Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Au revoir Yann. Thanks for the memories!

Comments

• Options
    This thread is TOO SOON. Give me time to grieve.
  • Options
    Nice piece @bigstemarra. I do agree with your point of view.

Maybe though, I just don't get is as I'm 40+ now and when I was in awe of footballers was ages ago. Also, I missed his first 3/4 home games and our promotion season was the first time in 26 seasons I didn't see an away match, so I was never going to think this squad was a big a part of my life as others. The same applies to CP.
  • Options
    he had passion, provided us with moments of brilliance and considering that hes our top scorer and he has only had half a season, it sais something. Please also bear in mind we are still the lowest scoring team in the football league.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So you don't understand the big fuss about CP and Yann ....or you haven't seen enough of them to give an opinion on them but can give an opinion on those that have. Or are you just a bit confused?
  • Options
    People love him as he has talent and passion. Jackson has passion no talent, solly/wiggins/Stephens talent but no passion,

Yann has both. I really really hope there is some quality lined up waiting in the wings otherwise we are proper fooked
  • Options
    Please stop this thread still hoping he will stay until on OS
  • Options
    I'll just add that I haven't once slagged Yann's ability. Neither have I slagged him for moving.

The over top proclamations that hint at him being legend are what narked me.

As I have already said I'll reserve judgement on the sale side of things until the window closes.

Nothing will change my mind that the hero worship is an over reaction.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Time will tell - this time Saturday you'll all be smiling again. Kermy is a good player but get real people he aint gonna take us to the next level. Now if he was in the class of mendonca I could understand the out pouring of grief but he aint, a good middle of the table championship striker who is fecking 32 get over it onwards and upwards COYR! Connor Wickham anyone?
  • Options
    His departure has not been confirmed and yet people are writing his obituary
  • Options

Time will tell - this time Saturday you'll all be smiling again. Kermy is a good player but get real people he aint gonna take us to the next level. Now if he was in the class of mendonca I could understand the out pouring of grief but he aint, a good middle of the table championship striker who is fecking 32 get over it onwards and upwards COYR! Connor Wickham anyone?

At the moment were only interested in staying at this level.
  • Options
    @bigstemarra sums yann up for me perfectly.

I just didn't know how to write it. Gutted.
  • Options
    And we will despite Powell as manager
  • Options
    It's all part of the master plan; last night we started with 6 defensive players, by Easter it'll be 10.
  • Options
    Mendonca used to score 14-15 goals a season for Grimsby, a sometimes good sometimes below average league one team. Considering Kermorgant scores goals, and brings people into play more than Mendonca - albeit he was great holding the ball up to feet - does that make him better. Kermorgant is top three out of all the strikers I've seen for us in tier 2: that's since the early 90's. Behind Hunt and Mendonca. I like watching him play. I appreciate some of our other players, but very few of them am I eager to watch on the ball and off the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok Jackson has talent but yann has a special talent.

Solly plays with passion, yann has a special kind of passion.

All in all he's a bit of a special player an I really don't see how anything under a mil is 'worth' selling for. He's worth that much to us by just seeing out his contract
  • Options

He'll be replaced by the Iranian

Turn it in. He's a player who completed less than 3 years at the club. If he's gone and got himself a decent final payday then good luck to him, but the over reaction on here is laughable.

Given the posts on the subject and opinions expressed have you considered it's your post that is laughable.
    Why is it laughable? Because it doesn't match the majority of opinions on here. I'm not having it that he's this legend that people are making him out to be.

If he's gone, then he's gone. Lets wait and see a) if he is actually gone b) whether we replace him before jumping off a bridge.

He'll be replaced by the Iranian when what we really needed was someone playing alongside him. Don't think too many people are claiming he's a legend, merely acknowledging that he's a vital piece of this team & if you dispute that than more pity you. It seems that the fee is around 200k, that should buy an adequate replacement. See you in Division 1
    He can get the Iranian in anyway. Why would he sell one of his best players to recoup peanuts only to get relegated mad lose far more money. They would only let Yann leave if they have a replacement lined up. Otherwise they would keep him and let him leave in the summer. Reza and another will come in.
    Why indeed ? A replacement lined up ? I wouldnt hold your breath on that one.
  • Options
    Those sublime free kicks.
  • Options

I can understand the devotion.

When we had hit a real low point and were wallowing in League One, we didn't recognise our club anymore.

Then there was new hope, a new manager we could get behind and a new team.

Compared to some of the journeyman dross that we had been putting up with for the last few seasons, we finally had players that understood our club and were proud to go into battle wearing our colours - and it showed.

There are a few players that deserve special mention in this regard, but for me personally, it was Yann that epitomised this. His attitude, skill, determination and class shone through and he was a joy to watch; not only this, he gave everything he had on the pitch and that is why he is loved by Charlton fans. For me he was more than just a player - he was a figurehead of our transformation as a club and our optimism at finally 'getting our Charlton back'. He came to the club as an outsider, a foreigner, and we took him to our hearts and he repaid this in spades.

OK, he may not have been here long, but to me he is a legend, not just for his performances as a player, but what he represents to me personally as the epitome of what I would want from a Charlton player - heart, class, toughness and skill. He was all that and more and I am devastated that he has gone.

I am sure that I am not alone.

Absolutely spot on
  • Options
    Without Yann, we are Les Miserables.
  • Options
    I'm clinging on to the fact its not on the OS yet, that is only when I shall say goodbye.
  • Options
    I understand the emotion here - he is a talismanic character. I have enormously enjoyed his contribution to the club and he has provided many memorable moments.

He resurrected his career with us at the same time Powell resurrected the club - a sort of all for one - one for all relationship. If, as seems likely, he moves on I shall miss him but such is the nature of professional football.

Like so many other professions today life gets ever tougher the closer you get to your "sell by" date. As a professional athlete carrying injuries, and as pre season training seems to get ever harder and your relative costs are seen as evermore expensive the right deals do not come around very often. There is no "sell on" fee for the club.

With most clubs most professionals over 30/31 are going to struggle to get more than a 1yr deal. If a club is prepared to pay the price for a 2 1/2 year for a player aged 32 then you would likely snatch their hand off.

Football can be a game for heros and villains - I share the sadness as a hero departs - let us hope a new hero arises soon.

Gourchemmenou! Yann

• Options
    edited January 2014
    At least we all know that he won't celebrate when he scores the winner for Bournemouth against us! And Leicester will be relieved!
  • Options

...Can't wait to stand on that lovely open concrete terrace at Exeter again!

The one that suffered a landslide?
  • Options
    Gutted.