Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Ath|25 March 2014|Championship|Preview, Views, News and Line Ups

The Introduction

It is too early to say the honeymoon is over. Love is still in the air and the relationship is still fresh, exciting and full of potential. He could be a keeper but tasting defeat for the first time could be akin to slowly discovering some of his irritating habits, like leaving the toilet seat up or farting in bed.

The Opposition

To misquote Dickens this could be the best of times or worst of times to be facing Nottingham (never Notts) Forest.

A 5 - 0 spanking from rivals Derby will leave them red raw and looking to take out their frustration on their next opponents. They haven't won in eight league and cup games and like us they were knocked out of the FA Cup by Sheffield Utd. Draws with Doncaster and Middlesborough and a defeat by Barnsley don't suggest a play-off side and the tricky trees have now slipped outside the top six.

With quarterback Andy Reid injured and manager Billy Davies yet again in trouble with the FA could the man who so nearly took over at the Valley miss out again? His managerial record of nearly getting teams promoted is remarkable.

But Davies and Forest will see a home game v struggling Charlton as just the tonic they need to get back to winning ways.

Former Addick Greg Halford could make his first return since getting Yann Kermorgant sent off by carelessly getting in the way of the Breton's swinging boot. But our former full back has been transformed into a centre forward since then and could well start in an attempt to change the fortunes of the goal shy Reds.

The Line Up

Having seen his charges lose at the fourth time of asking Jose Riga maybe tempted to tinker. Having preferred 4 - 2- 3- 1 in his early games he went 4-4-2 against Burnley but with no appreciable improvement in the goal threat.

Riga has said that the "sexy" loan players have already been snapped up and while not ruling out further loans he stated post match "The solution (to the lack of goals) is not outside the squad - they are inside the squad". He also said in his post match press conference that he might need to go more direct. Ho hum. What is the Flemish for "hoofball"?

Preview Towers has a feeling that Jose will go for it by pushing Wilson forward and slotting Nego in at right back. The early substitutions of Green and Church suggest that they will be "given a rest" to allow for a 4 - 3- 3 or 4 -2-3-1 along the lines of

Hamer

Nego Morrison Dervite Wiggins

Poyet Cousins

Wilson Jackson Reza

Obika

The Prediction

Charlton get a valuable away win. An early goal and we hang on for 82 minutes before a very late second wraps it up 2 - 0

Comments

• Options
    Forest are there for the taking.

This is probably Riga's chance to show he is different to SCP tactically. Under Powell we would go to try and keep it tight and see if we could nick anything in a smash and grab Reid

They are punch drunk after Ssturday's hammering so positive approach would be the one with the best chance of paying dividends
  • Options
    There would be a peculiar irony if we were to beat them and Davies got the heave-ho as a result.
  • Options
    As usual we'll be the perfect team to kick start someone's season
    Forest 3-1 but at least our substitutions were attacking and early
  • Options
    Would like to think that we can win there but can only see another convincing defeat 0.3. Hope to be proved wrong!
  • Options
    Really hoping to see us just go for it, they will be feeling like their season has hit rock bottom but we can show them it has not when relegation candidates Charlton leave with all 3 points.

2 - 0 win for the Mighty Addicks ;-) with the goals coming from Cousins & Wilson(playing RM please)
  • Options
    We can get something from this one I think.

1-1

Paterson
    Sordell
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    15 points between now and the end of the season will likely see us safe I'd suggest. Six away games: Forest, Derby, Leeds, Brighton, Wednesday, Blackpool. Six points from those are needed; two wins or a win and 3 draws, or six draws.

Forest, with the form they are in, are as good an opportunity as any to pick up at least one point towards my imaginary quota of six.

Still optimistic that we can do it. 1-1
    Daggs said:

There would be a peculiar irony if we were to beat them and Davies got the heave-ho as a result.

And Powell is appointed at Forest.

• Options
    Nice preview...a point keeps us on track and three points is something to dream about. 4-5-1 with no Church nor Green is the way forwards. Poyet, Cousins and Jackson/ Ajdarevic as a central three should be able to compete and perhaps even create ~ or is that asking too much.
    I don't believe we are a bottom three side - fortunately the bottom three are finding it just as hard as us to find a win.
  • Options
    'akin to slowly discovering some of his irritating habits, like leaving the toilet seat up or farting in bed.'

or leaving things in places where they shouldn't be like Church and Green in the 1st XI
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of you lot have been on the sauce

