Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options
    I doubt any of us really know what his ability is like as a coach because none of us sit in on training sessions to be able to make any kind of judgement. And none of us know what kind of manager he'd be or how good he may be because he hasn't had the opportunity yet. 

It seems pretty clear that JJ thinks he's ready for an opportunity at management however however there are countless assistant's probably in the same position as JJ who want a management opportunity however the football league tends to follow the same pattern of appointment, either  a journeyman type manager who is established on the management merry-go-round or someone who has an affinity with the club they've been appointed to.
    JJ has no track record in management yet and outside of Charlton isn't that well known really, that's not to say he couldn't interview for a job and blow them away and be offered it, just that its unlikely when you see the profile of managers appointed in the football league, especially mid season. 

If you took emotion out the decision then you would think the best route for JJ to follow is continue in his role under NA and then hope to be considered when the role does come available  at whatever point NA moves on, whenever that is. Taking any of the current negativity around NA out the equation the average shelf life of any manager nowadays must be what 2-3 years? You would think he had a really good shot at being our next manager given he already has his foot in the door, is known around the club internally, and would have the full support of fans.
  • Options
    If there were internal rumblings that Jackson could be the next Wenger, Adkins would be nowhere near the job. 
  • Options
    For all those doubting his coaching/management credentials. 
    He has a UEFA pro licence - they don’t give those away with a pipe of Pringles. 
    I’m Jacko I trust - NADS doesn’t inspire any confidence in me playing 4-5-1 at home against a newly promoted side. 
  • Options
    If there were internal rumblings that Jackson could be the next Wenger, Adkins would be nowhere near the job. 
    We don't need him to be the next Wenger. We need to get promoted to the Championship. No guarantee he'd do it but he also shouldn't be written off.

I want Adkins to turn it around but if he goes JJ should be seriously considered. I'd much rather he got a chance than another merry-go-round manager like Adkins. If it wasn't him for me it would have to be a young manager doing well at a L1 or L2 club.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We don't need him to be the next Wenger. We need to get promoted to the Championship. No guarantee he'd do it but he also shouldn't be written off.

I want Adkins to turn it around but if he goes JJ should be seriously considered. I'd much rather he got a chance than another merry-go-round manager like Adkins. If it wasn't him for me it would have to be a young manager doing well at a L1 or L2 club.
    He has applied at least once. He has been considered every single time since Slade I'd imagine and every time they've decided he's not ready. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He has applied at least once. He has been considered every single time since Slade I'd imagine and every time they've decided he's not ready. 
    So by that logic you can't trust the judgement made by RD/TS since Slade, Robinson and possibly Adkins were poor appointments. RD got lucky with Bowyer as he impressed while he was caretaker.
  • Options
    Jackson was a very intelligent footballer, no reason to believe he wouldn't be equally as good as a Manager if not better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m Jacko I trust - NADS doesn’t inspire any confidence in me playing 4-5-1 at home against a newly promoted side. 
    We had a formation? I thought they just sauntered around where they felt like!

• Options

Sauntering might have been more entertaining 
  • Options

At more than one point it looked to me like they were trying to form a circle around the outside of the pitch with absolutely no-one anywhere near the middle. The pioneering O-formation, I'm not sure it will catch on.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Kirk and DJ were stuck on their wings and couldn't go past anyone and were poor out of possession. The midfield was surrendered to Cheltenham.

Agree that JJ or Euell should  be judged when they pick the team, tactics and formation and if they get the best out of the 11 or 14 if we use all our subs.

Nigel Adkins has made a poor start even allowing for the injuries to Purrington and Inniss and not finding a way to replace the Goals of Aneke so far.
  • Options
    Kirk and DJ were stuck on their wings and couldn't go past anyone and were poor out of possession. The midfield was surrendered to Cheltenham.

Agree that JJ or Euell should  be judged when they pick the team, tactics and formation and if they get the best out of the 11 or 14 if we use all our subs.

Nigel Adkins has made a poor start even allowing for the injuries to Purrington and Inniss and not finding a way to replace the Goals of Aneke so far.
    I don’t think he can blame injuries .  At times in the past 2-3 seasons, we’ve had whole 11s out .  Inniss is a crock- we presumably knew that when he signed and even then, he’s played most of the games .  Purrington might be better than Gunter , but he wouldn’t make a huge difference 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Would do.for me..

