Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Watford post-match views (Spoiler Alert: We're staying up!) 2014

12346»

Comments

• Options

Dansk_Red said:

Did anybody esle notice that when Obika came on he had a piece of paper in his hand which he handed to Devet who had a quick read,screwed it up and threw it away, I would love to know what it said.

Le singe est sur la branche

Maia non. Le singe est dans l'arbre.
  • Options
    That was better than getting promoted from League 1 even though the end product is the same. It all came together last night football, crowd, players, drama, warm atmospheric evening, everyone singing and standing up at the sheer excitement . Brilliant. You only feel the sense of euphoria when you have tasted the opposite many times and this season has been grim in many ways and I would expect rather than hope that the club will invest any money they have in three decent strikers for next season and not wait until August to do this. Thank you cafc for a great end (at home anyway) to a difficult season.
  • Options
    One silly little thing I love about Jacko is that he is likely to be the most London of London footballers. Born and brought up in Covent Garden or Soho I believe. All right, there are a lot of births in St Thomas Hospital overlooking Parliament, but those babies rarely grow up bang in the middle of it all, let alone go on to be footballers. When Jacko grew up he must have had to have the proverbial street kickabouts with the likes of Vanessa Redgrave, Quentin Blake, Mike Leigh, Micky Most, Peter Stringfellow and Ian McKellen.
  • Options
    purdis said:

I read every post on this thread and simply couldn't stop smiling for nearly two hours. I didn't stay up as I had to work the next day but woke up at 4.55am when the game had just finished and wanted to check the score on my mobile phone... The first thing I saw was this sentence on CAFC Wall 'JJ:It's nights like tonight which make me so proud to be captain of this great club. ' and I instantly knew we did it!!!

To be honest, back when SCP left I thought it was time for us to prepare for the worst. I didn't expect we would be able to turn things around. But slowly we started to pick up points here and there and reading people's views on this forum after every game made me think maybe, just maybe we had a chance of staying up under this new coach. Of course felt very low when we kept losing on Saturdays but that Sheffield win nine days ago eventually became another one of this season's highlights for me and for the first time ever I had the real belief that we could do it, we could stay in this league. It was the epitome of our whole season and it showed we had the character to fight back, to turn it all around.

I had a tear in my eye this morning just after I told my Mom that we're staying up. I got misty-eyed when I read Jose Riga's post-match speech this evening. I felt so happy reading all your posts. Huge well done to all the players, Riga, Dyer, Matthew, and all the fans. And last but not least, huge thanks to Chris Powell, you'll always be remembered by us as a true Charlton legend.

Like Riga said, maintaining our Championship status is an achievement as big as winning the title, especially considering the extremely difficult fixtures, the little squad we have and what's happening off the pitch. So once again, I feel truly proud to be a fan of this club.

PS. It has just occured to me that eight years ago on Apr.29 Curbs announced his decision to leave the club and it was the saddest day of my Charlton supporting life. Well, on Apr.29 this year we managed to stay up against all odds and from now on, I'll certainly remember this day with great fondness.

I love this.

It was a special atmosphere last night and reminded me that despite everything that's happened this season, I love this club. We've been through a lot worse but it's easy to forget how much you really care about Charlton when it comes down to it.

As for Jackson, he's right up there with Kinsella as a Captain. The passion he holds for our club is amazing. Don't ever write him off. How many times has he popped up with vital goals? A great leader.
    There has been a lift in morale since Chris Solly returned, Dervite has improved superbly and Morgan Fox is the surprise of the season.
    For me, the timing of Solly's return has been significant

I agree with this but more due to his ability. Forgot what a composed and intelligent player he is. Is it any coincidence that when Solly and Wilson play together we score three goals?
  • Options

I read every post on this thread and simply couldn't stop smiling for nearly two hours. I didn't stay up as I had to work the next day but woke up at 4.55am when the game had just finished and wanted to check the score on my mobile phone... The first thing I saw was this sentence on CAFC Wall 'JJ:It's nights like tonight which make me so proud to be captain of this great club. ' and I instantly knew we did it!!!

To be honest, back when SCP left I thought it was time for us to prepare for the worst. I didn't expect we would be able to turn things around. But slowly we started to pick up points here and there and reading people's views on this forum after every game made me think maybe, just maybe we had a chance of staying up under this new coach. Of course felt very low when we kept losing on Saturdays but that Sheffield win nine days ago eventually became another one of this season's highlights for me and for the first time ever I had the real belief that we could do it, we could stay in this league. It was the epitome of our whole season and it showed we had the character to fight back, to turn it all around.

I had a tear in my eye this morning just after I told my Mom that we're staying up. I got misty-eyed when I read Jose Riga's post-match speech this evening. I felt so happy reading all your posts. Huge well done to all the players, Riga, Dyer, Matthew, and all the fans. And last but not least, huge thanks to Chris Powell, you'll always be remembered by us as a true Charlton legend.

Like Riga said, maintaining our Championship status is an achievement as big as winning the title, especially considering the extremely difficult fixtures, the little squad we have and what's happening off the pitch. So once again, I feel truly proud to be a fan of this club.

