Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Millwall Watch

Comments

• My recollection of matches at The Den is not quite so rose tinted and I attended quite a few back in the early sixties when my uncle (a Charlton fan) used to take me to both The Valley and The Den.

Always found the place to have an overtly aggressive feel with middle aged men the culprits just as much as the obvious teen groups. My first real experience of every sentence starting and ending in the word fuck. Before anyone says it’s an urban myth. Yes I did see grown middle aged men brawling with each other. Not every week of course but often enough. Also remember the posters at all the exits warning of ground closures should there be any trouble. It was a dreadful place and full of dreadful people. As far as I can tell it still is.

Glad the playoffs are now not going to happen for Millwall. Just like every other season I hope next season sees them relegated.

Detest everything about the scummy club.

Admittedly I was very young, but I don’t remember any trouble of any kind at any of the matches I went to.
  • JamesSeed said:

My recollection of matches at The Den is not quite so rose tinted and I attended quite a few back in the early sixties when my uncle (a Charlton fan) used to take me to both The Valley and The Den.

Always found the place to have an overtly aggressive feel with middle aged men the culprits just as much as the obvious teen groups. My first real experience of every sentence starting and ending in the word fuck. Before anyone says it’s an urban myth. Yes I did see grown middle aged men brawling with each other. Not every week of course but often enough. Also remember the posters at all the exits warning of ground closures should there be any trouble. It was a dreadful place and full of dreadful people. As far as I can tell it still is.

Glad the playoffs are now not going to happen for Millwall. Just like every other season I hope next season sees them relegated.

Admittedly I was very young, but I don’t remember any trouble of any kind at any of the matches I went to.
    Now a punch up in the boardroom would be a story worth hearing.

• JamesSeed said:

My recollection of matches at The Den is not quite so rose tinted and I attended quite a few back in the early sixties when my uncle (a Charlton fan) used to take me to both The Valley and The Den.

Wtf.
  • JamesSeed said:

Wtf.
    Sorry :-(
  • edited May 2018
    As I have mentioned before, I worked in Deptford and many of my work mates were Millwall supporters, including their captain who was finishing his apprenticeship after moving from Scotland, those were the days when footballers were not rich, (cannot remember his name, one for you BBW, (remembered it was Anderson), it was in the early 60's). Went with them to see some Millwall v Charlton games, but as I was their guest I was in their end and had to keep quiet when we scored, which unfortunately, was not often.
  • JamesSeed said:

is quite comical the millwall fans that are now taking the " we didnt want playoffs anyway " they have had a great season and in all fairness i don't think they would of won playoffs but a very good season lets just hope they plummet next season :smile:

Yeah, nearly as comical as all the boycotting Charlton fans that have started jumping through all the justification hoops to start attending again now that a play-off spot is on the cards.

Anyone would think that football fans are a fickle bunch.

I'm sure the irony isn't lost on you, though :smiley:
    Tbf, boycotting takes proper commitment. It's something I couldn't do, but fully respect those who do. Falling off the wagon during playoff fight is more than understandable. It's nothing to do with being fickle as I'm sure you know ;-)

There were those on this forum supporting you in your fight to keep your ground, so having a dig a those here fighting for our club seems a bit petty @MillwallFan (albeit written in jest maybe?)
    What have I done???

• JamesSeed said:

is quite comical the millwall fans that are now taking the " we didnt want playoffs anyway " they have had a great season and in all fairness i don't think they would of won playoffs but a very good season lets just hope they plummet next season :smile:

Yeah, nearly as comical as all the boycotting Charlton fans that have started jumping through all the justification hoops to start attending again now that a play-off spot is on the cards.

Anyone would think that football fans are a fickle bunch.

I'm sure the irony isn't lost on you, though :smiley:
    Tbf, boycotting takes proper commitment. It's something I couldn't do, but fully respect those who do. Falling off the wagon during playoff fight is more than understandable. It's nothing to do with being fickle as I'm sure you know ;-)

There were those on this forum supporting you in your fight to keep your ground, so having a dig a those here fighting for our club seems a bit petty @MillwallFan (albeit written in jest maybe?)
    What have I done???

