Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***The Takeover thread mk. 3.0 (IT"S NOT DONE - BUT YOU HAVE BEEN!!!)***

Comments

• Options
    Echoing what Muttley said, RD is a businessman who thinks he knows how to buy undervalued businesses and make a turn by adding value. He can increase asset value to sell on the club, he can use the asset to generate revenue (selling players) or through making the club financially stable with a positive cash flow. Given his track record we might assume he is unlikely to re-invest surplus revenue in the club, rather than trouser it or use it on another club, unless he thinks CAFC is the best place for it.

Perhaps he sees the new financial rules as a challenge that he can take on and make a difference while other clubs will struggle to adapt. Football clubs will need to be run as football businesses not as an owner's part time interest or with only a property development play in mind.

At least we should know where we stand with him and I don't sense he will be hiding anywhere, he will have a clear plan and a logic (his logic). I think our opinions of him will rest entirely on how closely his business interests align with the fans' interests, because I think we can assume his business objectives will take precedence. I would rather know that we were being screwed than have an owner try and hide it or pretend he cared about the fans. At least you would know how too react.

That may be why SL fans have been so active, they know what is happening, it is all transparent, and fans know where to focus their anger. In other circumstances with only rumour and suspicion to go on it might not have happened.

If we accept there is no such thing as santa claus and no such thing as a benevolent owner with bottomless buckets of money he lets the fans spend, I would rather have an owner who made decisions, justified them on business grounds and stood up to be counted, than one who hides in the shadows leaving everyone wondering who is making decisions and why.

I will be amazed if he sacks CP and will judge him firstly on his first big decision which must be to keep CP. If he doesn't then I will seriously worry, it will be an early end of the honeymoon and the SL fans fears for us will have all been well founded.
  • Options
    Amongst CPs many qualities are those of a good politician. He isn't going to be negative about the previous regime a) because there was a lot to be positive about in the first half of their tenure, b) RD might well draw the conclusion that CP would do the same to him at some stage, and c) these things have a way of coming back to bite you.

More interesting to me is that he went beyond what was called for in his comments about RD. CP is understated but there seemed to be a note of excitement in his voice. And why not? It sounds as if there is a vision for the club (hooray, at last!) which goes beyond a simple investment vehicle. Visions have a nice habit of leading to strategies, which in turn lead to operational plans, which in turn lead to change programmes, which lead to positive change and hopefully better internal management, communications and on the field results. All good from my point of view.
  • Options

Bubble said:

@Dani_RiveraRuiz: Roland Duchâtelet, empresario belga propietario del Standard de Lieja, Újpest y Charlton Athletic, avanzado en la compra del Alcorcón.

Loosely translated would suggest he is about to buy another football club in Spanish Alcorcon

If this is true, then I'm even more uneasy about our new owner. Funding one club requires deep pockets - financing several requires cash that he doesn't appear to have. Where does that leave us?

Alcorcon are tiny, 7k capacity stadium, average crowd less than 2k. I doubt it requires deep pockets to fund them.
  • Options
    Scoham's going to have his hand full updating the affiliate clubs on football manager! Who's feeder and parent to who
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Echoing what Muttley said, RD is a businessman who thinks he knows how to buy undervalued businesses and make a turn by adding value. He can increase asset value to sell on the club, he can use the asset to generate revenue (selling players) or through making the club financially stable with a positive cash flow. Given his track record we might assume he is unlikely to re-invest surplus revenue in the club, rather than trouser it or use it on another club, unless he thinks CAFC is the best place for it.

Perhaps he sees the new financial rules as a challenge that he can take on and make a difference while other clubs will struggle to adapt. Football clubs will need to be run as football businesses not as an owner's part time interest or with only a property development play in mind.

At least we should know where we stand with him and I don't sense he will be hiding anywhere, he will have a clear plan and a logic (his logic). I think our opinions of him will rest entirely on how closely his business interests align with the fans' interests, because I think we can assume his business objectives will take precedence. I would rather know that we were being screwed than have an owner try and hide it or pretend he cared about the fans. At least you would know how too react.

That may be why SL fans have been so active, they know what is happening, it is all transparent, and fans know where to focus their anger. In other circumstances with only rumour and suspicion to go on it might not have happened.

If we accept there is no such thing as santa claus and no such thing as a benevolent owner with bottomless buckets of money he lets the fans spend, I would rather have an owner who made decisions, justified them on business grounds and stood up to be counted, than one who hides in the shadows leaving everyone wondering who is making decisions and why.

I will be amazed if he sacks CP and will judge him firstly on his first big decision which must be to keep CP. If he doesn't then I will seriously worry, it will be an early end of the honeymoon and the SL fans fears for us will have all been well founded.

It strikes me that the potential for return is significantly higher with Charlton than any other club in his portfolio. Given the rough ride he seems to continue to get from Standard Liege, we might find ourselves as his priority sooner than later. I also like what Powell has to say about early signs - a man of vision at the top is a big positive in my book - and whilst remaining mindful SCP is artful in his handling of politics I'm cautiously optimistic.

