Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Millwall Watch

Comments

• CAFCTrev said:

The usual "its your cup final", only for it to be their biggest gate of the season.

Maybe I'm missing something, or your wording doesn't read very well, but I don't believe we've ever seriously claimed that a game against us is your cup final.

It's usually levelled at us by you.

The attendance is driven primarily due to geographic location rather than any belief that either team features in any 'rivalry' list.

It's a derby, not a rivalry.
    Is a derby not a rivalry? I think you are kidding yourself here. Obviously you give a shit about us, likewise.

I hate all this we dont care, you sound like you are Crystal palace....
    Not at all. I define a rivalry as being something whereby there is a tense atmosphere. A bit of an edge to it.

A derby, for me, would be a game against any London club other than West Ham.

Maybe you're looking for something that isn't there. Understandable when you consider that you haven't really got any proper rivals :wink:
    lol what a load of bull, have you not been to a Millwank / Charlton game. Even when i was younger i went to your shite ground and got someone verbally abusing me for wearing a Charlton shirt to the ground.

Its funny how when we play you its always the highest attendance and your supporters are always frothing at the mouth.

You personally may not care as much as your average 'wall fan' but with the history and from the games i have been to it certainly is a rivalry, probably a bit less as you were in our shadows for a while. I would say its both a rivalry and a derby, with a nice heated atmosphere.
    Now you're sounding desperate....and angry :smiley:

Take it from someone who knows quite a few 'wall fans that none I know of consider it a rivalry.

If you consider it a rivalry then that's fine. That's all that should matter to you.
    not sure why i was trying to reason/debate with you.

That's the spirit :smiley:

• CAFCTrev said:

The usual "its your cup final", only for it to be their biggest gate of the season.

Maybe I'm missing something, or your wording doesn't read very well, but I don't believe we've ever seriously claimed that a game against us is your cup final.

The attendance is driven primarily due to geographic location rather than any belief that either team features in any 'rivalry' list.

Is a derby not a rivalry? I think you are kidding yourself here. Obviously you give a shit about us, likewise.

Not at all. I define a rivalry as being something whereby there is a tense atmosphere. A bit of an edge to it.

Maybe you're looking for something that isn't there. Understandable when you consider that you haven't really got any proper rivals :wink:
    lol what a load of bull, have you not been to a Millwank / Charlton game. Even when i was younger i went to your shite ground and got someone verbally abusing me for wearing a Charlton shirt to the ground.

Its funny how when we play you its always the highest attendance and your supporters are always frothing at the mouth.

You personally may not care as much as your average 'wall fan' but with the history and from the games i have been to it certainly is a rivalry, probably a bit less as you were in our shadows for a while. I would say its both a rivalry and a derby, with a nice heated atmosphere.

Take it from someone who knows quite a few 'wall fans that none I know of consider it a rivalry.

If you consider it a rivalry then that's fine. That's all that should matter to you.
    BBW,
    Take it from someone who knows quite a few wall' fans too.
    Family, mates, even colleagues.
    It's a rivalry.

• Its true that a lot of millwall fans quite like us and on a personal level I have many friends and acquaintances that are millwall fans who I like. There are 3 things that make our view a bit different from there's in my opinion:
    1) They beat us far more than we beat them so when we do win, it means a lot more.
    2) Most of them now live in Charlton territory and if their honest, recognise us as the local side and go to the valley or have friends that go to the valley whereas far less of us go there anymore.
    3) We are not one of the big hooligan clubs (we are not without but have a complete spectrum of society i would say) and a large proportion of their fans that go to what they would call their rival games, get aroused by all the 'hard' stuff and love getting dressed up in all their gear and looking the part even if the chances of an actual fight are virtually nil - in fact, there's even less chance at one of their rival games due to the police presence. (back in the 70's and 80's when their reputation was made, this may not have been the case but it is now, hence why it is so embarrassing down there to the older millwall fans)
  • Howells said:

CAFCTrev said:

BBW,
    It's a rivalry.

I know more.

• 70’s and 80’s !!!!!!!! You’re having a laugh

Taken from www.millwall-history.co.uk

The club's history is dotted with incidents involving troublesome spectators. The club have been fined several times and even had their ground closed. The closures occurred in 1920, 1934 and 1950 after crowd disturbances, and in 1947 when a spectator threatened the referee. Millwall supporters wrecked a train returning from Norwich in 1967 and caused most of the coaches to be taken temporarily out of service.

The Plymouth incident of January 1967 added to their reputation as bad losers. When Argyle came to The Den and ended Millwall's record run of 59 home League matches without defeat, the fans took it out on the Plymouth team, stoning them and smashing the coach windows. The club were again reported to the League.