Can't remember. It was ages ago.
  • My recollection of matches at The Den is not quite so rose tinted and I attended quite a few back in the early sixties when my uncle (a Charlton fan) used to take me to both The Valley and The Den.

I definitely remember it as an intimidating place back in the 60's and 70's.
    Maybe I was just easily intimidated :smile:
    At school every lumpen bonehead, bully or thug seemed to be or claimed to be a Millwall fan either because they were or because it suited their self-image.
    As oohahh always says, they acted as our cunt filter.
  • this thread needs no more comments until august.

Or until you get promoted. In which case you'll be back on here pissing your pants with excitement and getting all sweary :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

Or until you get promoted. In which case you'll be back on here pissing your pants with excitement and getting all sweary :wink:
    We'll be thoroughly looking forward to starting the season on -4 points. Drab draw at the Valley followed by the usual capitulation at the Den.
    Quite possibly. That wont stop the early season optimism.

That said, it'll be nice to have two more cup finals to look forward to next season :wink:

We'll be thoroughly looking forward to starting the season on -4 points. Drab draw at the Valley followed by the usual capitulation at the Den.
    Quite possibly. That wont stop the early season optimism.

That said, it'll be nice to have two more cup finals to look forward to next season :wink:
    Let’s be brutally honest. -4 pts is optimistic any time.

i highly doubt it, we will at the current time be behind millwall but form is temporary, class is forever :smiley:
  • I only went to the Den a couple of times and do remember thinking I’m probably gonna get beaten up but in truth never experienced any problems.

While there will be minority’s at most clubs who scar its reputation, we’ve had our fair share (think about the twat who tried to punch the Palace Eagle, total moron/Neanderthal) I do think a lot of Millwall’s goes before them and is blown out of proportion.

They’ve had a good season and done really well which has really surprised me but good luck to them, I wish we had some of there bottle (maybe Bowyer is bringing that back). Of course it irks me that they have such a stranglehold on us and beat us more often than not but in the games I’ve witnessed they’ve deserved it, we’ve been pretty pathetic and often roll over and die!

I think if I’m gonna dislike anyone these days even though Millwall have traditionally been our rivals, it’s Palace.
  • edited May 2018
    Havnt beed to the Den recently to watch Charlton as its just too painful watching the team just not turn up, but one recollection from about 10 years ago was going there with my Hartlepool mate to see the Pool play and in the corners of the home sections on the sides immediately next to the away fans were about 50 fans on each side who just spent the entire game taunting the away fans - they didnt watch any of the game (probably a good thing) , just spent the whole time doing cut-throat, or wanker, or other pwopa nawty stuff. The stewards just stood there and watched. (in actual fact, i think they were doing the same!).
    Just what holes do these 'humans' crawl out of?

ps dont have a major problem with Palace and their fans tbh.
  • The usual "its your cup final", only for it to be their biggest gate of the season.
  • I went to the old Den a few times as a kid, and like a few others was a mix of enthralled and somewhat intimidated - I was pretty small for my age which didn't help. But the main factor in abandoning the place was actually my Dad's refusal to take me to the cup game they had with Spurs (Greaves was an early hero). Bear in mind that he was from the Isle of Dogs and no stranger to some of the tougher parts of London. I guess he was being over protective...but it seemed to kill interest in going there, and fortunately The Valley filled the vacuum a year or two later when i was allowed to go with mates.

As for our horrendous record agin 'em, I'm hoping that if Bowyer is in charge our mentality will be different - a rare case of a CAFC player with a winning record in the fixture.
  • CAFCTrev said:

The usual "its your cup final", only for it to be their biggest gate of the season.

Maybe I'm missing something, or your wording doesn't read very well, but I don't believe we've ever seriously claimed that a game against us is your cup final.

It's usually levelled at us by you.

The attendance is driven primarily due to geographic location rather than any belief that either team features in any 'rivalry' list.

It's a derby, not a rivalry.

That will be the spanners thinking of their cup final.

