Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Watford post-match views (Spoiler Alert: We're staying up!) 2014

Comments

• Options
    Thank god what a relief.

Great all round performance, Watford did not just come and roll over they need to be beaten and beat them we did.

So we move on to a summer of coming and goings. Clearly for the most part we were not good enough and changes need to be made. I hope not all the bath water is thrown out, there are some that need to be retained
  • Options
    Great all-round performance, showed more passion tonight than I have seen all season at home.

Great feeling leaving the ground tonight, which haven't been to frequent this season.

Thought both the team & the crowd last night were exceptional, reminded me of the good old prem days.

• Options
    great night and a great performance.

I just love midweek nights like that at the Valley
  • Options
    A passionate performance in a very decent atmosphere.

In my view, not all that dissimilar from performances at other recent games - the real difference was Callum's shooting.

Poyet, Wilson and Solly all excellent. Harriott's goals were fantastic but he often gave the ball away due to over-elaboration. Obika has an asbolutely terrible first touch and I have no idea why Spurs are holding on to him. I'm liking Fox more and more every time I see him play.

We worked hard and did out best not to be outmuscled by a big, strong, dirty Watford team.
  • Options
    I'm in the fortunate position that the 5 games I have attended this season have all ended in victories and this was the best of them.

Watford did not have the deck chairs out but they did look much more impressive going forward than defending. All our players played their part and whilst each had a dodgy moment or two (yes, even Diego!) there were more than enough good moments to win the game.

In a way it reminded me of a Premiership match - not in terms of quality - but in as much as one player was the difference between the two teams, the erratic Harriott.

So, a well deserved win and safety. I'll be living closer next season so will attend more games...........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well that was fun! For various reasons, only been able to get to 5 games this season, 3 at home - Brighton, QPR and tonight. I could have chosen worse.

Tonight had everything - atmosphere, trepidation, goals, villains, quality forward play (by the oppo, sadly), a sending off and even an over-excited numpty in the North Lower making a misguided attempt to get on the pitch at the end. Didn't even make it to the turf. Was it worth it, son?

Huge credit to the players - to come through this season, with all the rumours, upheaval, ludicrous contract situations, random sub-standard player arrivals etc and still get results is no mean achievement and says a lot about their character, and good to see the team spirit has clearly survived. Even Obika - on loan and 'only' a sub, not sulking but touching fists and geeing up the team when they came back on after half-time - liked that.

And fair play to Riga for getting the first sub exactly right and telling Jacko to push on a bit more when that change was made - paid almost immediate dividends and glad Obika was involved in the goal.

And I've finally decided that maybe the players actually do know more about this game than I do. 78th minute and I'm inwardly giving Cousins pelters for taking a quick free-kick when he should have stood over the ball for a few seconds. Passed it straight to Wilson, cross-field ball, Harriott finishes, game over and time to get the cigars out. Shows what I know.

Just hope everyone made it home ok - never good when you see a concentration of hi-vis jackets in the crowd.

Get a season ticket, well be champions before may 2015
  • Options
    Shame burnley got promoted last week, I reckon we could have nicked it last day of the season.
  • Options
    PBR. Just a few thoughts to sum up the evening.

Fantastic result against a filthy Watford side who can consider themselves lucky to finish the game with 10 men on the pitch. Could easily have been 8!

Playing the likes of Wilson, Cousins and Harriott in their preferred positions is always going to be better than trying to squeeze them into places that they're not comfortable.

No RD players on the pitch at any time during the game and only a couple on the bench.

Sad that we may well have seen the last of several of those players in a Charlton shirt, most especially Poyet.

Overall, delighted that we took our destiny in our own hands and didn't have to go to Blackpool needing a result and/or other results to go our way.

Now just need us, Birmingham and Doncaster to win and Millwall to lose on Saturday.
  • Options
    Superb, now hopefully to progress a little, (or a lot I don't mind)
  • Options
    Was at Carlisle when we won promotion from League One two years ago... Was at the home game against Wycombe when we were confirmed Champions

Yet in terms of recent years.. Surviving relegation last night has eclipsed that season for me (even though I attended 43 league games in the League One winning year)
  • Options
    Harriet with two cracking goals -----Jackson doing what Jackson does with legs that are going---------------great noise.

Had a free ticket last night and as pointed out by my wife everytime i had a free ticket we won--------------so there you have it, best you get those free tickets coming my way !

Charlton Athletic sometimes after 45+ years i wonder why i still go but other times " you light a spark in this bonefire heart"
  • Options
    Haven't celebrated goals like that in a long time. Harriot's second was superbly taken.

Atmosphere was great last night, if only we could get it like that for every match.

That odd bunch of Watford fans at the front of the JS last night, looked like absolute bellends. Just a smaller, but equally cringe worthy version of palace's lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Croydon said:

That odd bunch of Watford fans at the front of the JS last night, looked like absolute bellends. Just a smaller, but equally cringe worthy version of palace's lot.

They model themselves on the Palace fans - sing the same songs etc.

TBF We need somebody to create a bit of atmosphere!

• Options
    Croydon said:

I think Watford bought them from Palace at the beginning of the season for a packet of wine gums. They were Ultra rejects ....
  • Options

They didn't stop signing or clapping to be fair to them, even when we scored.

Shame we couldn't hear a peep from them, wrong night for them to be odwn at Fortress Valley. Did look like a bunch of prize bellends but credit where credit's due, bit of support win or lose can't do any team harm.
  • Options

Croydon said:

They model themselves on the Palace fans - sing the same songs etc.

TBF We need somebody to create a bit of atmosphere!

It's hard to criticise fans who make some noise, and it's not as if they were affecting the enjoyment of the rest of the Watford fans...

Your manager isn't a happy bunny, is he the right man for the job? It does seem that a lot of Watford fans want more of a British emphasis next season.
  • Options
    Its the overhead clapping that made me laugh.
  • Options
    I think Sannino deserves a go next season - last thing we want to be doing is changing managers every 6 months.

Just needs to build his own squad with permanent signings rather than loan players who have been hit and miss.
  • Options
    Did anybody esle notice that when Obika came on he had a piece of paper in his hand which he handed to Devet who had a quick read,screwed it up and threw it away, I would love to know what it said.
  • Options

Looks like you are more positive about our performance than our own fans!

Cannot argue about the result - we had control of the game for a while after the equaliser.

Generally you were on top scoring some decent goals (has Harriot really not scored all season - should get more if he can finish like that)

Congratulations (rather you stay up than a Birmingham/Doncaster) and see you next season.

Thanks. What did you make of the sending off? I genuinely heard some Watford fans after the game saying Poyet cheated (the irony). He kicked someone in the head. Tell me how that isn't a yellow card. Talk about blind faith. On the same note, what's it like watching your team pull every trick in the book each week to con the referee? It wouldn't sit well with me if that was Charlton. A genuine question. I'm not on the wind up.