Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton join foreign legion as Belgian millionaire agrees takeover deal (maybe?)

Comments

• Options
    So does anyone know anything about the current state of the takeover?
  • Options

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Over the last 3 weeks this thread has had high's low's and loads of speculation. Saying that I feel a takeover will happen in time for CP to be able to dip into the transfer market he as probably been asked for a list of potential purchases or loans. A takeover is needed by someone (and I don't care who) has the future of the club at their heart, whether it at the Valley or away but stability is the key to it all a few quid to spend now to stay in the league, invest in the summer for a playoff spot if that not successful further investment to go up as champions. Once in the Prem just enough investment to stay up for the 1st year then invest bit by bit and in the end I would be happy with mid table stability.

Wasn't this the kind of extreme levels of delusion that made your fans call for Curbishley's head because he "couldn't take you to the next level?". Jesus wept - do you lot ever learn?

So do you reckon Pulis will keep you up then?
    I have no idea whether Pulis will keep us up. I reckon he's got a good chance though.
    For the record, I do remember many Charlton fans calling for Curbishley's head 8-9 years ago, and many of you getting ahead of your selves.
    And I know, Palace's natural place in the scheme of things is about 7th in the Championship. Despite your elongated stay in the top flight last decade, I suspect many of you realise that Charlton's natural place is pretty much the same.

Not the case at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

magic1999 said:

Over the last 3 weeks this thread has had high's low's and loads of speculation. Saying that I feel a takeover will happen in time for CP to be able to dip into the transfer market he as probably been asked for a list of potential purchases or loans. A takeover is needed by someone (and I don't care who) has the future of the club at their heart, whether it at the Valley or away but stability is the key to it all a few quid to spend now to stay in the league, invest in the summer for a playoff spot if that not successful further investment to go up as champions. Once in the Prem just enough investment to stay up for the 1st year then invest bit by bit and in the end I would be happy with mid table stability.

Ha ha - if only it was that simple!!
    It's the '(and I don't care who)' that sticks out. Anyone that is willing to drop something like £50m into our club and find success where many other clubs have failed (there are a lot of clubs with debts in excess of £50m that are not in the Premier League). And, presumably if they invest £50m and fail to establish the club in the Premier League they should be willing to pass the club on for a fraction of they've spent to another mug (and, again, we don't care who) that will try the same process again and drop another £50m.

In truth this is what has been happening for decades. Richard Murray has been involved for many years but he is not the only one that has 'invested' millions of pounds. I know they are unpopular but MS, TJ and Kevin Cash have just been the latest 'fools' to believe that they could achieve what dozens before them failed to do (I'm also counting all those that have lost money at other clubs).

For me, personally, I am happy to have a new owner that is able to save the club from administration, but more specifically from liquidation, a move away from the Valley to ground share at Selhurst, Millwall or West Ham and, if at all possible - without sounding too greedy, keep us above the third division for most of the next forty years.
    The big difference us that the previous directors converted millions of pounds of loans into equity and thereby wrote it off, in effect. Then they also wrote off further loans to enable the club to continue in 2010.

The current owners have loaned the club money with the intention of making a profit on the bet, a gamble to which the success of the team and therefore the club was essential but not the primary objective. They have been seeking to get those loans out, if possible at a profit, for some time. Gamblers often lose. That's what gambling is.

They are entitled to do that and without some form of investment in 2010/11 the club would have gone into administration and may we worse off than it is today, but I think to equate the current majority owners with those that went before is a bit of a slur on the latter. Their motives and their actions differentiate them.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Wasn't this the kind of extreme levels of delusion that made your fans call for Curbishley's head because he "couldn't take you to the next level?". Jesus wept - do you lot ever learn?

I have no idea whether Pulis will keep us up. I reckon he's got a good chance though.
    For the record, I do remember many Charlton fans calling for Curbishley's head 8-9 years ago, and many of you getting ahead of your selves.
    And I know, Palace's natural place in the scheme of things is about 7th in the Championship. Despite your elongated stay in the top flight last decade, I suspect many of you realise that Charlton's natural place is pretty much the same.

Not the case at all.
    Must sit somewhere different at games to me, so many people coming out with the "he's taken us as far as he can, time for him to leave". Hardly screaming for his head but same sort of thing. I used to point out that he'd taken us as far as WE could go...

