Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walcott (out injured for 6 months)

Comments

• Options
    Walcott is one of the most overrated players of his generation
  • Options
    A few years ago at the Oval I gave Aussie bowler Shaun Tait a load of crap about Ashley Giles hitting him for six in the 2005 Test there. He eventually bit and turned round and gave me the finger and told me where to go. I thought it was brilliant, I laughed as did everyone around. I guess that shows the difference between football and cricket crowds.
  • Options

Any proof? Thought not, no word from any media outlets about abuse towards Adebayor.

I heard it loud and clear on ITV...what more proof do you need. Confirmed by those in the ground too.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Any proof? Thought not, no word from any media outlets about abuse towards Adebayor.

I heard it loud and clear on ITV...what more proof do you need. Confirmed by those in the ground too.

Bloody armchair fan!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Can't say I did, and i'm sure it would've been picked up in the papers had it been as obvious as you said?
  • Options
    Up in arms, yes. Chucking coins, no.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

A few years ago at the Oval I gave Aussie bowler Shaun Tait a load of crap about Ashley Giles hitting him for six in the 2005 Test there. He eventually bit and turned round and gave me the finger and told me where to go. I thought it was brilliant, I laughed as did everyone around. I guess that shows the difference between football and cricket crowds.

Football used to be like this only a few years ago... (i.e. I've seen footballers give abuse back and rightly so its laughed off) - Now its all so touchy and someone has to be offended
  • Options

Walcott is one of the most overrated players of his generation

Who overrates him?
  • Options

Up in arms, yes. Chucking coins, no.

I wouldn't be up in arms. I'd realise it was the way things work and mutter under my breath and take it on the chin.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I thought the funniest thing on display was this...

Cant defend the coin throwing but I'd bet my bottom dollar on that not happening until after he held his fingers up. Lets not forget the context of the 2-3 minutes beforehand, he went down like a sack of sh*t under a challenge rolling around as if he'd been shot and they were all baying for the ball to be kicked out while Spurs kept possession but as soon as Ars*nal nicked the ball, he was cured by the power of god and instantly jumped to his feet and made a run on the far side. Got caught offside and in the very next move, went down in front of the Spurs fans. So obviously he's going to get some stick after he was blatanty taking the mickey 30 seconds beforehand.

For all of you saying its just banter...lets put this on the other foot. You're at the Den or Shithurst and a Millwall or Palace player does the same thing, right in front of you. Of course, just banter eh? You'd all be up in arms.

As for the game itself, Ars*nal were deserved winners. With 6 games in 17 games with our current injury list, it wasnt a surprise tbh.

I've got time for this post simply because a neutral has called the Freaks' ground "Shithurst". Just proves that Charlton Life really is an educational tool, among many other things.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And john boy ... sorry i didnt answer your question.

u said u wouldnt defend the coin throwing but then offered a few factors mitigating the reasons behind their motives for throwing, i.e. putting the blame back on TW for his gamesmanship. So in essence that is a defence of their actions.

However.. credit to you, you then restated explicitly that u dont condone it.

i dont know anybody at the valley who would have responded like that. Call him names, slate his touch - yes. But no projectiles
  • Options

Media outlets, bastions of proof and fact.

Oh wait...
  • Options

Oh wait...
    They love a bit of controversy, and have covered the chants a year or two ago. Yet nothing this year?

Of course trusting a Tottenham fan (sat at home) is much more trustworthy.
  • Options

Oh wait...
    They love a bit of controversy, and have covered the chants a year or two ago. Yet nothing this year?