PS. It has just occured to me that eight years ago on Apr.29 Curbs announced his decision to leave the club and it was the saddest day of my Charlton supporting life. Well, on Apr.29 this year we managed to stay up against all odds and from now on, I'll certainly remember this day with great fondness.

Lovely post Jessie. I think it's amazing that you follow Charlton so closely from so far away. What are the chances of you coming over to England sometime and coming to see a game at the Valley? I'm sure a lot of lifers would want to say hi and give you a warm welcome.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

One silly little thing I love about Jacko is that he is likely to be the most London of London footballers. Born and brought up in Covent Garden or Soho I believe. All right, there are a lot of births in St Thomas Hospital overlooking Parliament, but those babies rarely grow up bang in the middle of it all, let alone go on to be footballers. When Jacko grew up he must have had to have the proverbial street kickabouts with the likes of Vanessa Redgrave, Quentin Blake, Mike Leigh, Micky Most, Peter Stringfellow and Ian McKellen.

And his old mans a black cabbie.
  • Options

seth plum said:

And his old mans a black cabbie.
    Had to read that twice, SS ....

:-)

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Lovely post Jessie. I think it's amazing that you follow Charlton so closely from so far away. What are the chances of you coming over to England sometime and coming to see a game at the Valley? I'm sure a lot of lifers would want to say hi and give you a warm welcome.
    Thank you Davo. Yes I think one day I will. Perhaps not in the near future as I can't have a break longer than five days due to my current work situation but to visit England, the beautiful country and go to The Valley for a game are definitely things I want to do before I'm too old! Also it's equally important for me to get the opportunity to thank Fanny & co in person, and meet some of you Lifers. This is a great club with great fans. You've all made me feel so welcome on here already and I'm sure it'll be a truly amazing experience to finally meet you in England!
  • Options
    Nice Jessie! If you are traveling around Asia there are plenty of addicks around if you want a beer and a chat. I always welcome meeting fellow fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a night! One seasons excitement in one game. If we had played like that all season we would have been comfortable ages ago.

Couple of thoughts. The first is what a difference it makes to have Solly available the combination of him and Lawrie really makes the team much more solid lets hope we get a full season from them next time.

Lawrie is my Player of the season he has accepted playing out of position and has given everything he is proper Charlton.

Oh and lastly what a nasty, niggly team Watford were glad we beat them just for that.
  • Options

sirjohnhumphreyMember
    April 29
    Said to my ten year old at the end of the game that he had just experienced what being a football fan and Charlton fan is all about.

A great reward for all those youngsters who must have felt they were being punished for something this season. A marvellous and well deserved experience for those we see every game struggling into The Valley despite disability. A fitting tribute to those that we remember losing each year. Another memory to keep us going in the tough times. It is a good time to thank the guys and girls in the North Upper who gave it everything on Tuesday night, it is a pleasure to be in your company. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options

Looks like you are more positive about our performance than our own fans!

Cannot argue about the result - we had control of the game for a while after the equaliser.

Generally you were on top scoring some decent goals (has Harriot really not scored all season - should get more if he can finish like that)

Congratulations (rather you stay up than a Birmingham/Doncaster) and see you next season.

Thanks. What did you make of the sending off? I genuinely heard some Watford fans after the game saying Poyet cheated (the irony). He kicked someone in the head. Tell me how that isn't a yellow card. Talk about blind faith. On the same note, what's it like watching your team pull every trick in the book each week to con the referee? It wouldn't sit well with me if that was Charlton. A genuine question. I'm not on the wind up.
    I certainly don't think he cheated and I doubt Riera helped himself by being booked for such a petty incident in the first place.

I see he has been changed by the FA for Improper conduct although given he is due back at Udinese where would any ban be served?

Some of our fans do get frustrated by our general lack of discipline and it certainly doesn't help our reputation.

• Options

Looks like you are more positive about our performance than our own fans!

Cannot argue about the result - we had control of the game for a while after the equaliser.

Generally you were on top scoring some decent goals (has Harriot really not scored all season - should get more if he can finish like that)

Congratulations (rather you stay up than a Birmingham/Doncaster) and see you next season.

Thanks. What did you make of the sending off? I genuinely heard some Watford fans after the game saying Poyet cheated (the irony). He kicked someone in the head. Tell me how that isn't a yellow card. Talk about blind faith. On the same note, what's it like watching your team pull every trick in the book each week to con the referee? It wouldn't sit well with me if that was Charlton. A genuine question. I'm not on the wind up.
    I certainly don't think he cheated and I doubt Riera helped himself by being booked for such a petty incident in the first place.

I see he has been changed by the FA for Improper conduct although given he is due back at Udinese where would any ban be served?

Some of our fans do get frustrated by our general lack of discipline and it certainly doesn't help our reputation.

What i find weird about this is that he's on loan from galatasaray ... surely you know that watford person?
  • Options
    Good point!