But the most publicised incident of even Millwall's eventful history came on 14 October 1967, when referee Norman Burtenshaw was knocked to the ground by a rush of spectators at the end of the game against Aston Villa. Burtenshaw was assisted from the pitch and later claimed to have been knocked unconscious. The League fined the club £1,000, and Millwall agreed to raise the height of the wall running around the pitch. The referees' association thought the punishment was inadequate, and even threatened a boycott of The Den.
  • Howells said:

CAFCTrev said:

BBW,
    It's a rivalry.

I know more.
    Now who's sounding desperate then?
  • Howells said:

Howells said:

CAFCTrev said:

BBW,
    It's a rivalry.

I know more.
    Not me. I'm not trying to 'out Millwall mate' a Millwall supporter :wink:
  • one of my favourite recent-ish memories of Millwall away was after a nil nil in the championship when Powell was manager. Charlton were very loud all game and then there were some shenanigans in the lower tier at the final whistle and a couple of things thrown on the pitch. There were no trains back, so we took a walk to London Bridge. Lots of posturing, on both sides, but no trouble. Got out onto the main road and there was a guy in his late 50’s literally foaming at the mouth, screaming “Charlton are taking the piss, lets do em” etc! I’ve never seen anything like it! That’s the image I have in my mind, whenever I think of Millwall! No rivalry, my arse!
  • edited May 2018
    Howells said:

Howells said:

Howells said:

CAFCTrev said:

BBW,
    It's a rivalry.

I know more.

Yes, you actually.

You've desperately replied, almost immediately to every post here in order to perceive this image of Millwall being properly high and mighty - a club whom needn't care about little old Charlton.
    If we are only a derby to you then why are you so desperate to respond each time?

You and your 'wall mates' might seek superiority by virtue of belittling Charlton as if you are greater in all ways, and I'm sure it works for you seeing as you haven't got anything else to evidence your apparent arrogance.
    I mean you haven't won anything, you haven't played in the premier league, your fans are known universally as thugs and dare I suggest that your fans have never possessed the nous required to historically rally together to get your ground back before funding a wonderful stadium rebuild and top, top youth academy, perhaps that is a bit arrogant of me? And right after I called you arrogant a few moments ago? Well.. Yes. But for good reason, you see, despite you lot having one decent season you would do well to remember that your club has achieved next to nothing compared Charlton, so your high and mighty act is humiliating, especially when I know of decent, down to earth, Millwall supporters who do a much better job of representing your club in a way you evidently cannot.

But where does that leave you, BBW?
    It leaves you here, on a Charlton forum, posting a reply to this post, no doubt frantically googling the last time we beat you, yes we all know, and yes it's actually impossible for us to beat you in 20+ years when we spent so many of those years in a different (higher) division than you.

Your obvious insecurity hidden though a childish arrogance to suggest you are far superior than anyone else, be it charlton or any other club in land..Oh yeah and a 'reputation' for being a bit tasty thirty years ago, well, It's all a bit palace isn't it?

Are you the resident psychologist?

I'd say the above rant highlights your own insecurities that you are trying to attribute to me.

If you want a chat about anything then I'm a good listener. You've only got to ask.

EDIT: Just to add, What the actual f**k are you going on about? Superiority? from the supporter of a small club like mine? Haha. Behave.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

Howells said:

Howells said:

Howells said:

CAFCTrev said:

BBW,
    It's a rivalry.

I know more.

Yes, you actually.

You've desperately replied, almost immediately to every post here in order to perceive this image of Millwall being properly high and mighty - a club whom needn't care about little old Charlton.
    If we are only a derby to you then why are you so desperate to respond each time?

You and your 'wall mates' might seek superiority by virtue of belittling Charlton as if you are greater in all ways, and I'm sure it works for you seeing as you haven't got anything else to evidence your apparent arrogance.
    I mean you haven't won anything, you haven't played in the premier league, your fans are known universally as thugs and dare I suggest that your fans have never possessed the nous required to historically rally together to get your ground back before funding a wonderful stadium rebuild and top, top youth academy, perhaps that is a bit arrogant of me? And right after I called you arrogant a few moments ago? Well.. Yes. But for good reason, you see, despite you lot having one decent season you would do well to remember that your club has achieved next to nothing compared Charlton, so your high and mighty act is humiliating, especially when I know of decent, down to earth, Millwall supporters who do a much better job of representing your club in a way you evidently cannot.

It leaves you here, on a Charlton forum, posting a reply to this post, no doubt frantically googling the last time we beat you, yes we all know, and yes it's actually impossible for us to beat you in 20+ years when we spent so many of those years in a different (higher) division than you.

Your obvious insecurity hidden though a childish arrogance to suggest you are far superior than anyone else, be it charlton or any other club in land..Oh yeah and a 'reputation' for being a bit tasty thirty years ago, well, It's all a bit palace isn't it?

I'd say the above rant highlights your own insecurities that you are trying to attribute to me.

If you want a chat about anything then I'm a good listener. You've only got to ask.

EDIT: Just to add, What the actual f**k are you going on about? Superiority? from the supporter of a small club like mine? Haha. Behave.