Of course trusting a Tottenham fan (sat at home) is much more trustworthy.
    Pretty sure I've never seen the "wheels on the bus go round and round" song ever mentioned in even the local papers. It still gets sung..
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Oh you cricket guys!!!! Bet there were laughs from the players while they enjoyed their ham sandwiches and wagon wheels in between sessions.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Cant defend the coin throwing but I'd bet my bottom dollar on that not happening until after he held his fingers up. Lets not forget the context of the 2-3 minutes beforehand, he went down like a sack of sh*t under a challenge rolling around as if he'd been shot and they were all baying for the ball to be kicked out while Spurs kept possession but as soon as Ars*nal nicked the ball, he was cured by the power of god and instantly jumped to his feet and made a run on the far side. Got caught offside and in the very next move, went down in front of the Spurs fans. So obviously he's going to get some stick after he was blatanty taking the mickey 30 seconds beforehand.

You seen to be justifying what the Spurs fans did.

Yeah Walcott took the piss the preceeding couple of minutes play and set himself up for a shed load of abuse going down where he did....but that doesn't justify what then happened imo. Giving him close quarters, dogs bollox verbals etc has got to be the limit....the same for everyone. Reaching into your pocket, finding a metallic object to throw and hopefully injuring the recipient of said object is not exceptable behaviour....whatever the provocation.
  • Options
    If he had done it to Tottenham supporters outside the ground, he would have got a lot worse. It was a cowardly act and he got off lightly.
  • Options
    Well done Theo give those Spurs mugs some grief. Would be a shame if any action is taken, especially seeing a Spurs player attempt to stamp on Arsenal player on the grounds hand. As said earlier 'Yid Army' wouldn't throw many coins!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

If he had done it to Tottenham supporters outside the ground, he would have got a lot worse. It was a cowardly act and he got off lightly.

A cowardly act??? What, compared to the hardness that is throwing coins?

If you can't take someone telling you the score then don't give someone grief from 50 yards away.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Cant defend the coin throwing but I'd bet my bottom dollar on that not happening until after he held his fingers up.
    Lets not forget the context of the 2-3 minutes beforehand, he went down like a sack of sh*t under a challenge rolling around as if he'd been shot and they were all baying for the ball to be kicked out while Spurs kept possession but as soon as Ars*nal nicked the ball, he was cured by the power of god and instantly jumped to his feet and made a run on the far side. Got caught offside and in the very next move, went down in front of the Spurs fans. So obviously he's going to get some stick after he was blatanty taking the mickey 30 seconds beforehand.

People who were there have said the coins were being thrown before he even got on the stretcher
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A cowardly act??? What, compared to the hardness that is throwing coins?

If you can't take someone telling you the score then don't give someone grief from 50 yards away.
    Yes a cowardly act. He was safe in the knowledge nothing would hit him, but could have injured the poor sods carrying him off.
    He knew it would get a raise, why not just sit on your chariot and go down the tunnel.

If you was sat next to a palace fan and he was doing that to you, how would you respond?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

People who were there have said the coins were being thrown before he even got on the stretcher

Not what I was told by friends who were in the Spurs end last night.

Anyway, its done now. Cant turn the clock back. I'm pretty sure Spurs will ban the coin throwers once identified. There is no place for that in football.

• Options
    edited January 2014

He was safe in the knowledge nothing would hit him, but could have injured the poor sods carrying him off.

Absolute rubbish as if he was expecting them helmets to lob coins in his direction and how the fuck would he know it's not gonna hit him but hit the fellas carrying him..... So they could see his fingers but couldn't throw the coin at the rest of him...bizarre
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have a very real memory of Glenn Hoddle getting pelted with numerous coins from the covered end when taking a corner during the cup replay in 1985, so any suggestion that we are saints is a little wide of the mark. I am certain he picked a couple up and tucked them in his sock whilst reminding us of the score, anyone else remember this.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, 29 years earlier....
  • Options
    Why didn't they just carry him round the pitch in the other direction?
  • Options

Why didn't they just carry him round the pitch in the other direction?

Because they wouldn't be able to see where they were going...?

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

I have a very real memory of Glenn Hoddle getting pelted with numerous coins from the covered end when taking a corner during the cup replay in 1985, so any suggestion that we are saints is a little wide of the mark. I am certain he picked a couple up and tucked them in his sock whilst reminding us of the score, anyone else remember this.

certainly do.