Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

30 mins till ko

30 mins till ko but how long till the to?
    Lick your finger and stick it in the air :-)
    I make that at least another week then.
  • Options
    sorry about the 30 min till ko line....i thought I was on the match thread...DOH.....anyway removed it now
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Surely the reason the current board got us at the price they did was due in part to all those deferred loans to directors , payable on us being in the Prem or them selling up ...so the current owners know this , it's not something new , a deals a deal , hopefully there's no attempts to move the goalposts
  • Options
    Look, the answer to this takeover is staring us all in the face and I am surprised no-one else has seen it.

The jackpot in Friday's Euromillions draw is £93 million. Let's all buy a shed load of tickets and then the winner buys the club. Problem sorted.

I am confident that come Friday, my winning ticket will put me in position to buy the club. You have my assurance I will not move us away from the Valley.

• Options
    Goalposts are always moved in business.
  • Options
    For me, the fact that Airman Brown remains chipper says to me something good is happening.

At the end of the day the fella over on ITTV said it may not be our mate Roland who concludes the takeover. He insinuated that it was still going ahead but not necessarily with him.

I'm happy with what I've heard as I firmly believe we will be taken over within the next week, no doubt.

By the way I'm very much not in the know.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

It's my understanding that the former directors are below the banks but above the current owners in a single creditor agreement that determines the hierarchy of debt.

So they would get something if the club went bust as the residual assets are worth more than the bank debt. You might well ask how Slater and co ever signed up to that, but there you go!

It's a fair point that the HSBC debt is an overdraft not strictly a loan, although the situation is confused by references to bank loans (plural) in the documents I've seen.

Finally, I don't think there will be any question of Murray being the problem. Hope that helps.

As an aside, it may be that the reference to bank loans (plural) reflects the fact that the RBS Mortgage is tranched with different repayment dates and interest payments?
    Quite possibly.

It's very odd that the former directors have a potential financial interest in the club becoming insolvent as it stands, although I am quite clear that they would take a broader view.

The other thing is that even if all the external creditors agree to roll over their loans on the same basis, a new owner is dumped at the bottom of the hierarchy. Alternatively, it means the ex directors have to forfeit their current priority, which they may not accept.
    I think that your and Mundell Flemmings observations have helped clarify the poker game which is now being played out.The former directors already had to write off their equity to enable Baton to be formed. I agree that they might be taking a broader view but perhaps they have decided not to be rolled over?

Something has to give else no deal and the current owners have to fund the losses. What is clear to me is that the value of the club will not increase without significant improvement in performance on and off the pitch. What is not clear is how much investment is needed to raise the value of the club.

The simple fact is that the current owners had a clear plan to get back to the Premier League where everyone is a winner - and I mean everyone: fans, bank, players, manager, ex-directors and current ones. For whatever reason they have not been able to deliver years 2 and 3 of that plan and the club's league position is a reflection of that. It has been an incredibly expensive six months for the owners and it has all been avoidable if Fuller had been re-signed or replaced adequately - no-one else, just maintain a decent attacking threat.

The club is not worth the £40M of debts it has accumulated and therefore some or perhaps all parties have to take a haircut. Having said all this, the £8-9M of deferred creditors are a fraction of the TV deal winnings on offer in the Premier League and so my gut instinct tells me that this is not the problem in getting the ball over the line.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    There are different angles to view this, but if I had money owed through the loans, I wouldn't necessarily be keen to lose it so that TJ can get a better price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What bolderhumphreyreid says it what I believe
  • Options
    If the deal was off, it would have been reported by now - I am pretty sure of that.
  • Options
    Not sure about that as information to fans is not a priority in any way m8
  • Options
    Agree with bhr and nla...

