Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell on Talksport

Comments

• Options

He said he would reply to all fans letters! Get writing people... i might ask him who would win a fight between a polar bear and a grizzly bear

good question, Polar bear I reckon

It's looking pretty even to me.....
  • Options
    But they say 'never go back' and I'm sure that it will be an easier gig (if such a thing exists in the modern day hire and fire world of pro footy) for CP to manage elsewhere without the attachment of the legend status.

We wi follow his career with continued interest and he will be exceptionally well received if he comes back and stands in the away technical area!
  • Options
    I miss him,and listening to that made me hope that one day he does return.Top bloke, and will turn out to be a top manager.
  • Options
    Too much man love going on in here. Yes I liked the guy. But it stopped there. He gave a good interview yesterday but I wouldn't have expected anything different. I often wonder if the people who say they love him actually know him.
    Likeable guy granted.
  • Options
    I love the man but the only time id want him back is if he goes and does a good job at another 2/3 clubs.

He still has a lot to learn as a manager and experience at clubs he has no ties too will do him the world of good.
  • Options
    That's choice. You're telling me what to do. Chill out. By the way I love Jose. Only teasing
  • Options
    That's choice you telling me to chill out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Powell said that RD bought in players he didn't consider good enough and has been proved right with JR not playing them either

Oh yeah, he certainly proved them right at Sheffield (Utd).
    True, but it was still Powell and Powell's players that got us to Sheffield Utd. Is Riga also wrong to not be playing the likes of Thuram, Koch, Nego and Polish Pete then?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @Weegie Addick I think most of us are concerned with "the strategy" and "the network" and that is primarily because we don't know any of the detail. It does not surprise me that CP was unhappy with it, few British mangers would be happy with European styles of club management, and this is a development on that but that does not mean it is wrong.

For me the period we are in at the moment is a firefighting period and we don't really have a true reflection of what will happen going forward in running the club or transfers.

Once our league status has been established and over the summer months we will have a clearer idea of where RD will take us.

On the plus side we have seen the investment in the pitch and the academy being taken forward but in the negative we see the transfer dealings, which if repeated spell doom, but if improved could spearhead us towards a play off contention next season.

It's never easy being a Charlton fan and sometimes I wish we were in the age pre internet when we really did know nothing and just saw what was going on, on the pitch.
  • Options

"When [RD's] plans were unveiled for the future of the club it didn't sit easy with him. It was getting tougher and tougher."

And this, in a nutshell, is why I have major question marks over RD, the network and the as yet unknown strategy, apart from the stated intention to breakeven.

Regardless of one's view re Powell's managerial capabilities, no-one can doubt his love for, understanding of, and commitment to Charlton Athletic Football Club. If Powell had serious reservations re the Duchatelet strategy, and could not reach agreement over "footballing issues" going forward, then that worries me big-time.

Ssshhhhh, we're supposed to pretend everything is just fine! Put your head back in the sand and declare your love for Jose Riga, RD and Katrien!
  • Options

"When [RD's] plans were unveiled for the future of the club it didn't sit easy with him. It was getting tougher and tougher."

And this, in a nutshell, is why I have major question marks over RD, the network and the as yet unknown strategy, apart from the stated intention to breakeven.

Regardless of one's view re Powell's managerial capabilities, no-one can doubt his love for, understanding of, and commitment to Charlton Athletic Football Club. If Powell had serious reservations re the Duchatelet strategy, and could not reach agreement over "footballing issues" going forward, then that worries me big-time.

Ssshhhhh, we're supposed to pretend everything is just fine! Put your head back in the sand and declare your love for Jose Riga, RD and Katrien!
    Zzzzzz
  • Options

Zzzzzz
    No one asked you to open the thread.
  • Options

Zzzzzz
    I dont recall the thread being called 'lets slag off people that support the current board'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Nug - so have you suddenly lost affinity with the players since Jose became manager? Is he not Charlton enough for you? (Genuine question, not a dig - we all have different measures/levels of judging such things.) It seems to me that despite a definitely European style and approach quite unlike CP's (not necessarily better OR worse) he seems to be in the proper Charlton mode - getting the players playing with and for each other, keeping calm and carrying on and bouncing back after potentially crushing defeats. Can't think what more you could realistically ask of any manager in his position frankly.
  • Options

Zzzzzz
    I dont recall the thread being called 'lets slag off people that support the current board'
    I don't recall it being called 'Lets slag off people who dare to question the current board' either.
  • Options
    @thenewbie - as I said in my post I am growing to like him and I did not criticize him, he's done a great job so far. Is he Charlton enough? I'm not sure what that means, but put it this way, I doubt he will be here long enough for me to know and that's a shame, same for Astrit who I think is excellent and would love for him to be around a few seasons. That's my concern with being part of a network and I accept I'm probably in a minority. Hopefully I am wrong and Riga will stay and build on his good start, we'll be in the Championship, Hamer, Morrison, Astrit and Poyet sign on the dotted line and I see a lush green pitch at The valley next season.
  • Options

Zzzzzz
    I don't recall it being called 'Lets slag off people who dare to question the current board' either.
  • Options
    Nug said:

@thenewbie - as I said in my post I am growing to like him and I did not criticize him, he's done a great job so far. Is he Charlton enough? I'm not sure what that means, but put it this way, I doubt he will be here long enough for me to know and that's a shame, same for Astrit who I think is excellent and would love for him to be around a few seasons. That's my concern with being part of a network and I accept I'm probably in a minority. Hopefully I am wrong and Riga will stay and build on his good start, we'll be in the Championship, Hamer, Morrison, Astrit and Poyet sign on the dotted line and I see a lush green pitch at The valley next season.

Doubt you're in the minority; I agree with that 110%. Your desire is essentially what's best for the club after all.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

It's never easy being a Charlton fan and sometimes I wish we were in the age pre internet when we really did know nothing and just saw what was going on, on the pitch.

Rather than the current internet age where we still know nothing but all pretend we do?
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Rather than the current internet age where we still know nothing but all pretend we do?
    Lol there is that.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

Lol there is that.
    I heard that too.