Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    Rizzo said:
    Yeah, good old signalling problems at Lewisham. Ah I've missed you!

I'm taking the week off at half-term when the Bexleyheath line is closed. I just couldn't face a week of utter carnage getting to and from work. Going away to York with the family instead!
    1905 said:
    Rizzo said:

I'm taking the week off at half-term when the Bexleyheath line is closed. I just couldn't face a week of utter carnage getting to and from work. Going away to York with the family instead!
    Couldn't face it either, the journey is painful enough as it is  - I am off to France for a week.  

I thought people that lived on the Bexleyheath line had their holidays in a caravan in Clacton or Jaywick?

• Options
    Rizzo said:

1905 said:
    Rizzo said:

Couldn't face it either, the journey is painful enough as it is  - I am off to France for a week.  

I thought people that lived on the Bexleyheath line had their holidays in a caravan in Clacton or Jaywick?

Well I have earnt a bit more recently cleaning the houses of those living on the Woolwich line.
  • Options
    So, when the trains aren't running down the Eltham line for over a week in February - are they putting more trains on the Sidcup line or will the best idea be to get a train the opposite way down the track in order to get on at the start to have some kind of hope of getting one? I live on the Sidcup/New Eltham borders and often go to Eltham/Falconwood instead of New Eltham/Sidcup depending on the time - could vary from 6am to 7.20am when I get a train but think I need to come up with some kind of plan as i'm fearing carnage. 
    i'm working in Farringdon at the moment so will be getting the Thameslink from Abbeywood.

does anyone use it and know how busy it gets around 7:30?
  • Options
    How come Southeastern don't lose their franchise but keep getting extensions? 
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Little brown envelopes.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    So I resurrected this thread early this morning and what do you know? Sidcup line fucked from half 8 and I’m still nowhere near work.

That’ll learn me.
    The thread giveth, the thread taketh away. I did something very similar a few months ago and was the next day greeted by an hour and a half delay on a train I was already on.
  • Options
    Just think, we havent even had any snow yet this winter :)
  • Options
    I've generally bypassed most problems by walking from my home in Lee to Lewisham. This walk takes just over half an hour, which I would estimate is the same amount of time (on average, allowing for delays and cancellations) it takes for my train to travel between Lee and Lewisham in the mornings. Plus it's healthier.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

South West Trains were replaced by South Western Railway who promised the earth but basically didn't have a clue what they were getting involved with. Will probably be taken into government control like Northern.

Be careful what you wish for! The next lot will be just the same but with no knowledge of the reality of running a railway.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TeslaGirl said:
    Would it be too much to suggest that, instead of HS2, all signalling, across the entire country (starting with Lewisham) should be replaced?  There will still be spares in the coffers, so follow that with just making the stations a bit nicer?  That way, everyone will get a better train service, rather than the small number of people who will get slightly faster trains, probably at hugely inflated prices.
    Just a few "good" things about HS2 .

1) The full cost is spread over 20 - 25 years and although there will not be a "profit", the investors will get some of the money back.

2) The proposed alternative involves upgrading and maintaining the existing lines into London and has been costed at about 50bn pounds over the next 20-25 years. 

3) HS2 will eventually replace nearly all express trains on the West Coast , Midland Main Line and East Coast Lines into London.  Eighteen trains per hour. Trains on HS2 will be able to carry over 1000 passengers in wide double decked carriages.

4) HS2 will be a "modern" railway with no signals and very few junctions making it reliable and not needing engineering works at weekends. Maintenance can usually be achieved in five or six hours overnight.

5) HS2 frees the lines it replaces to be used by commuter and local trains.

6) No mentions of speed allowed - it would still be worthwhile even if the trains ran at 100mph!
  • Options
    Even if HS2 sticks to its proposed timetable - and looking at the Crossrail experience, that is a gigantic IF -it will not connect Birmingham to Manchester and Birmingham to Leeds until 2035. 

A high speed connection (Northern Powerhouse Rail / HS3) between Liverpool, Manchester & Leeds is also projected to be completed in the 2030s - but currently not even the route has been settled as far as I can see!

As far as current passengers on Northern Rail and the laughably named TransPennine Express are concerned, they want and need something done yesterday!  Clearly that is impossible, but waiting 5 years is too long, never mind 15 just to provide Boris with another vanity project.  HS2 & HS3 may eventually prove invaluable in the 2050s, but they are an irrelevance in the 2020s.  "Jam Tomorrow" is no longer an acceptable response - the existing 19th century infrastructure urgently needs bringing into the 21st century.

