than two of Powell's less than impressive selections up front: Pritchard and Harriott.

• Options

church will reach 10 goals this season and be our highest scorer if he is pony god help the rest,

this is not a church is quality post but you guys are relentless in abuse to players we have

He's not pony. However if our top goal scoring striker hits only ten goals all season then as I have said before we will not score enough goals to avoid a relegation battle.

• Options
    @nla '....relentless in abuse...'? Don't agree. Critical comments yes, but mostly acknowledging that we got him on a free so you can't expect too much.

We're 4th from bottom with the lowest number of goals scored in all pro divisions. Excluding the first Doncaster match I've been to 6 home games so far on my ST. I've yet to see a Charlton goal and in quite a few games we could have played on for days without scoring.

Church seems like an honest professional and gives 100%. However I don't believe that he's Championship main striker material. If no more strikers come in there's a good chance we'll go down. It's not Church's fault and I don't blame him. In a decent team, he'd be used as a sub. And yes I've seen far worse Charlton strikers in the last few years.
  • Options
    If a side is struggling to score goals it's not always the fault of their strikers.
  • Options
    Sorry didnt realise that what he wrote didnt get posted.. He was taking them to the homeless
  • Options

If a side is struggling to score goals it's not always the fault of their strikers.

Agree we create very little, but for a striker Church seems to lack the ability to kick the ball properly. The amount of scuffed or powder puff shots he has had this season is ridiculous.
  • Options
    not saying the abuse at church is relentless, more as fans there are some relentless in the abuse they give to our players and not seeing positives in any players regardless of what the achieve,

church may not be a wonder a brilliant striker but that's why he was a free signing to a team that was going to struggle this season in the 2nd division

marvin sordell is a wonderful human being for all he is doing regards the giving that he sees fit for xmas etc

but he has issues in his swede that is making him not come across on the training ground or pitch to match his talents

yet some will say he is pony as well,

Church cant lack the ability to kick a ball or he wouldn't be an international footballer , so it has to be some other reason that his technique is not always there

but he will still be our top scorer in double figures by end of season

• Options
    pony, couldn't finish a 3 course dinner....http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/10/20/simon-church-goal-vs-blackburn-rovers/ I wonder where they were when this happened? Fickle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DeeBee said:

pony, couldn't finish a 3 course dinner....http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/10/20/simon-church-goal-vs-blackburn-rovers/ I wonder where they were when this happened? Fickle

I was in the away end.....but his stats are not great to be fair
    2007–2013 Reading 104 (22)
    2007–2008 → Crewe Alexandra (loan) 12 (1)
    2008 → Yeovil Town (loan) 6 (0)
    2008 → Wycombe Wanderers (loan) 9 (0)
    2009 → Leyton Orient (loan) 13 (4)
    2012 → Huddersfield Town (loan) 7 (1)
    2013– Charlton Athletic 20 (3)
    **The goals scored are in brackets**
  • Options
    The fact that Church was on a free from Reading and Bolton were prepared to loan us Sordell was a clear sign that we weren't likely to be picking up 20 goal a year superstars.

Can't fault Church's effort, and I'm with those who think Sordell might do more with a run in the team, but given our financial 'challenges' we're going to be near the bottom of a long list of clubs able to sign anyone much better.
  • Options
    Sordell seems like a really good bloke, helping the homeless etc.

However, he never wanted to come to Charlton and he's sulked for over 4 months.

He should bugger off back to Bolton & help their homeless, if we can cut a deal, so we don't have to pay his wages.

We need a striker for The Red Army not The Sally Army.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there is a break clause for Sordell?
    Someone should show him Jeffers career history and see if he wants to end up like that. If he' snot up for it he should go as we have no room for passengers.
    Whether there is a takeover or not the forward positions in the squad need sorting quickly. Afraid I don't rate Church and we need someone up there with Kermorgant to see us up the table.
  • Options

He's banging them in (13 in the league)
  • Options
    We had BWP banging in 20+ goals a season at one point and even he would get pelters on here.

Best ignored IMO.
  • Options
    Btw, congrats to Churchy on his scapegoat of the week award.

This time in a thread that wasn't even about him!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Btw, congrats to Churchy on his scapegoat of the week award.

This time in a thread that wasn't even about him!

Pritchard and Hamer weren't playing!

• Options
    cafctom said:

We had BWP banging in 20+ goals a season at one point and even he would get pelters on here.

Best ignored IMO.

8 goals first season.

22 goals second season.

1 goal (in 21 games) last season.

Decent league one player. He divided opinion in his final season but got no stick prior to that.

• Options

He's banging them in (13 in the league)
    In a league where Leon Clarke & Kevin Lisbie are also scoring.

ffs I really dont want to go back there.