Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church's Miss

Comments

• Options

Has he played in any position other than up front? I have seen him on TV a few times this season and he does seem to have pace and runs around a lot. Wonder if he has chosen the wrong career path by becoming a striker. Can't imagine where we would be if we had any half decent Championship level strikers...

You're right, maybe he should have tried being a Gazelle.
    At least he might have been eaten by now ;-)

• Options
    ATM he's probably the fittest of all our strikers, hence the reason he is getting the most game time. Not a natural goalscorer, but I feel his work rate and ability open things up, could be utilised more effectively.
  • Options
    Church tried to place the ball and should have put his foot through it. However he created the chance for him self, non of the other strikers seem capable of doing that. 1st half we had movement thanks to him which helped our pattern of play after he went off it went from bad to worse. You all slam the bloke and tell us how great all the other strikers are and how they would be prolific if they played every week, well the fact is Rezaa, Sordell etc have had enough game time to stake a claim and haven't.

The reality is we need someone to lead the line and hold the ball up then one of our other strikers might do something playing off such a striker.

• Options
    If he's our best option up top, we're doomed I tell ya
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

If he's our best option up top, we're doomed I tell ya

You've just hit the nail on the head. If we stay up its by default of Yeovil & Millwall being crap, lets hope so.
  • Options
    He may have a sponge foot, but the mf are hardly providing him with bags of opportunity.
  • Options
    Yeah but that first one he tried to balloon it over the bar but missed and accidentally scored....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its a sad state of affairs when your strikers through on goal and you know whats coming next. Genuinley baffling as to how you can have been a pro player for so long with a shot like that and got by.
  • Options
    Bcaddick said:

Seen him on the tv twice from Canada...he is absolutely awful...I can't remember a worse Charlton striker.

It may be before your time but Barry Endean was far worse yet we used to chant his name every week.
  • Options
    Even FIFA knows about his sponge foot ...
  • Options
    La La La Barry Endean:)
  • Options
    Got this snap of Karel (the assistant coach) as he was getting out of his car yesterdayimage
  • Options

The fact is Sordell has never had a proper run. I would rather he was through one on one than Spongefoot any day (actually I would rather my nan, and she's been dead 5 years). I actually laughed when he took that shot it was that bad

No-one near me even got up out of our seats, it was so inevitable.

What did make me laugh though was 10 minutes later when he had a simple pass out to Green on the touchline he belted it at such a pace it went straight out. Remember thinking, you've got that the wrong way round fella.
  • Options
    He needs to have a look at Rodriguez's goal v Spurs this afternoon. That's how to do it!
  • Options
    Lots of Charlton goals to choose from, why did you go for goals for Reading & Wales;-)

I'll list them just in case you missed any.

The 2 in the league cup against Oxford at home. Barnsley away, Blackburn away, Doncaster at home, Huddersfield away and Sheff Wed away. I can't think of anymore, please correct me if I am wrong. So in total that's 7, 4 of which came in the cups. I'm not sure how many league games he's featured in, either starting or as sub, I'm sure it's at least 30. 3 in 30 is a disgrace.

Just waiting for some bright spark to say 'he's not there to score goals......'

Jog on please Church
  • Options

Whether he is poor, just not a striker, unlucky, out of form or taking backhanders from the opposition, to keep picking him as the lone or central striker prevents Obika or Sordell getting of the mark and building some form.

Sordell looked good in that spot against Huddersfield but was then dropped. At least when he missed his two chances they were struck with venom in the general vicinity of their goal. Obika is fresh with bags of confidence so give the fella a chance for God's sake.

If Church had to play yesterday, why not in the wider position allowing Obika or Sordell to be central??

My worry is that persisting with Church is stopping the other strikers who we know can score from getting going.
  • Options
    His confidence must be in the red zone and as every game he doesn't score, it deepens.

It's no excuse though, he should be dropped.

For the running about, it doesn't really amount to anything. To be a good striker it requires you to be right place right time, and when that opportunity arises, you, more often then not put it in the back of the net.

It's not easy to be a Charlton forward though. Minimal service, lack of confidence that th will get any. I guess maybe Church altered his game to just run about as that's all he can do within reason!

He scored a lovely strikers goal away at Blackburn earlier in the season. Proven to be a one off though. He's not good enough, but then again, we are severely struggling, so most of our players can't be good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can only hope that the mgt thought that game was a zero pointer and with games to come thick and fast put the squad duds out on the pitch...

Please please PERLEASE let that be true!!!
  • Options
    How many times have we seen him try to place the ball and the keeper saves it, just hit the ball with all your strength and it might go in off the keeper.
  • Options
    Church should never start a game for us again, total liability.
  • Options
    I have to admit his finishing is awful. I will also consider agreeing that he's worse than Mooney.
  • Options
    valleyfan said:

Church should never start a game for us again, total liability.

Liabilitys a bit harsh he can't help it he's tottaly shit

• Options
    Simon church. Slight hamstring pull. Expect him to be out tonight.
  • Options

I have to admit his finishing is awful. I will also consider agreeing that he's worse than Mooney.

he's not quite in Mooney's league....yet
  • Options
    I used to like him for his energy but over the past couple of months he has just got worse and worse.

He doesn't seem to have any quality about him whatsoever. What exactly is it you can use him for? He doesn't have pace, is physically weak, loses the ball all the time, can't finish. He's useless at just about everything. All he does is make up the numbers for the teamsheet.

Still wish we had kept Danny Haynes. Though he would get injured a lot at least you knew how to use him for when he was fit.
  • Options

he's not quite in Mooney's league....yet
    Do you really think so?
    Would you honestly select Church ahead of Mooney if they were both at the club?
  • Options
    yes - although not sure I could bear to watch if they were both at our club!!!!