• Options
    Off topic I know, but just for the record, Palace's average League position since they joined is currently 20th in the Championship. Millwall's is top of League One and Charlton's is 11th in the Championship. The highest placed team is Liverpool, whose average League position is 8th in the Prem.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

I only remember a couple on net addicts who got ridiculed. More people on here want Powell out and a recent survey had then at 5% of the posters. Then again you probably spend more time on Charlton forums than I do...
  • Options
    edited January 2014

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Not the case at all.
    Must sit somewhere different at games to me, so many people coming out with the "he's taken us as far as he can, time for him to leave". Hardly screaming for his head but same sort of thing. I used to point out that he'd taken us as far as WE could go...

I also think it was time for him to leave. Not because someone else was going to take us higher, but because he had run out of fresh ideas and needed a fresh challenge, which he himself recognised. It was the right time for a change; it's just that the change that happened was wrong!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

magic1999 said:

Ha ha - if only it was that simple!!
    It's the '(and I don't care who)' that sticks out. Anyone that is willing to drop something like £50m into our club and find success where many other clubs have failed (there are a lot of clubs with debts in excess of £50m that are not in the Premier League). And, presumably if they invest £50m and fail to establish the club in the Premier League they should be willing to pass the club on for a fraction of they've spent to another mug (and, again, we don't care who) that will try the same process again and drop another £50m.

In truth this is what has been happening for decades. Richard Murray has been involved for many years but he is not the only one that has 'invested' millions of pounds. I know they are unpopular but MS, TJ and Kevin Cash have just been the latest 'fools' to believe that they could achieve what dozens before them failed to do (I'm also counting all those that have lost money at other clubs).

For me, personally, I am happy to have a new owner that is able to save the club from administration, but more specifically from liquidation, a move away from the Valley to ground share at Selhurst, Millwall or West Ham and, if at all possible - without sounding too greedy, keep us above the third division for most of the next forty years.
    The big difference us that the previous directors converted millions of pounds of loans into equity and thereby wrote it off, in effect. Then they also wrote off further loans to enable the club to continue in 2010.

The current owners have loaned the club money with the intention of making a profit on the bet, a gamble to which the success of the team and therefore the club was essential but not the primary objective. They have been seeking to get those loans out, if possible at a profit, for some time. Gamblers often lose. That's what gambling is.

They are entitled to do that and without some form of investment in 2010/11 the club would have gone into administration and may we worse off than it is today, but I think to equate the current majority owners with those that went before is a bit of a slur on the latter. Their motives and their actions differentiate them.
    Sorry! I've just re-read what I posted and it does read the way you interpreted it. I wasn't comparing TJ/MS/KC with the previous board. I was comparing them to the various owners (many from overseas) that have bought into English football believing that they can be successful where others have failed. As much as I don't like them I would not compare Mark Godlberg or Simon Jordan with our current board either. They were arrogant and, clearly, not bright enough to realise that running a football club is, in any way, different from the one and only industry that they made any money in. However, they were fans of the clubs they bought and went into it, I believe, for the best interests of their club. Rather like Steve Parish who, from what I've seen, could be a clone of Simon Jordan.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Not the case at all.

I also think it was time for him to leave. Not because someone else was going to take us higher, but because he had run out of fresh ideas and needed a fresh challenge, which he himself recognised. It was the right time for a change; it's just that the change that happened was wrong!
    I think the change came a year too early.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

magic1999 said:

What evidence do you have that fans were calling for Curbishleys head?
    I suspect none at all. It is what they call an 'urban myth'.

• Options
    What you don't want is a chairman/owner (like Tan, Jordan etc) who love the limelight, you just want them to get on with their job in a quiet controlled way, bit like good refs.
  • Options
    yep

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Not the case at all.

i know this is off thread but the only mistake RM and the board made at the time was not really having a post curbishley succession plan

• Options
    back on track please lords and ladies, ta
  • Options
    Loco said:

BIG_ROB said:

I just followed a Belgium plated Renault Laguna estate for about 15 minutes up the autoroute, northbound. Interesting

IS that the geeza?
    Or this one?