& 6 pts.
  • Sponsored links:

• I went to the old Den a few times as a kid, and like a few others was a mix of enthralled and somewhat intimidated - I was pretty small for my age which didn't help. But the main factor in abandoning the place was actually my Dad's refusal to take me to the cup game they had with Spurs (Greaves was an early hero). Bear in mind that he was from the Isle of Dogs and no stranger to some of the tougher parts of London. I guess he was being over protective...but it seemed to kill interest in going there, and fortunately The Valley filled the vacuum a year or two later when i was allowed to go with mates.

As for our horrendous record agin 'em, I'm hoping that if Bowyer is in charge our mentality will be different - a rare case of a CAFC player with a winning record in the fixture.

Well the last time we beat them, Bowyer played and i think scored as well.
  • CAFCTrev said:

The usual "its your cup final", only for it to be their biggest gate of the season.

Maybe I'm missing something, or your wording doesn't read very well, but I don't believe we've ever seriously claimed that a game against us is your cup final.

The attendance is driven primarily due to geographic location rather than any belief that either team features in any 'rivalry' list.

Is a derby not a rivalry? I think you are kidding yourself here. Obviously you give a shit about us, likewise.

I hate all this we dont care, you sound like you are Crystal palace....
  • CAFCTrev said:

Is a derby not a rivalry? I think you are kidding yourself here. Obviously you give a shit about us, likewise.

Not at all. I define a rivalry as being something whereby there is a tense atmosphere. A bit of an edge to it.

A derby, for me, would be a game against any London club other than West Ham.

Maybe you're looking for something that isn't there. Understandable when you consider that you haven't really got any proper rivals :wink:
  • stop living in denial
  • CAFCTrev said:

Not at all. I define a rivalry as being something whereby there is a tense atmosphere. A bit of an edge to it.

Maybe you're looking for something that isn't there. Understandable when you consider that you haven't really got any proper rivals :wink:
    lol what a load of bull, have you not been to a Millwank / Charlton game. Even when i was younger i went to your shite ground and got someone verbally abusing me for wearing a Charlton shirt to the ground.

Its funny how when we play you its always the highest attendance and your supporters are always frothing at the mouth.

You personally may not care as much as your average 'wall fan' but with the history and from the games i have been to it certainly is a rivalry, probably a bit less as you were in our shadows for a while. I would say its both a rivalry and a derby, with a nice heated atmosphere.
  • stop living in denial

It's not me that's sounding desperate for it to be classed as a rivalry :wink:

Just be happy with your lot that everyone likes you and doesn't really have a bad word to say about you. It's fine. Embrace it.
  • edited May 2018
    Cant you all just see BBW is on a wind-up here.
    Stop commenting, let the thread sink - until such time as they are in the relegation zone next season.
    After all, Millwall arent very important to us.
  • CAFCTrev said:

lol what a load of bull, have you not been to a Millwank / Charlton game. Even when i was younger i went to your shite ground and got someone verbally abusing me for wearing a Charlton shirt to the ground.

Its funny how when we play you its always the highest attendance and your supporters are always frothing at the mouth.

You personally may not care as much as your average 'wall fan' but with the history and from the games i have been to it certainly is a rivalry, probably a bit less as you were in our shadows for a while. I would say its both a rivalry and a derby, with a nice heated atmosphere.
    Now you're sounding desperate....and angry :smiley:

Take it from someone who knows quite a few 'wall fans that none I know of consider it a rivalry.

If you consider it a rivalry then that's fine. That's all that should matter to you.
  • I think to be fair, obviously playing us would mean more to Millwall fans than say playing Ipswich or Barnsley, but we're not their main "enemy"

Gillingham care about us more than the other way round for example.

Personally I don't enjoy our matches against Palace and Millwall. Apart from our bad track record and the aggro outside the ground, the atmosphere inside is usually disappointing. Other than the "Jon Fortune" game, I can't think of too many where the atmosphere sparkled, and there was a cauldron of noise, usually they're just tense.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Now you're sounding desperate....and angry :smiley:

Take it from someone who knows quite a few 'wall fans that none I know of consider it a rivalry.

If you consider it a rivalry then that's fine. That's all that should matter to you.
    ANGRY I AM NOT EFFING AND JEFFING ANGRY!!!!

haha :) couldn't care less whether you lot see it as a rivalry to be fair, not sure why i was trying to reason/debate with you.

Personally i consider both Palars and your lot rivals and derbies, that is it.