Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fist-gnawingly annoying adverts

124»

Comments

• Options

The Hive adverts. What. The. Actual. Fuck.

How do people come up with this shit and think 'annoying' helps to sell products?

I think this scene plays out at least ten times a day in 'creative' agencies...
    A bunch of hipster Shoreditch bell-ends sitting round brainstorming their creative visions for a spiffing new ad campaign. They're all completely stumped, when suddenly one snaps his fingers:

"I've got it!" We'll get some really shit animation that looks like a ten year old did it in Flash 5, some tuneless with a ukelele warbling 'ironic' poetry over the top of it, and have it bookended by Dizzee Rascal/Tinie Tempah/Dopey Wankah proselytising about it".

"By Jove Atticus, I think you've got something there..."

Advertising. For those with truly no talent whatsoever.

Saying advertising is for the talentless is an absurd statement.

Yes there some highly irritating ad's (The Hive one, Vanorma to name two), but even them work to an extent in that we are now aware of the product they want us to be.

However there are some ad's which are truly genius and require a great deal of talent to create, most of the Guiness ad's being just one example of outstanding adverts.
    I'm glad you said that. For once Leroy's splendid rant has hit entirely the wrong target.

Most advertising is tedious at best, and often dire. And you know whose fault that is? The company which commissioned it, not the agency that created it.

Furthermore, we are considered pretty much the best in the world in advertising. We're actually the Germany of advertising. Consistent. The Brazilians often shine but often their work doesn't actually..work.

If you think our advertising is bad, switch on your TV next time you are in continental Europe.

And anyone who wants to slag off the John Lewis penguins has a heart by-pass.
  • Options
    The radio advert for free conference call or whatever it is is so annoying

They use the phrase "evil telecom" about 100 times.

When it comes to television, I watch the vast amount of my TV on demand, and they tend to have a lot less adverts that get played on a loop, so if there is an advert you don't like, you will see it about 100 times...
  • Options

The Hive adverts. What. The. Actual. Fuck.

How do people come up with this shit and think 'annoying' helps to sell products?

I think this scene plays out at least ten times a day in 'creative' agencies...
    A bunch of hipster Shoreditch bell-ends sitting round brainstorming their creative visions for a spiffing new ad campaign. They're all completely stumped, when suddenly one snaps his fingers:

"I've got it!" We'll get some really shit animation that looks like a ten year old did it in Flash 5, some tuneless with a ukelele warbling 'ironic' poetry over the top of it, and have it bookended by Dizzee Rascal/Tinie Tempah/Dopey Wankah proselytising about it".

"By Jove Atticus, I think you've got something there..."

Advertising. For those with truly no talent whatsoever.

Saying advertising is for the talentless is an absurd statement.

Yes there some highly irritating ad's (The Hive one, Vanorma to name two), but even them work to an extent in that we are now aware of the product they want us to be.

However there are some ad's which are truly genius and require a great deal of talent to create, most of the Guiness ad's being just one example of outstanding adverts.
    I'm glad you said that. For once Leroy's splendid rant has hit entirely the wrong target.

Most advertising is tedious at best, and often dire. And you know whose fault that is? The company which commissioned it, not the agency that created it.

Furthermore, we are considered pretty much the best in the world in advertising. We're actually the Germany of advertising. Consistent. The Brazilians often shine but often their work doesn't actually..work.

If you think our advertising is bad, switch on your TV next time you are in continental Europe.

And anyone who wants to slag off the John Lewis penguins has a heart by-pass.
    Totally agree. I've worked on media owner side for various companies for most of my career and it's us and agencies that come up with great ideas, well beyond standard airtime / press ads etc, but companies just don't want to know sometimes and are afraid to try and do something different. There are some wonderfully talented people throughout the industry.
  • Options
    Some American ads are real quality. I've a soft spot for the Geico Gecko. Although I suppose that a gecko speaking with a London accent and using phrases like "some bloke" for a US audience is a bit weird! (Voiced by the actor who plays Max Branning on Eastenders BTW.)
  • Options
    The muller corner one. With Nicole Shirtswinger or however you spell it. The acting makes my blood boil
  • Options
    DamoNorthstand and co - are on demand and iplayer type things reducing the effectiveness of advertising?

I say this as we usually record itv programmes and watch 20 mins later so we can fast forward the adverts. Presumably the higher percentage of a programmes viewing figures that are watched after the event as such, means the advertisers are getting less bang for their buck.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

DamoNorthstand and co - are on demand and iplayer type things reducing the effectiveness of advertising?

I say this as we usually record itv programmes and watch 20 mins later so we can fast forward the adverts. Presumably the higher percentage of a programmes viewing figures that are watched after the event as such, means the advertisers are getting less bang for their buck.

It makes the importance of sponsorship and ad funded content more important. Product placement and the like.

Something like the Sainsbury's advert was engaging content first, and an advert second. As such it is social media friendly and will be viewed in more ways than a 30 sec spot in the middle of Coro wuld have been 20 years ago.

I think that advertisers need to create content that can be shared and talked about.

TV companies will be making up any losses in advertising revenue from standard broadcast platforms via their online 'on demand' platforms.
  • Options
    on the wireless - "Have I got PPI" sounds like an infection to me.
  • Options
    Any advert during a major football tournament featuring actors who look like they were brought up playing polo trying to be all 'passionate' about the 'footie'.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

What's the TV advert with the woman in the purple dress, who spots another woman in the same dress, so alters her necklace and walks past her and mimics to the other one to do the same? Wtf is all that about? She looks so smug as well.

The first woman has the dress on back to front.
    Oh is that the joke!? It will still annoy the hell out of me though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peter Andre and Iceland (I'm a celebrity) is really getting on my tits
  • Options
    The quidco one. Want to punch all of them on it, even the woman (even though i would)
  • Options
    With PVRs and on demand content, there's no real need for anyone to watch adverts any more. I haven't seen 75% of those being complained about here, and that's not through watching less telly.

As for talentless creatives, that's clearly ridiculous(although the marketing teams behind the creatives are exactly that, in my experience). But adverts, artistically speaking or otherwise, are an invasion and should be dealt with as an unwelcome intruder. Not watched with transfixed eyes and discussed later. Look at how many brand names have achieved presence in this discussion. I'd say they've done their job remarkably well!

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

But adverts, artistically speaking or otherwise, are an invasion and should be dealt with as an unwelcome intruder.

Indeed, that's why I run adblock plus, especially for this site ;-)
  • Options
    I worked in Advertising all my working life. It's not quite Child Trafficking, but it is nothing to be proud of, a bit like Politics or Banking or Professional Football. DamoNorthStand and one or two others making a fortune as I used to, can talk as much righteous bollocks as they like. The only purpose of Advertising is all about conning people into buying something that they almost certainly don't need and probably didn't want. If you want to get on in Advertising or Marketing the first thing you do is to expunge any thoughts of Integrity, it is simply not allowed. If you are lucky you may re-discover it when you leave the business.
  • Options
    The Android advert, it's one big noisy mess.
  • Options
    The Sky Sports "advert" for the transfer deadline. I'm not joking.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The new money supermarket one with sharon Osborne at the end, what the actual fuck is that?

Vanarama

Anything to do with allways, femfresh, vagisil etc

Adverts for PPI or work related accidents, nicking a living and always has shit acting in it
  • Options
    The one over Christmas for Broadchurch when it said "there once was a boy, and he was killed". More insensitive that fist knowingly annoying imo