• Options

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Not the case at all.
    What do you mean, 'not the case at all'? If he says he remembers it, he remembers it. As do I.
  • Options
    Stig said:

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Not the case at all.
    What do you mean, 'not the case at all'? If he says he remembers it, he remembers it. As do I.
    Well done?
  • Options

magic1999 said:

Weird.

It is one fan's view out of 20 pages of posts. It is maybe a little optimistic but given the user name perhaps it is a younger fan.

Not sure why you felt the need to suggest all Charlton fans feel the same or think it will be as easy as that especially given the replies.
    I'm a younger fan (of only 35 summers), but nobody ever cuts me any slack and you never stick up for me HoB! Ffs

; )
  • Options
    Must be as Im a noob in here !! LOL HAHAHAH
  • Options
    magic1999 said:

Must be as Im a noob in here !! LOL HAHAHAH

Just follow my lead Magic pal! I'll cross em over, you head em in....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    BIG_ROB said:

magic1999 said:

Weird.

It is one fan's view out of 20 pages of posts. It is maybe a little optimistic but given the user name perhaps it is a younger fan.

Not sure why you felt the need to suggest all Charlton fans feel the same or think it will be as easy as that especially given the replies.
    I'm a younger fan (of only 35 summers), but nobody ever cuts me any slack and you never stick up for me HoB! Ffs

; )
    That's different and no way are you 35. Check the likes and LOLS you get from me.

We are equals, both Charlton supporters, you live in France and give as good as you get : - )

But magic was being picked on by a Palace fan. Surely you see the difference. ; - )
  • Options

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Not the case at all.

Airman spot on IMO
  • Options

RedChaser said:

magic1999 said:

Not the case at all.

Airman spot on IMO
    Seconded. Curbs wanted to go, he had had enough and was exhausted.

With hindsight it is easy to say that he "should have stayed" but you have to remember that he was in his last year of his contract and given that the squad needing rejuvenating then it tough to do that if the manager is leaving the club.

Sure, we SHOULD have had a succession plan but we didn't - but that does not mean that Curbs should have stayed when his race was run.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

magic1999 said:

Weird.

; )
    That's different and no way are you 35. Check the likes and LOLS you get from me.

We are equals, both Charlton supporters, you live in France and give as good as you get : - )

But magic was being picked on by a Palace fan. Surely you see the difference. ; - )
    it's hard, i know, but sometimes you have to let them fight their own battles.

and f@ck me it's not like he's going to lose against a palace fan!
  • Options
    From ITTV - anyone in a position to verify or otherwise?:

Seems to be a done deal with the Belgian
    Has been escorted round the offices today. Expect an announcement shortly

Read more: http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/14261/takeover-latest-belgian-american-ukranian?page=30#ixzz2pF1emZLY
  • Options
    Curbs wanted to leave - he was clearly jaded with the fight and was willing to honour his contract begrudgingly - not with enthusiasm - one more year. Perfectly understandable why Murray and he agreed to finish it early. Fans didn't want him out - yes you now can find fans who want Powell out - but they are the minority and I am sick to death of lazy jounos who know nothing about what actually happened pushing this rubbish.
  • Options

Curbs wanted to leave - he was clearly jaded with the fight and was willing to honour his contract begrudgingly - not with enthusiasm - one more year. Perfectly understandable why Murray and he agreed to finish it early. Fans didn't want him out - yes you now can find fans who want Powell out - but they are the minority and I am sick to death of lazy jounos who know nothing about what actually happened pushing this rubbish.

Totally agree with all this. When you stay up for all those years you start to think you can at least match it easily with a new guy. People (Murray included) didn't realise what a miracle worker Curbs was. In hindsight, which of course was easy to do, Murray would admit no doubt that Curbs should have been allowed to see out his contract. Especially seeing as the TV money was increasing that year. It possibly would have allowed him more time to find a better candidate too, seeing as Dowie and Parky were two of those heading up his hitlist.
  • Options
    Don't forget Billy Davis had and interview ..... and asked if he could step out for a bit and did not come back ! (well thats what I was informed at the time)
  • Options
    But as this is a thread of potential takeover the statement from ITTV seems to have gone by without much coment I take it they are not much of a source :O)