Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trouble in Ukraine

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    And you just know North Korea will do something deranged …….
  • Options
    How do these people like Putin become so powerful, by threatening and using violence.

He is mad and doesn’t give a shit, rules his country by fear and with a rod of iron.

Imagine a powerful mafia leader but with nuclear weapons.

Will turn out very bad for everyone and will only end when he is removed/ taken out.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Crazy thing is I could see someone like Putin being happy for the world to end with him. 

I think he views himself as some sort of mythical man, a historical figure, like many dictators before him. 

Many of these dictators have waged war against people, and only been stopped with force, this from my memory is the first one of those men who have had nuclear weapons. 

Imagine if Hitler had nuclear bombs, what would we have done when he went into Poland? What would he have done when the Russians were rolling into Germany?

Human civilisation has had many people who are evil as rulers, but now we live in a period where for the first time, one evil person could potentially push a button to end the whole world. 

A terrifying Pandora's box.

For all the things we might say about our leaders, the idea of someone like Putin having that power is genuinely terrifying. 

He's 70 now, and knows if he's going to go with some massive gamble (who knows how big that gamble is), he has to do it now. His legacy. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Crazy thing is I could see someone like Putin being happy for the world to end with him. 

I think he views himself as some sort of mythical man, a historical figure, like many dictators before him. 

Many of these dictators have waged war against people, and only been stopped with force, this from my memory is the first one of those men who have had nuclear weapons. 

Imagine if Hitler had nuclear bombs, what would we have done when he went into Poland? What would he have done when the Russians were rolling into Germany?

Human civilisation has had many people who are evil as rulers, but now we live in a period where for the first time, one evil person could potentially push a button to end the whole world. 

For all the things we might say about our leaders, the idea of someone like Putin having that power is genuinely terrifying. 

He's 70 now, and knows if he's going to go with some massive gamble (who knows how big that gamble is), he has to do it now. His legacy. 
    I think that’s plausible but I’d imagine that there would be a lot of his top people who wouldn’t be quite so keen to go up in smoke.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I think that’s plausible but I’d imagine that there would be a lot of his top people who wouldn’t be quite so keen to go up in smoke.
    Are there people who can stop him? I'm not saying there aren't, I have no idea what the structure is over there. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:

Are there people who can stop him? I'm not saying there aren't, I have no idea what the structure is over there. 
    There will be people high in the military who would have the wherewithal
  • Options
    I'm confused. We've got discussion of Roger Johnson's knees on the House of Commoners section...and this ridiculous culture wars rubbish on here.

My world is currently upside down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All seems fairly well behaved thus far. I'd leave it here.
  • Options
    All seems fairly well behaved thus far. I'd leave it here.
    Unlike the Roger Johnson thread, jeez it's all going off on there! 
  • Options
    It had been running on HOC for a while. Not sure why needs to be on here as well 
  • Options
    If reports are to be believed there might be a ceasefire and peace talks being arranged 🤞
  • Options
    If reports are to be believed there might be a ceasefire and peace talks being arranged 🤞
    That would be unbelievably brilliant. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That would be unbelievably brilliant. 
    Most likely because it’s not going according to plan for the Russians. They were hoping to have a bigger stronghold on them by now, but haven’t had as bigger military success as they were planning.
  • Options

Tonight is an important night you'd feel. Russia will give a big push to take the capital after being held back more than they expected. 

If they are not able to tonight, they will have heavy losses and have to think about a different strategy. 

Hopefully this doesn't end like Grozny did (i.e. Levelled to the ground because Russia couldn't take it). 
  • Options
    No mention of a ceasefire and peace talks on the BBC 10pm news, which has just finished.
  • Options
    No mention of a ceasefire and peace talks on the BBC 10pm news, which has just finished.
    Wouldn't be surprised if those whispers are Russian disinformation to discourage Ukrainian engagement over the coming 24-48 hours.
  • Options
    I see the BBC are saying China has abstained from the UNSC vote. It was said earlier that if this happened, it was a huge signal to Russia that China didn’t agree with their invasion 
  • Options

"Ukraine's president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, has given a speech in which he warns that Russia is paying "special attention" to Kyiv tonight, and forces will try to "storm" the capital.

He said: "This night will be harder than the day.

"Many cities of our state are under attack - Chernihiv, Sumy, Kharkiv, our girls, our boys in the Donbas, the cities of southern Ukraine. 

"Special attention is paid to Kyiv. You can't lose the capital… This night the enemy will use all its forces to break our resistance - vile, cruel and inhuman. Tonight they will storm it."

Mr Zelenskyy says he has spoken to the leaders of France, the Netherlands, Germany, the US, and the EU today, telling them what Ukraine expects from the West, and thanking them.

He goes on: "We have to persevere tonight. The fate of Ukraine is being decided right now. 

"Every civilian should be as careful as possible, please help each other, especially the elderly, those who are currently in great difficulty. 

"In case of any danger, go to the shelter. 

"Anyone who has already joined the defence of the country or can help the defence - stop the enemy wherever you can, close the special signs that saboteurs leave on the roads and buildings. 

"Burn enemy vehicles with everything you can. 

"If even kindergartens are an acceptable goal for the invaders, you should not leave them any chance. 

"All thoughts, all prayers of Ukrainians - with our military. 

"We believe in them, take care of them. Defend our state.

"The night will be hard, very hard. But it will be the morning!""

• Options
    Bullshit. Fake news from Putin to destabilise and terrorise 😢
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!