Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell on Talksport

Comments

• Options
    "Just one or two more"... gutting.
  • Options

Agree but we would have felt a hell of a lot sadder had we been rooted to the bottom of the table.

I am actually happy he left when he did so he didn't have to be lumped with a relegation on his CV. He has come out of it ok, and we boosted our chances of staying up. Everyone's happy

Who's to say we wouldn't have stayed up?
    I think if he'd stayed in charge after Sheff Utd that we'd be dead and buried by now
  • Options
    Powell said that RD bought in players he didn't consider good enough and has been proved right with JR not playing them either
  • Options

nice to hear straight from the man that the sum total of net investment on players by the Mysterons was sweet F,A,, even in league 1

Not exactly, as the club made large losses throughout their ownership, and someone had to cover them...

Powell said that RD bought in players he didn't consider good enough and has been proved right with JR not playing them either

Riga was in the happy position of not having to worry about his position as he's probably only a short term appointment anyway.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

nice to hear straight from the man that the sum total of net investment on players by the Mysterons was sweet F,A,, even in league 1

Not exactly, as the club made large losses throughout their ownership, and someone had to cover them...

Riga was in the happy position of not having to worry about his position as he's probably only a short term appointment anyway.
    did i not say "total net investment on players" though? i understand we are a loss making entity on an overall P&L basis, but i guess my focus on this point is that MS repeatedly mislead the fans on the level of investment them cowboys were making. thats my point
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oh yeah, he certainly proved them right at Sheffield (Utd).
  • Options

did i not say "total net investment on players" though? i understand we are a loss making entity on an overall P&L basis, but i guess my focus on this point is that MS repeatedly mislead the fans on the level of investment them cowboys were making. thats my point
    I never was and never will be a fan of Jimenez & Slater.

However, Slater always claimed that the team rebuild was made solely from the funds from the sale of Jenkinson.

Infact, I never actually believed him, but that's what he claimed.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited April 2014
    markmc68 said:

Jose riga's red and white army.

Till the end of the season, right? Be time to "move on" again.
  • Options
    Karel to follow ?
  • Options
    Someone along the lines, old numpties : New numpty? "No Comment".
  • Options

I think the bloke is a class act. Not many people like him in the game. Totally captavates what a decent person is all about. Hope to see him back at Charlton one day.

Hear hear.

• Options

He said he would reply to all fans letters! Get writing people... i might ask him who would win a fight between a polar bear and a grizzly bear

What's the address I can write to him?

I think the bloke is a class act. Not many people like him in the game. Totally captavates what a decent person is all about. Hope to see him back at Charlton one day.
    I would be interested in writing for Powell too, if anyone knows
  • Options

However, Slater always claimed that the team rebuild was made solely from the funds from the sale of Jenkinson.

my impression from his quoted statements in local press summer 2011 was that they had made a net investment in the playing side. it was only later that it became more widely apparent that it was largely counter-balanced by Jenkinson deal. that was my impression though and understandable that you arrived at a different one. he certainly was a pretty cute operator in terms of public statements, the snakey lawyer silver tounged weasel so-and-so :)

guess we know now though, as SCP is one sauce i certainly trust.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nice man.
  • Options

my impression from his quoted statements in local press summer 2011 was that they had made a net investment in the playing side. it was only later that it became more widely apparent that it was largely counter-balanced by Jenkinson deal. that was my impression though and understandable that you arrived at a different one. he certainly was a pretty cute operator in terms of public statements, the snakey lawyer silver tounged weasel so-and-so :)

guess we know now though, as SCP is one sauce i certainly trust.
    I attended meetings held by Powell, Murray, Slater and maybe more and they all stated that the squad rebuild was funded from the sale of Jenkinson.
  • Options
    Just heard it on the Talksport website. What a man!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

He said he would reply to all fans letters! Get writing people... i might ask him who would win a fight between a polar bear and a grizzly bear

good question, Polar bear I reckon

I am certain that a Polar Bear is the only living mammal that would win a bare knuckle fight with another mammal, so yes from me even though Rhinos are pretty hard too.
  • Options

Agree but we would have felt a hell of a lot sadder had we been rooted to the bottom of the table.

I am actually happy he left when he did so he didn't have to be lumped with a relegation on his CV. He has come out of it ok, and we boosted our chances of staying up. Everyone's happy

Can I ask where you bought your Crystal Ball from?
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

Can I ask where you bought your Crystal Ball from?
    It was just a gut feel. And not so much based around the performances (even though they were bad). It was more around the atmosphere amongst the club and fans that would have been very hard to break out of. Hell - remember what this board was like. People taking chunks out of each other and generally getting dragged down with the team. Taking the personal affinity many had with Powell (maybe even the players) helped I think.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

good question, Polar bear I reckon

I am certain that a Polar Bear is the only living mammal that would win a bare knuckle fight with another mammal, so yes from me even though Rhinos are pretty hard too.
    So, how are they under the Marquess of Queensbury rules?
  • Options
    Sell Jenkinson and get to Championship?!?!

Surely selling Fox now would take us to the top of the Prem by that standard?

He did a lot with what he had and I think he will always be my favourite manager (don't really remember Curbs)