Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    Stick Nigel in charge, he will soon persuade people that the trains ain't late but all the clocks fast.
    Well, there were a lot of positives this morning. When the train left the depot it was on time and we looked like we had a good service on. It was against the run of play that the tracks just stopped working and then our shoulders dropped and we panicked. 
    We looked really good in planning yesterday, we had the whole timetable worked out, but we just couldn't bring that onto the service this morning.
    We'll evaluate and keep working to make sure we have a service that actually brings people into work.
    The first 20 minutes of the journey were great, pity the whole trip was 90+ minutes.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Are there less trains going to Charing Cross these days from London bridge etc. I generally have to swap over from London Bridge to go to Waterloo East. Before London Bridge was overhauled you generally only had to wait a couple of minutes for one. Now its 8,9,10 minutes before one comes along. No quick platform change over now either.
  • Options
    It seems to me that they can now potentially run far more trains between London Bridge and Charing Cross. Indeed during the rush hour there is a train every two or three minutes.

But this means that if two or three trains happen to arrive (maybe a few minutes late) at London Bridge all at the same time, they can pass through very quickly rather than being forced to spread over eight or ten minutes. The result is that you get "bunching" of trains.

I notice this most evenings around 7:30 when there is theoretically a reasonable service but in practice you often get three trains in quick succession followed by another three trains appearing ten minutes later.

Interchange at London Bridge was never designed  properly but I don't think that they were helped by surveys that suggested commuters wanted trains to be criss-crossing each other so they didn't have to change anyway.
  • Options
    So it transpires that there was a bloke on Charlton station roof,hence the need to turn off the track power. Taken to hospital for 'assessment '. 
    If the power is switched off it is serious, normally people on the line. One person a day takes their life on the railways. There are people on this thread that should employ their one brain cell before using it as a rant about the Government. I also think that the one thing that Boris could do successfully would be to organise a piss up!
  • Options
    It seems to me that they can now potentially run far more trains between London Bridge and Charing Cross. Indeed during the rush hour there is a train every two or three minutes.

But this means that if two or three trains happen to arrive (maybe a few minutes late) at London Bridge all at the same time, they can pass through very quickly rather than being forced to spread over eight or ten minutes. The result is that you get "bunching" of trains.

I notice this most evenings around 7:30 when there is theoretically a reasonable service but in practice you often get three trains in quick succession followed by another three trains appearing ten minutes later.

Interchange at London Bridge was never designed  properly but I don't think that they were helped by surveys that suggested commuters wanted trains to be criss-crossing each other so they didn't have to change anyway.
    Trains no longer criss cross at London Bridge. There are two tracks above Borough Market for Charing Cross trains and two for Thameslink. This does restrict the number of Charing Cross trains but there are two platforms at London Bridge heading in that direction if needed. The lines in and out of London Bridge are segregated near the waste incinerator with flyunders to avoid the delays that happened in the past. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I spotted this a few minutes ago and shook my head and smiled.
    It certainly took away the Monday morning blues!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I spotted this a few minutes ago and shook my head and smiled.
    It certainly took away the Monday morning blues!
    It's true though. Leaf mulch seems to have contributed to the crash at Salisbury last week, with a train failing to stop
  • Options
    My understanding is that it's not so much 'leaves on the line' which causes the problem, but what the leaves secrete as we get to Autumn time.  It's the fluid from the leaves which are about to fall which get on the track causing wheel slippage.   The solution they appear to have been trying is to cut down as much of the overhanging vegetation which causes this problem.
  • Options
    My understanding is that it's not so much 'leaves on the line' which causes the problem, but what the leaves secrete as we get to Autumn time.  It's the fluid from the leaves which are about to fall which get on the track causing wheel slippage.   The solution they appear to have been trying is to cut down as much of the overhanging vegetation which causes this problem.
     The trouble is that railway companies nolonger keep track side vegetation in check which means more over hanging branches and more saplings also shedding leaves close to the tracks.
    But that's bollocks, they closed the Greenwich line for a couple of weekends in a row recently to chop down a load of vegetation, and I should know as their chainsaws kept me from being able to open any windows
  • Options
    My favourite was when they cancelled all trains before something like 9am the next day in expectation of windy weather and obstructions on the lines. Not because of actual windy weather and obstructions, but because they thought there might be some.  Genius.
  • Options
    Slippery rails. 
  • Options
    Thanks for that….
  • Options
    Slippery rails. 
    Too much info  :D
  • Options
    Thanks for that….
    sorry, it was the excuse for train delays this morning. 
  • Options
    14:33 from Barnehurst.

Left at 14:32 and 42 seconds.

Tried to style it out after pushing the door open button 45 times, hope no-one noticed.

Tossers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any seasoned traveller would know that it takes a minimum of 46 pushes on the button for the door to open!
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    14:33 from Barnehurst.

Left at 14:32 and 42 seconds.

Tried to style it out after pushing the door open button 45 times, hope no-one noticed.

Tossers.

Forget it, it was only 18 secs early.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Any seasoned traveller would know that it takes a minimum of 46 pushes on the button for the door to open!
    I have that beat. Last week, standing on the platform. I was  reading some nonsense on my phone my train came in. I looked up not realising it my train but it was too late it was moving out. My first thought was that’s a long train pulling in, my second thought was bollocks that’s my train leaving without me. My third thought was, style it out and pretend I’m going to Cannon Street today. 
  • Options
    Any seasoned traveller Charlton fan would know that it takes a minimum of 46 pushes on the button for the door to open!

• Options
    To be fair, Macronate is ok on slam door trains.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Saw this at bexleyheath this morning, useless c***s

• Options
    Slippery rails. 
    Good name for a band
  • Options
    Not that anybody on this forum will be bothered by this ;-)

Penalty Fares set to rise to £100

Penalty Fares are to be increased from £20 to £100 following a consultation by the Department of Transport in Spring 2021. This will be the first increased since 2004 when the PF was raised from £10 to £20. If paid within 21 days, the rate will be reduced to £50. At present , PF regulations allow train operations that have a PF scheme to charged passengers found not to have a valid ticket (and who had the opportunity to buy one before boarding the train or during their journey ) a PF of either £20 or twice the full single fare to the next station where the train is due to call, whichever is the greater. PF's may only be levied if the passenger also passed signed stating the consequences of travelling without a ticket. The DfT considers that the existing rate of £20 is no longer an effective deterrent to fare evasion, with £20 at 2005 prices now being worth only £14 in real terms. To implement this change , the DfT says it will provide an update in Spring 2022 on when the new PF rate will be introduced. The change only applies to PF regulations covering England and Wales, as the Railwlays Act 2005 devolved regulation PF in Scotland to Scottish ministers( and Scotrail does not currently operation a PF scheme).

Source: Today's Railways (Jan2022)

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    So, if I fail to pay the £3.80 for a single ticket from St Johns to London Bridge, I can be fined £100 (reduced to £50 if I pay promptly).

However, if my South Eastern semi-mobile misery crate turns up an hour late, severely inconveniencing me in the process, I can claim £3.80. If it turns up 55 minutes late, I can claim back £1.90.

If it turns up 10 minutes late, and it's filthy, overcrowded and the toilets are out of order -  as is the norm - I can't claim anything.

Thieving c*%ts.

They ain't that good!