Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew uses his head

Comments

• Options
    Genuine question. Why should a manager get treated differently when headbutting an opponent than a player on the pitch headbutting an opponent.
  • Options
    Because the manager is supposed to set an example to players.
  • Options
    Well that was my first thought. Maybe managers should be setting examples. But then captains also set examples to the rest of there team mates. And the rest of the players should be setting examples to kids etc
  • Options
    He is a nutter, in more ways than one!
  • Options
    Ince got a five match ban, he only served four before he got sacked, there's still hope.
  • Options
    Pardew said he shouldn't have been there in the first place. It has been said above that he obstructed the player from getting the ball, I agree.
    He stood his ground quite determinedly when the player went to get the ball, not in an 'I'm sorry mate am I in your way' kind of way, he knew where the ball was, he knew the player would need to get it, he knew he should have taken a step away to allow the player free access to the ball, and he knew he had a chance to move out of the way before the player arrived to get the ball. He didn't.
    Then he said he 'pushed' the player away with his head as if he was being approached, quite the reverse. I think I counted four steps Alan Pardew walked towards the player before the head butt, he wasn't having to fend the player off with his head at all in the slightest.
    If only 10% of the stories regarding Alan Pardew at Charlton are true then they would suggest that he thinks everything ought to revolve around him and everything he says is right, and everything should be his way. It is as if he is now offering to do the world a favour by sitting down from now on and not causing touchline trouble.
    Thanks for that Alan.
  • Options
    If it were possible I would love Pardew to get a year long stadium ban, and be told to spend matchdays working in a dementia care home, might teach him some humility and perspective.
    Seven year contract? This must be the perfect opportunity for Mike Ashley to sack him.
  • Options
    Cynical ploy to take the limelight away from Sunderland's cup final today.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If it were possible I would love Pardew to get a year long stadium ban, and be told to spend matchdays working in a dementia care home, might teach him some humility and perspective.
    Seven year contract? This must be the perfect opportunity for Mike Ashley to sack him.

That's an outrageous statement. They might have dementia but they'll still know he's a pr*ck!
  • Options
    when Pardew was our Manager at the shareholder AGM Richard Murray was asked how he got on with Pardew . His response as i remember it was " im the Prem league you need a certain arrogance to perform" and he left it there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should be banned from all football involement by the FA till the end of next season minimum.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I remember what was probably a VIP (5 yr S/T holder) Q&A meeting.

Someone asked Pardew about the burgers, (which admittedly was a ridiculous question), but he was very rude, saying something along the lines of, I haven't come down here tonight to talk about the state of Charlton's burgers.

It wasn't so much what he said, as the rude, arrogant & insulting way he said it.

Loathsome individual.

• Options
    Big nosed prick could of taken the fellas eye out with his hooter !
  • Options

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew's reaction to aiming a headbutt in the direction of Hull City's David Meyler was to announce - while actually keeping a straight face - that he had not "had too many problems in the past".
    This is not strictly true. Indeed the latest touchline transgression from Pardew merely confirms a belief that he can become an out-of-control liability as he patrols his technical area.
    Pardew's behaviour in his confrontation with Meyler, removing the spotlight totally from Newcastle's fine 4-1 win at the KC Stadium, follows a pattern that must now be stopped by the severest punishment possible from the Football Association.
    Pardew accepted blame, once again, but his track record suggests the apologies, contrition and promises to change merely provide a delay and a shield between this transgression and his next.

Not too many problems? Well, apart from abusing Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini in the crudest terms earlier this season, a two-match touchline ban for pushing assistant referee Peter Kirkup during a game against Tottenham Hotspur in August 2012 and a £10,000 fine for an altercation with Arsenal's Arsene Wenger when he was manager of West Ham United in 2006. No. Not too many problems at all.
    There were suggestions from some quarters on Saturday evening that Pardew's altercation with Meyler could put his position as Newcastle manager in question.
    The club acted quickly to issue him with a fine of £100,000 and a formal warning - and the FA would not be taking its position seriously if Pardew was not hit with the most severe punishment available.
    If a player was to act in such a manner, heavy sanctions would be demanded - and deserved. For a manager, let alone an experienced one, to continue to show such a lack of discipline and self-control is on a different plane entirely.
    How can Pardew demand discipline and control from his players, and deliver this message with any semblance of authority, when he is such a serious serial offender himself? His authority, with his own players and in general, has now been utterly undermined.
    As for the suggestion that he will now stick to his seat and send assistant John Carver, someone hardly known as a shrinking violet on the touchline himself, out to deliver the orders, this is nonsensical.
    Pardew must be punished in a manner that will finally convince him that the technical area is not a place where opposition managers and players should be verbally and physically abused. And he must be kept away from it for a very long time.
    He may escape with a heavy financial punishment and a lengthy touchline ban - but Pardew could not complain if he was excluded from the stadium when Newcastle play for a long period. This would certainly be a fitting punishment for any supporter who continued to behave in the manner Pardew has.
    No-one wishes to see automatons on the touchline and passion is at the heart of football. What is not at the heart of football is a manager who has consistently failed to exercise the correct level of self-control for someone in his position, with all the responsibility that entails.
    Pardew expresses remorse and apologises at every turn. When he pushed referee's assistant Kirkup at St James' Park in 2012, he said: "I hold my head in shame."
    Has it caused a mellowing of his confrontational approach to opposition managers and players? No.
    Sadly, history and his list of offences tells us he does not learn and seems unable to curb his behaviour. Newcastle have acted; now the FA must do likewise.
  • Options
    During his 23 months as manager, he was apparently very rude to a female member of staff working at Sparrows Lane resulting her being in tears.
  • Options
    was that a tea lady AddickFC81, a source told me that it was over a cup off tea or something? (That if that is the incident you were referring to?)
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

was that a tea lady AddickFC81, a source told me that it was over a cup off tea or something? (That if that is the incident you were referring to?)

