Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Avram Grant being linked again

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
It was floated around when RD first assumed control, mainly due to his Israeli connections that have gone on to impact Liege, and again when the Sporting Director / Katrine was first rumoured..

However the People linked him again with us yesterday in Director of Football role, and this ties in with other rumours that have been floating around the last few days.

Don't know about others but hope to god this isn't true. I can't for the life of me think of anything positive to say about him in a football sense and think this would be a disaster for a dozen different reasons.

Very hope that is all it is, just talk.

I have a fear its not though.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    Does anybody know what a director of football actually does? Regardless of who it is
  • Options
    not saying im itk but i did post it on the takeover thread ;)

***The Takeover thread mk. 3.0 (IT'S DONE!!!)***
    by AdamAddick · January 3
    Avram grant hes coming for you
  • Options

It was floated around when RD first assumed control, mainly due to his Israeli connections that have gone on to impact Liege, and again when the Sporting Director / Katrine was first rumoured..

However the People linked him again with us yesterday in Director of Football role, and this ties in with other rumours that have been floating around the last few days.

Don't know about others but hope to god this isn't true. I can't for the life of me think of anything possible to say about him in a football sense and think this would be a disaster for a dozen different reasons.

Thoughts ?

What other rumours are floating around?
  • Options
    Has a reasonable pedigree and I think he has generally received an unfavourable british press because he was not Mourinho at Chelsea. I think I would be pretty neutral to any appointment subject to what his actual remit/role was.

My main worry would be if RD is effectively picking the players to come here, AG is Directing football, then what does Powell do, except pick up the flack for any bad performances?
  • Options
    Well he got appointed DOF at Chelsea and Portsmouth before being appointed manager so that would be a concern. He seems to have a good knowledge of the game so if he was to be purely a DOF it might not be terrible but he just doesn't seem to have the character to be a manager.
  • Options
    Do we really need a DoF when we only seem to be signing players from Roland's other clubs?
  • Options
    Would take it as a positive personally
  • Options

Don't know about others but hope to god this isn't true. I can't for the life of me think of anything possible to say about him in a football sense and think this would be a disaster for a dozen different reasons.

Thoughts ?

What other rumours are floating around?
    That aside from the People piece, he's been rumoured to have been in talks.

• Options
    He's useless.
  • Options
    Limited funds better spent on players ffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Urgh....is this a game of 'see how far we can demoralise Chris Powell?'
    Don't think he will put up with much more.
  • Options
    It would be a bit ominous really wouldn't it. Any prolonged bad run and it would be bye bye manager Chris and hello Avram
  • Options
    jams said:

Does anybody know what a director of football actually does? Regardless of who it is

Typically, a Football/Sporting Director will work on the business side of the commercial deals to bring in new or to sell players.

This works best when the Coach (Manager) identifies a player to bring in and the FD "does the deal". Or when the Coach identifies a player that must be moves on, the FD arranges fees, wages and the commercial deal on the sale/loan.

Sometimes clubs (Chelsea for example) will set up deals with a number of players, and only then approach the Coach for him to choose which of the players should be brought in. The FD then finalises that deal and let's the others drop.

Where it goes wrong is when the FD and Coach disagree on bringing in players. For example the FD does a deal to buy a player he thinks is right and the Coach doesn't want him.

When it works well it's great. (Why would we expect Chris Powell to be able to negotiate with foreign agents and lawyers on potentially complex deals?). When it doesn't, it REALLY doesn't!

In my view, this role should be taken by Richard Murray. He knows enough about deals and sufficiently little about tactics!
  • Options
    I reckon its bollox. Ackworth was believing it, can't be true!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Well he got appointed DOF at Chelsea and Portsmouth before being appointed manager so that would be a concern. He seems to have a good knowledge of the game so if he was to be purely a DOF it might not be terrible but he just doesn't seem to have the character to be a manager.

Yes. Chelsea posted the biggest loss of any football club in the world. And Portsmouth plummeted down the tables as fast as their business plans were torn up.

• Options
    Richard Murray always sold our players for peanuts.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Would take it as a positive personally

Be interested on your thoughts of why mate (as I have the complete opposite view)
  • Options
    Millwall will be happy, they could get some extra use out that banner they flew over the DW for west ham!

Avram coming as DOF doesn't overly concern per se, the guy done successfully enough for Chelsea, from the little I've seen him as uninspiring as he comes across he doesn't strike me as someone who would rock the boat and could offer Powell some support in terms of understanding the British game and be able to guide the board in a supportive way.

The concern comes really in trying to understand if we really need someone in that role? How influential is this Israeli connection, he seems even from the brief mention in the meet the board interview to intimate that the Liege way is the receipe for success all be it they seem only be achieving at the mid way point this season.

Whether non executive or not I just hope RM comes to the for in terms of guidance here
  • Options
    Foreign and maybe an associate of Duchatalet. Knows the English game somewhat, so maybe a real possibility.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All I can say is - I f'kin hope not
  • Options
    What is the link with RD and Avram, apart from the fact the SL coach is Israeli? Seems tenuous to me
  • Options
    Thanks Chizz, cleared that up for me.

To my mind then there are two issues here - 1) do we really need a DOF? 2) if so then you'd hope SCP would have some say in the matter (May be wishful thinking on my part)

Incidentally am I right in that this is the role curbs has taken on at Fulham?
  • Options
    Do Standard have D of F and if so who?

Or is Grant going to be a pan-european D of F.

Can't say I would be too impressed
  • Options
    Where has this rumour even come from? Haven't seen it anywhere other than on here.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

jams said:

...Sometimes clubs (Chelsea for example) will set up deals with a number of players, and only then approach the Coach for him to choose which of the players should be brought in. The FD then finalises that deal and let's the others drop...
    Does this really go on? It seems like a remarkably inefficient way of doing business that at the same time could alienate people who you might want on your side later on.

I can believe it of Chelsea though :-)
  • Options
    I would need to know more about what he may or may not have got up to when yachting the Med in the company of a certain Russian billionaire before forming a full view of how good an influence he is likely to have at a club like Charlton.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    He's a dour character but I thought he was able to create a siege mentality for his various teams with an 'us' against the rest of the world scenario. He has managed at numerous clubs for over a quarter of a century and has held Director of Football (DOF) roles at some of these so loads of experience and contacts here and abroad.

DOF is not something we are accustomed to in this country and is very much a continental approach with someone overseeing football development, transfers, contracts and the such like so that the 'Manager' as we know him no longer has these distractions and can concentrate of pure footballing matters thereby being retitled 'Head coach'.

A number of this country's old school managers have not been prepared to work under such a structure and If memory serves me well Curbs was unhappy with these proposals at West Ham, yet he now fulfils that role at Fulham. Is it all that bad, a more senior figure with the experience of Grant would also be able to advise CP which unfortunately would then make Keith Peacock surplus to requirements. It would also give an owner the comfort of having his own hand picked football 'expert' looking after his investment.

Should however the Head Coach's position become untenable, the owner has a ready made replacement to take over the reins pending a new appointment. So if the rumours are true, the appointment of a DOF could be RD's insurance policy. If anyone can make it work CP can, whether he wants the shackles on him remains to be seen, Interesting times indeed.
  • Options
    Wasn't Dowie appointed here as Head Coach?