He has signed a Pre-contract with Udinese to join them in the summer though.
  • Options

Good point!

Blimey, keeping up with it all at Watford must be a full time job. I wonder if that is what we'll all be trying to do come next season what with the network and all.
    Anybody else remember the first time we saw the side with all those new players Powell put together? It was rather surreal, and doesn't seem that way now, but it took a while to get used to.
  • Options
    I thought it was the best support from The Covered End since our last Prem home game against Spurs/ maybe also Cardiff H 5-4.

Great night, it will rank right up there.

It makes all the pain worthwhile :-)

• Options
    seth plum said:

Good point!

Blimey, keeping up with it all at Watford must be a full time job. I wonder if that is what we'll all be trying to do come next season what with the network and all.
    Anybody else remember the first time we saw the side with all those new players Powell put together? It was rather surreal, and doesn't seem that way now, but it took a while to get used to.
    All I worry about is that we'll lose our identity and have no British players in the team, let alone youth products. I don't want a team full of foreign rejects. We need our own independent scouting and recruitment system.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Don't forget Oscar Wilde

• Options
    That was the best atmosphere of the season and the fans really got behind the team. When required we can pull that support out of the bag. It will be interesting if we can find a way to repeat that a few more times next season. It will only help us get results.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought the contrast between our team and the Watford team was clear.

They looked and played like a bunch of individuals and showed little respect for each other, their manager or fans. I can honestly say that I had heard of only three or four of them before the game.

There was no honest endeavour or spirit amongst them and their 'flair' players were only interested when they had the ball.

Look at the make up of our team. Home grown mixed with signings made within the last few years. All aware of what we expect when you represent our club: honesty, commitment and togetherness and we showed it in abundance.

I really hope that we don't end up like this Watford squad in a few years.
  • Options
    Watford went from a category 1 application for their academy to category 3 with less coaching time and lesser opponents.
    In contrast we have just submitted planning for buildings that will support a category 1 application in a couple of years.
    As posted by others we had seven academy players there the other night.
  • Options
    The Watford cat 3 thing is interesting. I was talking to the agent for Kurtis Cumberbatch and Bobson Bowling, whose brother is a year two scholar there, and he told me that dropping to cat 3 was a financial decision because Watford would put resources into introducing players from their wider network. The proposed development of Sparrows Lane, and the aspiration for cat 1, by contrast suggests the opposite path for us.
    One thing the Watford team seemed to lack was some kind of figure, I don't know, like Terry or Lampard at Chelsea, who would impart some idea of the English footballing culture to the incomers. We have that kind of figure in Jacko, and the likely make up of the team will be home grown players.
    What we need however is a Troy Deeley, or Ross Macormack, or Jordan Rhodes sort of goalscorer, a bit reliable (unlike Reza seems to be). I wonder if Chelsea will loan us Bamford next season given their way of doing things, or maybe RD has some Ibrahimovich figure waiting in the wings.
    If we can achieve a balance, a decent way of collaborating between home grown and 'new European', then maybe there is some hope for us. Watford felt very 'other', I wouldn't much like that, but a good synergy may be achievable.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The Watford cat 3 thing is interesting. I was talking to the agent for Kurtis Cumberbatch and Bobson Bowling, whose brother is a year two scholar there, and he told me that dropping to cat 3 was a financial decision because Watford would put resources into introducing players from their wider network. The proposed development of Sparrows Lane, and the aspiration for cat 1, by contrast suggests the opposite path for us.
    One thing the Watford team seemed to lack was some kind of figure, I don't know, like Terry or Lampard at Chelsea, who would impart some idea of the English footballing culture to the incomers. We have that kind of figure in Jacko, and the likely make up of the team will be home grown players.
    What we need however is a Troy Deeley, or Ross Macormack, or Jordan Rhodes sort of goalscorer, a bit reliable (unlike Reza seems to be). I wonder if Chelsea will loan us Bamford next season given their way of doing things, or maybe RD has some Ibrahimovich figure waiting in the wings.
    If we can achieve a balance, a decent way of collaborating between home grown and 'new European', then maybe there is some hope for us. Watford felt very 'other', I wouldn't much like that, but a good synergy may be achievable.

The majority of Watford fans I would assume would be very disappointed at the run down of their academy, all fans like to see players coming through, and it can be a great aid to team spirit.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    seth plum said:

The Watford cat 3 thing is interesting. I was talking to the agent for Kurtis Cumberbatch and Bobson Bowling, whose brother is a year two scholar there, and he told me that dropping to cat 3 was a financial decision .

That is right...bit more here.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/9873025.Watford_Academy_to_downgrade_to_Category_3/

Hopefully we will still see youngsters coming through as the likes of Murray and Hoban have done well and as suggested are the future rather than having a number of loan players or guys of whom it appears some want to leave this summer.

That has been part of the problem this season - too many fairly average or players not suited to the league brought in whereas last season we had guys who wanted to do well and performed very well (Anya,Vydra,Abdi)

This season of the new players personally think Angella (Number 4) and Tozser (28) have only really impressed.