I think that was the one
  • Options
    I was willing to overlook all these rumours as we were playing such beautiful and effective football at the time.
  • Options
    His ego couldn't take the push. That's the crux of it all.

His ego is related to his nose, much like the popular wooden boy, Pinnochio. They grow in tandem. Unlike Pinocchio, his nose never seems to return to its normal state.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    How many years left on his contract? 6?

Seriously though, unless the definition of headbutt has been changed, then bit of a storm in a teacup. I don't really want to the defend the geezer but he was standing in his technical area and some dickhead decides to push him with both hands pretty aggressively because he's losing a game of football (boohoo). Eden Hazard got less stick for attacking a child. Is there a better video out there, because in the two videos I've seen that is categorically not a headbutt, in the same way softly tapping another bloke with a closed fist isn't a punch, or catching someone with your toe isn't a kick. 10 years ago this wouldn't even have been news, now the prawn sandwich brigade calls for lifetime bans if a manager kicks a bottle. Both player and manager should get red cards and 3 match bans for being silly buggers but that's about it, move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Standing in your technical area shouldn't mean you can deliberately obstruct a player from retrieving the ball. Pardew could have moved out of the way and none of this malarkey would have happened.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    From the clip I saw, the ball rolled between his legs when he was standing still. He's not a ball boy, not his job to get the ball, and both player and manager will know that the extra 2 seconds it would have taken for the player to move the extra foot around Pardew to get the ball would be added onto the clock. Plenty of reasons to hate on Pardew but I think in this instance the player was definitely in the wrong. As soon as he laid his hands on Pardew, the ref should have shown him a red, end of. We'd be baying for blood if another team's player attacked our manager in his own technical area.

Seriously though, when I first saw 'Pardew headbutts player', I was expecting a decent hit. I've seen better in a pillow fight.
  • Options
    Cold end of a red hot poker up his arse. He'd burn his bloody hands getting it out.
  • Options
    An ex pro who had worked under some well respected managers and Pardew told me Pardew had the worst man management skills he had ever seen. On one occasion a long serving player was so disgusted at his arrogance that he walked out of the dressing room and took a 150 mile taxi ride home from an away ground after getting on the coach believing that he was playing and then told only when in the dressing room he wasn't.
  • Options
    Worst headbutt ever, he's tickled him with his face. It was very enjoyable to watch him squirm on the camera afterwards though, his eyes were screaming
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

From the clip I saw, the ball rolled between his legs when he was standing still. He's not a ball boy, not his job to get the ball, and both player and manager will know that the extra 2 seconds it would have taken for the player to move the extra foot around Pardew to get the ball would be added onto the clock. Plenty of reasons to hate on Pardew but I think in this instance the player was definitely in the wrong. As soon as he laid his hands on Pardew, the ref should have shown him a red, end of. We'd be baying for blood if another team's player attacked our manager in his own technical area.

Seriously though, when I first saw 'Pardew headbutts player', I was expecting a decent hit. I've seen better in a pillow fight.

Mr Pardew, could you please move out the the way sir, your stationary position is blocking my forward movement to retrieve the ball for my teams purposes of playing in this football match on a bright Saturday afternoon, if you could sidestep I would greatly appreciate the instruction and we can get back to our role playing of the football field ta ta.
  • Options
    He didn't offer much of an excuse but he did say "i shouldn't have been there". Correct me if i'm wrong here but he was in his technical area, he had every right to be there.
  • Options
    Maybe he means 'I shouldn't have been there' blocking the player from getting the ball.
  • Options

Pardew will get the book thrown at him and rightly so.
    I hope the same will apply to Charlie Adam.

…and thankfully Adam has been charged by the FA too…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26425905
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Fiiish said:

Mr Pardew, could you please move out the the way sir, your stationary position is blocking my forward movement to retrieve the ball for my teams purposes of playing in this football match on a bright Saturday afternoon, if you could sidestep I would greatly appreciate the instruction and we can get back to our role playing of the football field ta ta.
    Sorry, I momentarily mistook Mr Pardew for a reasonably sized human being who any fit lad with two working legs could easily sidestep without losing any time and not in fact the impassable cliff face 10 miles wide that he is.

I'll bear than in mind next time I need to get somewhere and someone is sort of in the most linear path but it is by no means blocking my way at all that it is perfectly acceptable to run into them and shove them several feet away with both hands, that is completely acceptable behaviour by any human being.