As an aside, I do think the question of the Valley ownership is a valid one to raise too, although my gut feel is that anyone would be a fool to invest in buying a football club without making sure you had its main asset. Think Tangoman. I'd be more concerned at attempts to separate the ground from the ownership of the club, although perhaps the ACV will be much more helpful in this regard.

EDIT: I'd like to add to this that I recall Slater talking about last year and this year being belt tighteners as they prepared for FFP, but thereafter things getting easier. No doubt a large lump of spin in there, but I would think for a Championship club we're fairly lean nonetheless. Accumulated debt notwithstanding, perhaps there is a decent foundation upon which RD might build?
  • Options
    There is indeed Rikofold!
    All players U24 in the first team on long term contracts. A few key players who need signing up and the chance to let some others go. And the losses are set to reduce this year so there is head room under FFP to improve the squad - considerably!
    The last board did not replace Fuller adequately nor provide loan cover for injuries to Solly and Kermorgant and I believe it has cost them a serious amount of money as any buyer has factored in the risk of relegation into the deal. Ideally this means more funds available in the summer to improve what I believe is the foundation of a play-off team IF we can sign up the likes of Stephens and of course the management. And locate and sign 3/4 key players who each improve the squad.
  • Options
    Anyone picked up on this?

@PorterSLP: EXCLUSIVE @RichCawley story on involvement of trailblazing former Chelsea captain in the new #cafc - see tomorrow's South London Press
  • Options
    Let the worrying commence
  • Options
    Bubble said:

@PorterSLP: EXCLUSIVE @RichCawley story on involvement of trailblazing former Chelsea captain in the new #cafc - see tomorrow's South London Press

Dennis Wise new CEO

• Options
    Bubble said:

Paul Elliott?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would not like to play Poker with Chris Powell, this bloke can bluff with the best of them.
  • Options
    Elliott was my 1st thought too.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Bubble said:

Paul Elliott?
    More likely I think. I noticed him sitting in the Directors box during the Wendies game the other week.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Amongst CPs many qualities are those of a good politician. He isn't going to be negative about the previous regime a) because there was a lot to be positive about in the first half of their tenure, b) RD might well draw the conclusion that CP would do the same to him at some stage, and c) these things have a way of coming back to bite you.

More interesting to me is that he went beyond what was called for in his comments about RD. CP is understated but there seemed to be a note of excitement in his voice. And why not? It sounds as if there is a vision for the club (hooray, at last!) which goes beyond a simple investment vehicle. Visions have a nice habit of leading to strategies, which in turn lead to operational plans, which in turn lead to change programmes, which lead to positive change and hopefully better internal management, communications and on the field results. All good from my point of view.

CP sounded quietly positive. To be fair to the 'old lot' they also had a vision, but sadly after 18 months that vision rather crumbled.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

I guess Paul Elliott has a bigger role in the club now. He's at most games so must have been expecting something to crop up. Maybe he was involved in getting Roland to look at us?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    It's Dennis Wise, he's used Roland as a front to buy the club on the cheap ensuring TJ made a loss - it's Wise's devious way of getting revenge after TJ shafted him.
  • Options
    Also tweeted by RC...

Chris Powell and Richard Murray in tomorrow's @SthLondonPress talking about #cafc takeover.
  • Options
    Looking into it , there are a few ex chelsea captains that are in and around football still
    Terry venables
    Zola
    Gavin peacock
    Even John bumstead
  • Options
    Positive interview but Chrissy P looks knackered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    sammy391 said:

Looking into it , there are a few ex chelsea captains that are in and around football still
    Terry venables
    Zola
    Gavin peacock
    Even John bumstead

My money's on Paul Elliot still
  • Options
    The trailblazing bit makes me sure it's Elliott. First black Chelsea captain.
  • Options
    Zola would be interesting given his experience at Watford and he lives in Bickley.

But we shall see.
  • Options
    On an outside bet, Rudd Gullit is out of work and according to Wikki was working to promote the Belgian-Dutch 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup bid.
  • Options

On an outside bet, Rudd Gullit is out of work and according to Wikki was working to promote the Belgian-Dutch 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup bid.

Good shout.

Even for a Spanner paper like the SLP it would be odd to describe Elliot as a former Chelsea captain rather than a former Charlton player but then it wouldn't be such a tease : - )
  • Options
    Steve Clarke? was he ever Chelsea captain.
  • Options
    just typed 'trailblazing former chelsea captain' into google just for a laugh to see what i could find, and the first link was from the daily mail and said ruud guillt haha, but it said manager not captain
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Vinnie jones? Trailblazing across Hollywood

Andy Townsend? Trailblazing across the pitch in Townsends Tactics Truck

• Options
    Marcel Desailly?
    Colin Pates?
    Ron Harris?
  • Options
    What's Frank Lebeouf