Big_Bad_World said:
    » show previous quotes
    Now you're sounding desperate....and angry
    The Irony.
  • I think everyone should just head off to Makros car park.
  • Greenie said:

I think everyone should just head off to Makros car park.

Why. Do you want some ?

• Greenie said:

Why. Do you want some ?

No thank you.
  • Greenie said:

I can be there in about 15 minutes from my current location.

I'll be wearing a flat cap, sporting a flat nose, wearing a pearly king jacket and looking extremely angry.
  • is quite comical the millwall fans that are now taking the " we didnt want playoffs anyway " they have had a great season and in all fairness i don't think they would of won playoffs but a very good season lets just hope they plummet next season :smile:

As I said, this thread should be renamed back to Relegation watch now.
    It never should have been changed FROM relegation watch.
  • Howells said:

Howells said:

Howells said:

Howells said:

CAFCTrev said:

BBW,
    It's a rivalry.

I know more.

Yes, you actually.

Big_Bad_World said:
    » show previous quotes
    Now you're sounding desperate....and angry
    The Irony.

Get your own one liners.
  • if millwall and Charlton isn't a rivalry/derby then why do you lot start spraying harry everywhere every time you beat us and claim that you laugh at charlton fans, then proceed to have little messages on tube stations.

I'm definitely not registered deaf and have heard quite often "you'll never beat millwall" when the match is being played at the den, so a.) its a big turn out b.) your singing about us not beating you.

for the record have a few millwall mates and i only dislike them match day, crystal palace on the other hand i don't associate with.
  • CAFCTrev said:

What a Charlton fan might class as a ‘nice heated atmosphere’ would probably be a lot different to what we would class as a heated atmosphere.
    Yeah, it’s a derby, you get plenty there because it’s local, but our games v Leeds have been much more ‘heated’ over recent years than our games v Charlton. Leeds feels like a rivalry funny enough, Charlton feels like a local (but fairly jovial) derby. Don’t get me wrong, it’ll mean more to us than a game V say Brentford or Norwich etc but still probably 4th or 5th down the list of most Millwall fans ‘rivals list’. Most I know at Millwall, and I know a lot, wouldn’t class Charlton as a major rival. I’ve got no reason to lie, that’s just how I see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

CAFCTrev said:

What a Charlton fan might class as a ‘nice heated atmosphere’ would probably be a lot different to what we would class as a heated atmosphere.
    Yeah, it’s a derby, you get plenty there because it’s local, but our games v Leeds have been much more ‘heated’ over recent years than our games v Charlton. Leeds feels like a rivalry funny enough, Charlton feels like a local (but fairly jovial) derby. Don’t get me wrong, it’ll mean more to us than a game V say Brentford or Norwich etc but still probably 4th or 5th down the list of most Millwall fans ‘rivals list’. Most I know at Millwall, and I know a lot, wouldn’t class Charlton as a major rival. I’ve got no reason to lie, that’s just how I see it.
    that's bollocks and that's why last time you played us the liberal was attempted to be done over why the match was going on. millwall arent the club of old and they know it.

just like when you played spurs and a flat cap wearer knocked out the pissed up spurs fan ( more idiotic of the spurs fan tbh )

• that's bollocks and that's why last time you played us the liberal was attempted to be done over why the match was going on. millwall arent the club of old and they know it.

just like when you played spurs and a flat cap wearer knocked out the pissed up spurs fan ( more idiotic of the spurs fan tbh )

Careful, mate. Someone will be along soon to tell you that, as a Charlton fan, you are in no position of authority to comment on how a Millwall fan views the games between us.

• that's bollocks and that's why last time you played us the liberal was attempted to be done over why the match was going on. millwall arent the club of old and they know it.

Careful, mate. Someone will be along soon to tell you that, as a Charlton fan, you are in no position of authority to comment on how a Millwall fan views the games between us.
    im off to the slade green depot

Consider me whooshed and/or thick. Your choice :neutral:
  • CAFCTrev said:

No. Your (Millwalls) version of rivalry is based upon violence, the threat of violence and the potential of violence. That along with Leeds, West Ham and a few other clubs sets you apart from the rest of the civilised football world.

Civilised? When was football ever meant to be civilised? The working class really have lost this sport haven’t they.

It's been bugging me. Was it a train joke?
  • Recall going to the old Den back in the sixties with a mate - we were only about 16 or so -and had watched the match from the relative safety of the half-way line. Anyway we were losing 1-0 with a few minutes to go so we decided to make our way out which meant going though the Millwall fans behind the goal. Well, you can never rely on Charlton 'cos just then Ray Crawford scored. Instinctively we both jumped for joy. Big mistake. About 150 pissed off home fans turned as one and headed straight for us. Discretion being the better part of valour we legged it but luckily about 50 of the Met's finest were on hand and our 'pursuers' decided not to push matters. Don't think we stopped running till we reached Lewisham!

It's been bugging me. Was it a train joke?
    yes its a south eastern railway depot.