Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    Most countries in europe have double decker trains and it works fine, why not here?
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Most countries in europe have double decker trains and it works fine, why not here?
    I think the original design model was flawed in the old 1950's/60's slam door trains.
    Might be time to revisit for the modern age  :)
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Next time your at a station with a tunnel o bridge near by, look at how much actual clearance there is. 
    Almost every tunnel, bridge, overhead signal gantry would either have to be raised or track bed lowered.
    The system we use isn’t built for double deckers
  • Options
    My dad was commuting in the days when BR Southern Region was experimenting with double-decker commuter trains.
    The idea was to help reduce overcrowding, but I believe they were eventually binned because it turned into a time-consuming free for all when people were trying to get on and off at busy stations.
    I remember seeing them as a boy, but never got to travel on one.

They had these in Vienna a few years back, when I went. 
    Double decker trains are used all over the world - for commuter trains and for most high speed trains.

We cannot have them in this country because the height and more importantly the width of our trains is much smaller than on most other systems. You simply cannot build wide stairs and stair wells into our tiny trains.

HS2 will be to normal standards and permit trains carrying well over 1000 passengers. New double decker high speed trains in Europe specifically built for low-cost operators have five or even six seats in a row (like an aircraft cabin). They can have over 1250 seats in a single train.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafckev said:
    SamB09 said:
    Next time your at a station with a tunnel o bridge near by, look at how much actual clearance there is. 
    Almost every tunnel, bridge, overhead signal gantry would either have to be raised or track bed lowered.
    The width is the real problem. For double deck you need wider trains so the track bed would have to be widened everywhere on the line - including stations. It's just impossible.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafckev said:
    SamB09 said:
    The width is the real problem. For double deck you need wider trains so the track bed would have to be widened everywhere on the line - including stations. It's just impossible.
    Yeah yeah......there's always one excuse or another to stop progress 😄
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cafckev said:
    SamB09 said:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Not southeastern anymore from last Sunday
    And as it's a track fault, not their responsibility anyway. The track is maintained by Network Rail
  • Options
    My dad was commuting in the days when BR Southern Region was experimenting with double-decker commuter trains.
    The idea was to help reduce overcrowding, but I believe they were eventually binned because it turned into a time-consuming free for all when people were trying to get on and off at busy stations.
    I remember seeing them as a boy, but never got to travel on one.

Travelled on these a few times from Eltham Well Hall. They had a 'ladies only compartment' in one carriage.  (No euphemism there!)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have travelled on the double decker TGV from Paris to Cannes a few times - superb trains - comfortable and so fast - the French had their railways badly beaten up in WW2, as did we, but post war they decided to completely rethink their long distance rail system, ditch steam as quick as possible, modernise - we errrrr didn’t go that way
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    I have travelled on the double decker TGV from Paris to Cannes a few times - superb trains - comfortable and so fast - the French had their railways badly beaten up in WW2, as did we, but post war they decided to completely rethink their long distance rail system, ditch steam as quick as possible, modernise - we errrrr didn’t go that way
    Also as we found out when building the High Speed lines to Paris, the French towns and villages were almost falling over themselves to get it running near them and having a station. We in the UK on the other hand did everything we could to block it and not get it built at all!
    To be fair HS2 will run through the Chilterns (mostly in tunnels) without stopping. There's not really anywhere to top anyway!

That's the way high speed lines tend to work - trains have to leave the line before you they can slow down or stop - like a motorway.

I don't think there will be a problem in the long term but there is certainly a lot of disruption at the moment while the tunnels are begin dug which the locals will never see a benefit from.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Not southeastern anymore from last Sunday
    And as it's a track fault, not their responsibility anyway. The track is maintained by Network Rail
    Still trading under the prestigious SouthEastern brand name, just different ownership, same as us from Roland to Sandgaard. So those ever popular half and half SouthEastern / Southern Rail nooses are still current and on trend.

Also, Network Rail and SouthEastern now both owned by the government, which means that parcels of dog shit, old toe nail clippings etc can all be sent to Grant Shapps.
  • Options
    Trains are fucked everywhere this morning due to a flood at Grove Park apparently 

not a lot up the Bexleyheath line 
  • Options
    Had to go to Sidcup to get the train in this morning.

Could have been worse I guess, could have had to get the Bexleyheath line  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trains are fucked everywhere this morning due to a flood at Grove Park apparently 

not a lot up the Bexleyheath line 
    To be fair there was a shed load of rain last night. Started around 8pm & still going when I went to bed at 1am. Lashing it down at times.
  • Options
    Looking forward to getting the shitshow express In tomorrow. On Tuesday I had to go to Bromley south as Charing x trains were was fcuked. I wonder what adventure awaits me in the morning 🤔
  • Options
    It's like a magical mystery tour.
  • Options
    Had to get a cab to Sidcup to get the train in this morning.

Still "urgent repair works" at Grove Park
  • Options
    Petts woods turn to have the broken rail. Was 15 minutes late but I take that as a win!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Stick Nigel in charge, he will soon persuade people that the trains ain't late but all the clocks fast, and in any case you are better off walking it!
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Stick Nigel in charge, he will soon persuade people that the trains ain't late but all the clocks fast.
    No - he will just encourage everyone to walk