Andy Burnham (Mayor of Greater Manchester) is calling for devolution of money for public transport so the area can have a northern equivalent of TfL and integrate the bus, train & tram services.  I can see this becoming a major discussion point in this year's mayoral elections.  
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:
    Would it be too much to suggest that, instead of HS2, all signalling, across the entire country (starting with Lewisham) should be replaced?  There will still be spares in the coffers, so follow that with just making the stations a bit nicer?  That way, everyone will get a better train service, rather than the small number of people who will get slightly faster trains, probably at hugely inflated prices.
    This is what should have been done instead of pushing ahead with Crossrail, along with new carriages to replace decrepit Southeastern stock that is constantly breaking down. Fix what you have first! 
  • Options
    Delays again tonight due to a power issue.
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    TeslaGirl said:
    This is what should have been done instead of pushing ahead with Crossrail, along with new carriages to replace decrepit Southeastern stock that is constantly breaking down. Fix what you have first! 
    Someone once told me that 'signal failure' just means a driver has not shown up for work. Because they're unionized, they just do what they want. When signals actually fail, bad things happen. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Wilma said:
    TeslaGirl said:
    Someone once told me that 'signal failure' just means a driver has not shown up for work. Because they're unionized, they just do what they want. When signals actually fail, bad things happen. 
    I'm not sure I totally believe that but could accept it happens on occasion. I do know that Thameslink cancellations due to "an operational incident" means that the driver hasn't turned up. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    TeslaGirl said:

It's the old problem!

Do you keep repairing your twenty year old car or do you get a new one!
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:
    Digital signalling can alow up to 3x more trains on a line.
  • Options
    So, when the trains aren't running down the Eltham line for over a week in February - are they putting more trains on the Sidcup line or will the best idea be to get a train the opposite way down the track in order to get on at the start to have some kind of hope of getting one? I live on the Sidcup/New Eltham borders and often go to Eltham/Falconwood instead of New Eltham/Sidcup depending on the time - could vary from 6am to 7.20am when I get a train but think I need to come up with some kind of plan as i'm fearing carnage. 
    i'm working in Farringdon at the moment so will be getting the Thameslink from Abbeywood.

@c@cafcdave123 I get on at Higham to City Thameslink, and get to AbbeyWood around 7.20. There is generally seats available at AbbeyWood, unless there have been any delays.
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:

@c@cafcdave123 I get on at Higham to City Thameslink, and get to AbbeyWood around 7.20. There is generally seats available at AbbeyWood, unless there have been any delays.
    thank you @c@cafcbrown i will get that one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilma said:
    Chunes said:
    Wilma said:
    TeslaGirl said:
    I'm not sure I totally believe that but could accept it happens on occasion. I do know that Thameslink cancellations due to "an operational incident" means that the driver hasn't turned up. 
    So they are under staffed then.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I have said it before, in the old public owned BR days, each depot would have several drivers booked on each shift as “spare” meaning they were not planned a route etc. They would just sit around waiting for staff to go sick or not show up. They would then cover their turn or even just a single trip etc.
    When it all went private, in the quest to save money, these were slowly done away with because no boss or money man would want to pay staff to sit around and drink tea, watch tv or wash their cars etc.
    So, now there isn’t anyone to cover the shortfall or sickness which is why this happens time and time again.
  • Options
    TeslaGirl said:
    Absolutely impossible to get 3x more trains through Lewisham. You can use some sort of digital signalling on lines with hardly any junctions (like the Jubilee Line or HS2) to improve capacity but there's not much point when trains are constantly crossing each others paths and stopping randomly at stations.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    TeslaGirl said:
    Absolutely impossible to get 3x more trains through Lewisham. You can use some sort of digital signalling on lines with hardly any junctions (like the Jubilee Line or HS2) to improve capacity but there's not much point when trains are constantly crossing each others paths and stopping randomly at stations.
    Fair point. I did say can and up to. 

I know on the East Coast Mainline digital signalling will enable at least 3x more trains.

Certainly the medway line would benefit from this.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Lewisham is and always will be the problem with the SE train network. I guess it just kind of happened over time but funnelling absolutely every train through one small area is utter madness and will only ever result in bottlenecks and serious disruption. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Driver has just come on to say we are “running on restrictive aspects” this morning, which is nice. 

No idea what it means though.

I think it’s probably official speak for “the trains are shit”.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Driver has just come on to say we are “running on restrictive aspects” this morning, which is nice. 

No idea what it means though.

I think it’s probably official speak for “the trains are shit”.
    I heard that one too. Sidcup line to Charing Cross?
  • Options
    I think it means a speed restriction - work is required by Notwork Rail but they haven't bothered yet! There is one outside of Dartford that's been in place since December and that they might fix in March.