Despite the hyperbole, the set up we have is not  suitable for a manager like Adkins. The rhetoric is still the same.

When he was at Southampton the set up was great. I should suspect every target he wanted he more than often got and he was left to get on with it.
    We are still wheeling and dealing for players. Dragging our feet/not stumping up.

I like Adkins but when he does his videos and says 'Charlton Athletic football club' I always get the the impression of a 'insert club name here£ mentality. We could be anyone to him. He doesn't know much about our history and probably doesn't care too much for it. And I get that. Why should he? He's payed to get results.

But unfortunately for him,the set up I've described above we've seen many times before. And it's usually those with an affinity for the club that can operate relatively well under it.
  • Options
    Anyone who attempts to start a new thread about Jacko without bumping this one first should be instantly banned. 
  • Options
    Isn’t it weird that Adkins didn’t bring his own coaching team with him?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He was out of management for nearly 2 years, plus he may not have been able to.
  • Options
    It was the Crawley performance that made me think he’d be worth a try, perhaps initially as caretaker manager. (Yes, I know it was only Crawley). 
    When Seed took the job he refused a contract saying they could give him one if results justified it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I think it more likely that JJ et al came as part of the package, take it or leave it.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think it more likely that JJ et al came as part of the package, take it or leave it.
    Yep , that worked well for Murray when he forced the coaching staff on Dowie 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Surely the only time he realistically applied was when Bowyer left?

When Robinson left, he was clearly junior to Bowyer in the coaching setup, it would have been odd to skip Bowyer for him
  • Options

It seems pretty clear that JJ thinks he's ready for an opportunity at management however however there are countless assistant's probably in the same position as JJ who want a management opportunity however the football league tends to follow the same pattern of appointment, either  a journeyman type manager who is established on the management merry-go-round or someone who has an affinity with the club they've been appointed to.

EFL appointments are a bit broader than that. You can add 2 more categories

Premier League players, taking their first job - the likes of Kewell, Hasselbaink, Ince, Joey Barton, Russell Martin, Sol Campbell have all taken the reigns at smaller EFL clubs as their first job, with varying degrees of success. Indeed Bowyer to an extent fits this model, yes he was a former player of ours, but his overall playing career was as much of a selling point as where he started

Successful academy coaches at PL clubs - the likes of Liam Manning at MKD and Neil Critchley at Blackpool had no real playing career, and instead made their name in academy coaching as did Brendan Rodgers. Clubs appoint such managers because they want their teams to play in a similar style to the top sides.
  • Options
    Yesterday, Monday 25 October 2021, Johnnie Jackson moved into second-place in the table of people who have had the shortest-ever spell as Charlton manager. 

He should move into third place in the list on Sunday, when he will move past Damien Matthew, who had the role for 9 days in 2015.  

Fourth place will be secured on Monday, when he will be due to go past Keith Peacock's spell in 2011.  

And the next day, Tuesday, he will move to fifth place, by surpassing Kevin Nugent's 11-day spell as one of five managers Charlton employed during 2016. 

Remaining in number one spot, as most time-limited tenure in the role as Manager (or "interim") (or caretaker) (or, as Katrien Meire might have wanted it "interim caretaker") is... Johnnie Jackson, from way back in March 2021. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I wasn’t Jackson in and I’m not sure if I’m Jackson out. I think it would be extremely harsh to let him go after picking up 30 points from 20 games with this group.

These losses against top six sides are to be expected when you’ve got a squad filled with mediocre mid table dross. Especially when you’ve got three (now four) strikers out injured.
  • Options
    It reminds me of the time in August when we said 'judge Adkins once the window has closed'. It did close and we looked no better. 

This time it'll be 'judge Jackson when the strikers come back'. Stockley isn't going to turn this team into world-beaters. They look defeated and so does Jackson. 

The new formation worked for a bit, got figured out and now Jackson doesn't know what to do next. 
  • Options
    We have to stand by Jacko, come what may, otherwise we will end up with another Adkins type. 
    Jacko doesn’t have the squad to do anything with. 
    Too many Watson, Gunter, Gilbey, Morgan  types who won’t get us anywhere. 
    Let’s get to 52 points and call it a day.