Those in the know, know

The rest of us BELIEVE
  • Options
    It would be a good thing
  • Options
    biLlych said:

It would be a good thing

I'm sorry but what of user name is that?
  • Options
    Over the last 3 weeks this thread has had high's low's and loads of speculation. Saying that I feel a takeover will happen in time for CP to be able to dip into the transfer market he as probably been asked for a list of potential purchases or loans. A takeover is needed by someone (and I don't care who) has the future of the club at their heart, whether it at the Valley or away but stability is the key to it all a few quid to spend now to stay in the league, invest in the summer for a playoff spot if that not successful further investment to go up as champions. Once in the Prem just enough investment to stay up for the 1st year then invest bit by bit and in the end I would be happy with mid table stability.
  • Options
    Wouldn't we all!
  • Options
    magic1999 said:

Over the last 3 weeks this thread has had high's low's and loads of speculation. Saying that I feel a takeover will happen in time for CP to be able to dip into the transfer market he as probably been asked for a list of potential purchases or loans. A takeover is needed by someone (and I don't care who) has the future of the club at their heart, whether it at the Valley or away but stability is the key to it all a few quid to spend now to stay in the league, invest in the summer for a playoff spot if that not successful further investment to go up as champions. Once in the Prem just enough investment to stay up for the 1st year then invest bit by bit and in the end I would be happy with mid table stability.

Ha ha - if only it was that simple!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    magic1999 said:

Wasn't this the kind of extreme levels of delusion that made your fans call for Curbishley's head because he "couldn't take you to the next level?". Jesus wept - do you lot ever learn?

• Options

magic1999 said:

Wasn't this the kind of extreme levels of delusion that made your fans call for Curbishley's head because he "couldn't take you to the next level?". Jesus wept - do you lot ever learn?

So do you reckon Pulis will keep you up then?
  • Options
    As a Charlton fan any level of football will do me !
  • Options
    Really weird, although not entirely surprising if he's a creepy palace fan.

Like's he trawling through posts just waiting to call us 'delusional'.

• Options
    edited January 2014

magic1999 said:

Ha ha - if only it was that simple!!
    It's the '(and I don't care who)' that sticks out. Anyone that is willing to drop something like £50m into our club and find success where many other clubs have failed (there are a lot of clubs with debts in excess of £50m that are not in the Premier League). And, presumably if they invest £50m and fail to establish the club in the Premier League they should be willing to pass the club on for a fraction of they've spent to another mug (and, again, we don't care who) that will try the same process again and drop another £50m.

In truth this is what has been happening for decades. Richard Murray has been involved for many years but he is not the only one that has 'invested' millions of pounds. I know they are unpopular but MS, TJ and Kevin Cash have just been the latest 'fools' to believe that they could achieve what dozens before them failed to do (I'm also counting all those that have lost money at other clubs).

For me, personally, I am happy to have a new owner that is able to save the club from administration, but more specifically from liquidation, a move away from the Valley to ground share at Selhurst, Millwall or West Ham and, if at all possible - without sounding too greedy, keep us above the third division for most of the next forty years.
  • Options
    The old "Charlton fans wanted Curbs out" one.

Saying we thought at the time he'd got us as far as he could isn't saying we wanted him out .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

So do you reckon Pulis will keep you up then?
    I have no idea whether Pulis will keep us up. I reckon he's got a good chance though.
    For the record, I do remember many Charlton fans calling for Curbishley's head 8-9 years ago, and many of you getting ahead of your selves.
    And I know, Palace's natural place in the scheme of things is about 7th in the Championship. Despite your elongated stay in the top flight last decade, I suspect many of you realise that Charlton's natural place is pretty much the same.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    BIG_ROB said:

I just followed a Belgium plated Renault Laguna estate for about 15 minutes up the autoroute, northbound. Interesting

IS that the geeza?
  • Options
    Curbs did what he did and it was one of the most successful times for Charlton, Personally it was the investment after he left that started us sliding down the tables, TJ MS & Cash invested when it was needed now further investment and passion is required and the sooner a takeover is formally anounced the better