Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Duggan Killing Lawful

The jury verdict today said it was a Lawful killing from the police but confirmed he had no gun on him

How can it be Lawful if he had no gun apparently it all kicked off in the courtroom after as well

Some idiots on twitter already saying "lets start the riots again" lets just hope it does not happen

Comments

• Options
    My understanding is the jury believed he did not have a gun in his hand when he was shot but in all probability he had one in the taxi but chucked it out when the taxi stopped, a gun was found about 20ft from the scene.

Hope common sense prevails and nothing kicks off.
  • Options
    there wont be riots ..too cold ...fact...always best to reach decisions like this when its cold ,dark and wet !
  • Options
    pointless as we haven't heard any of the evidence
  • Options

His family didn't believe he had a gun nor was a gangster. Odd.

Deluded.
  • Options
    I see Diana Abbott has had her usual penniesworth.
  • Options
    Seem to remember David Lammy giving an interview just after it happened, understanding peoples frustrations but calling for calm and thinking to meself, that's gonna give em the green light to do something
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So within a couple of weeks we have a rip thread for Ronnie Biggs, but this guy was a gangster and deserved to die ?.. am I the only one that can see the irony in that ?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

So within a couple of weeks we have a rip thread for Ronnie Biggs, but this guy was a gangster and deserved to die ?.. am I the only one that can see the irony in that ?

Who said he deserved to die?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

There's a difference between saying he deserved to die and saying the police were lawfully right to shoot. The police thought he was a danger, had strong enough evidence to think he was armed and shot to potentially save anyone else being shot, the jury found the police actions lawful, that didn't mean he deserved to die just that nobody else did!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Good

Old school good?

• Options
    Redskin said:

BIG_ROB said:

Good

Old school good?

No, just good.
  • Options
    Surely all that is needed for it to be lawful is that the police officer is able to justify the use of his firearm? That is, if he genuinely thought Mark Duggan had a gun and was intending to use it on him and his colleagues, or indeed was putting the public in danger, then I presume that would be sufficient to justify firing his gun.

I don't think we need to go down the route of demonising either Duggan or the police officer, do we?
  • Options
    People need to get out of their heads the whole "so it's OK to kill someone who is unarmed now".

The law does not say you can lawfully kill unarmed people. The 'lawfulness' is determined by the officers' belief of him holding a gun at the time and the jury heard evidence on this point. Of course that is not ideal but equally, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    People are surprised that his family would try to paint him in a good light? Might not have even known about his activity outside the house.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

shine166 said:

Well saying 'good' at the fact the jury verdict was lawful killing is not far off it.

I just think this is a slippery slope, next someone will be shot because a gun is thought to be on scene but then never found
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shine166 said:

J BLOCK said:

shine166 said:

Well saying 'good' at the fact the jury verdict was lawful killing is not far off it.

I just think this is a slippery slope, next someone will be shot because a gun is thought to be on scene but then never found
    How do you work that out? I said good JUST at the verdict for fuck sake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like a lawful killing to me on the evidence released anyway. Police were following him for a reason. I don't believe our armed Police are blood thirsty maniacs who go round shooting people willy-nilly.

Once the evidence on Duggan was seen by the jury during the build up to the incident there was only going to be one verdict.
  • Options
    You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Sounds like a lawful killing to me on the evidence released anyway. Police were following him for a reason. I don't believe our armed Police are blood thirsty maniacs who go round shooting people willy-nilly.

Once the evidence on Duggan was seen by the jury during the build up to the incident there was only going to be one verdict.

The police NOT shooting the 2 Rigby murderers is a geat example of this
  • Options
    If you live life the way he did,it was always going to end badly.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

there wont be riots ..too cold ...fact...always best to reach decisions like this when its cold ,dark and wet !

I thought exactly this.
  • Options
    It just all stinks to me. First off he was shot after he shot a police man (the bullet that finished in the Police mans radio was actually a bullet that hit Duggan), next he pulled a gun on them and now the apparent story is the gun was 20 yards from the body and probably thrown from the taxi.

Duggan may have been a criminal, but he should be facing that same great British justice system that the 2 blokes from Woolwich are getting.
  • Options
    This was aways a lose lose situation for the police.

It wasn't 10 police officers as the jury, it was 10 members of the public who are were not biased.
  • Options
    I have actually spoken to someone who knew Duggan from the street and if what I was told is correct, I'm glad he never lived anywhere near me. The bloke was a wrong un.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!