2-0 Forest as we get the payback from them getting spanked by their rivals

I'd go with Henry's line up but swap AA for Reza
  • Options
    The table shows that our defence is on a par with most middle of the table teams .. our attack of course has been what you would expect from a bunch of cheapos and loanees, willing but inadequate .. what worries me most is a point made by a poster in the Burnley afterthought posts .. 'after we went one down, heads dropped and we were deflated' (I paraphrase slightly) .. this happened at Doncaster and we were flattened after going a man down (Wilson was sent off) and it just must not happen again .. in the games (mostly north and midlands) I have seen this year we only 'surrendered' at Doncaster .. Riga must keep morale high and the players must believe that they can escape the trap door to the 1st division. I just hope the team's stuffing didn't walk out the door along with Powell.
    I'll be there and expect us to get a point from a Forest side which I suspect is just not playing for their manager who is picking some strange looking teams. I hope that this is the case.

My team: Hamer .. Morrison Wood Dervite Wiggins .. Wilson Cousins Poyet Jackson ) .. Obika Sordell ..

Nottingham Forest 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    2-0 loss
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I think we have to start thinking about rotating some players now. Some looked really tired yesterday.

Hamer no need to rotate here . I think Thuram is a reasonable keeper but perhaps not suited for the Championship
    Wilson ,I'd like to see either Nego or a loanee come in for the run in.it has been reported that Luke Young's £30k a week wages have blocked any loans away from QPR .Could he be an option now it would only be for a couple of months?Wilson could then move to RM.
    Wiggins.I notice Fox was on the bench again, Rhoys has been inconsistent since returning.
    Jackson. Astrit is also a left footer ,could AA and JJ rotate? Harriott is a left footed option also
    Morrison and Dervite , we have Wood and hopefully Cort as well as Lennon.
    Green See above re Wilson. A loan here would be welcome if we didn't go for a RB. The left footed Harriott could play if Pritchard came in.
    Poyet and Cousins.Play as much as possible.Maybe the bench needs to feature the likes of Gower ,Hollands and Hughes occasionally to facilitate an early substitution or get an experienced CM on loan.
    Church . Sordell and Tudgay provide alternatives as well as Reza . Marvin needs to start Tuesday against Forest.
    Obika. should be fresh for the run in, but an experienced target man would be useful.
  • Options
    JR was taking a long look at Wiggins who looked absolutely shattered and was crouching at the end of yesterdays game.
    Would not be surprised to see Fox or Lennon starting on Tuesday in place of Wiggins.
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Back to form with a boring 0-0 draw with the mighty spongefoot yet again mystifyingly getting picked ahead of the tea lady.

ps we could hardly get any worse up front. Please please start Polish Pete and Marvin up front. Or Tudgay is he looks bothered. There's a slight breeze forecast in Nottingham which will certainly blow Reza over, and Spongey is due a 2 season rest before his contract expires.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Edit screw up
  • Options
    If we score first, we might just pull off a win/draw - concede first and who knows! A long few weeks ahead.
  • Options
    I know, lets put Poyet in the middle and then put all the other names in a hat, and pull out 10 names. Whoever it is, cannot play any worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As mentioned above ideal opportunity to kick start their season for them. We won't score 2-0 to Forest.
  • Options
    1-0 Forest late goal. They are on a terrible run but we are just terrible.
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    I assume Tudgay won't be eligible for this game????
  • Options

What's happened to Tudgay? Does Riga just not fancy him?
  • Options
    Billy Davies about to get the sack and replaced by Warnock if rumours are true
  • Options
    4-1 forest.
  • Options
    I'd like to see the team of:-

Hamer
    Nego Morrison Dervite Wiggins
    Wilson Poyet AA Jackson
    Obika Reza

Subs - Thuram, Wood, Sordell, Cousins, Harriott, Fox, PP

AA needs to play as he creates things. 2 strikers up front please. Obika and Reza i think can form a good partnership if given a run as they have the right style about each other to click. Nego because i would like to see Wilson play RM again because he has so much more to his game than Green. Wilson is a good RM, gets crosses in and will also track back. Jackson is slow but he and Wiggins had a good understand before with Wiggins overlapping and getting forward. Plus Jackson is a goal threat. Poyet is a good and composed DM and breaks things up. I'd have PP on the bench (why not?).

We need to show creativity and look to attack rather than be too defensive. I think the above team gives balance. Cousins is only dropped to the bench because I had to pick one of the 2 to start and Poyet just has the edge for me.

• Options
    Id like to see

Hamer
    Nego Dervite Morrison Wiggins
    WIlson JC DP AA
    Obika Sordell

but were really choosing chuff from chuff
  • Options

What's happened to Tudgay? Does Riga just not fancy him?
    was on the bench last Tuesday but missed out on Saturday.