Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel is a errr, Nigel

Comments

• Options

If he genuinely follows palace, why does it matter how long he has followed them, as I said, it's weird.

Quite. Let's see how genuine it is.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

LenGlover said:

THEMCA said:

Drinks in the Blacksmiths and know him quite well. Supports his local team, as much as I hate Palace, I always have respect for anyone supporting their local team. Being born in Greenwich I am a Charlton fan.

I'd be interested in the evidence that he was interested in football at all pre around World Cup 1990, the accepted date when football started to become fashionable among the middle classes.

Dulwich College was a rugger bugger school which considered football to be beneath its gilded youth.
    Attendance at a rugby playing school doesn't automatically mean anti football. Is my memory playing tricks or didn't Battle For The Valley mention that you are an old Dunstonian?

You and Nige must be cut from the same cloth

:-)
    It's true. (redskin will love it) Didn't want to go on about it. I hated it there. School on Saturday mornings, had to play rugby Sat afternoon. Got a lot of sick notes so i could go to the Valley. Sure, there were kids who liked football, and supported teams, but as I recall we really were a minority, and usually the LCC scholarship kids. I really was the only Charlton fan. Obviously Farage is a different generation but I'm pretty sceptical that he will have been an active Palace fan at that age. Of course he's in the business of presenting himself as the ordinary down to earth bloke you can go for a pint with - in which case he needs to have a football team. Maybe not. If he was on the Holmesdale bank as a teenager, I'll take my hat off to him and apologise.

Thing is Len, I'd criticise any politician of any colour who just attached himself to football to gain votes. Take John Prescott. I listened to him defending the Hull Tigers thing, and was gobsmacked. He really doesn't have football in his blood at all, really doesn't get it.
    No you weren't the only Charlton fan, Prague - I was at St Dunstan's College for five years. Yes, school on Saturday mornings was verging on the sadistic.

Tony Blair is another politician who faked his football-supporting credentials: claimed he regularly watched 'Wor Jackie' from the Gallowgate End, yet Milburn had left Newcastle while Blair was still in nappies.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

THEMCA said:

Drinks in the Blacksmiths and know him quite well. Supports his local team, as much as I hate Palace, I always have respect for anyone supporting their local team. Being born in Greenwich I am a Charlton fan.

I'd be interested in the evidence that he was interested in football at all pre around World Cup 1990, the accepted date when football started to become fashionable among the middle classes.

Dulwich College was a rugger bugger school which considered football to be beneath its gilded youth.
    Attendance at a rugby playing school doesn't automatically mean anti football. Is my memory playing tricks or didn't Battle For The Valley mention that you are an old Dunstonian?

It's true. (redskin will love it) Didn't want to go on about it. I hated it there. School on Saturday mornings, had to play rugby Sat afternoon. Got a lot of sick notes so i could go to the Valley. Sure, there were kids who liked football, and supported teams, but as I recall we really were a minority, and usually the LCC scholarship kids. I really was the only Charlton fan. Obviously Farage is a different generation but I'm pretty sceptical that he will have been an active Palace fan at that age. Of course he's in the business of presenting himself as the ordinary down to earth bloke you can go for a pint with - in which case he needs to have a football team. Maybe not. If he was on the Holmesdale bank as a teenager, I'll take my hat off to him and apologise.

Thing is Len, I'd criticise any politician of any colour who just attached himself to football to gain votes. Take John Prescott. I listened to him defending the Hull Tigers thing, and was gobsmacked. He really doesn't have football in his blood at all, really doesn't get it.
    No you weren't the only Charlton fan, Prague - I was at St Dunstan's College for five years. Yes, school on Saturday mornings was verging on the sadistic.

Tony Blair is another politician who faked his football-supporting credentials: claimed he regularly watched 'Wor Jackie' from the Gallowgate End, yet Milburn had left Newcastle while Blair was still in nappies.
    Blair claimed he SAT in the Gallowgate End and watched Milburn!
  • Options

I never really trust a bloke that doesn't like football. Probably says more about me than them but that's the way it is.

Not at all Shooters. Someone not liking football is a massive conversation killer!

I'm with you all the way on that one!
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

THEMCA said:

What's your point? I'm 36 years old and I saw Charlton come back to beat Huddersfield 7-6, went to the 1966 World Cup final at Wembley and witnessed Neil Armstrong land on the moon! ;o)

• Options
    Just when you thought he couldn't become any more of a laughing stock.........
  • Options
    Happy to have something to bait the lefty Palace fans I know with.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

THEMCA said:

He'd have had more credibility if he'd said he shat on the Cold Blow and watched Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Politics on a football forum #LeaveItYeah
  • Options
    Sadly, the longer Palace survive in the PL the more loons will align themselves with them. It happened to us too.
  • Options
    If he wanted to look like "a man of the people" and was doing it all to win votes I am guessing he would have done it with a team that actually has a lot of fans.
  • Options
    So nigel the c*** turns out to be a nigel c***
  • Options
    Well at least we call them fat b******s with some justification

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27328674
  • Options
    I went dartford grammar which was a rugby school and no football team. Obviously I can't have genuine passion for Charlton.
  • Options
    What a w@nker.
  • Options
    I like the new Leonard !
  • Options
    That's a load of cobblers.

He has zero interest in football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So he is a Palace fan ;0)

• Options
    edited May 2014

THEMCA said:

Ignorant rubbish.
    From a fellow Dunstonian - Dulwich always was, and especially in the past 20 years is, totally different from what you and I experienced.
    Silly narrow minded out of date stereotyping.

And by a long, long way you weren't the only Charlton fan.
  • Options

So he is a Palace fan ;0)

Exactly!

Only sport he really likes is Fishing (at Dungeness usually).
  • Options
    Rugby? A sport only there for those not skilful enough to play football.
  • Options
    Another reason he won't be campaigning in Brighton then...
  • Options
    He has no interest in anything other than woman and immigrants.
  • Options

THEMCA said:

Ignorant rubbish.
    From a fellow Dunstonian - Dulwich always was, and especially in the past 20 years is, totally different from what you and I experienced.
    Silly narrow minded out of date stereotyping.

And by a long, long way you weren't the only Charlton fan.
    If you don't mind me asking, when did you leave the place? I left in 72.

I can remember clear as day the line up of clubs that friends in my year supported. Couple of Spurs, a Hammer, two Nigels and a joker who latched on to Millwall. And hardly any of them actually went to games as I did. Now at least in those days, nobody takes much notice of kids below their year, so maybe there was the odd Charlton fan. Year above, for sure not. There was one kid in the year above whose Dad was one of two club doctors, but he himself wasn't interested in football. Oh, and also in my class was Quentin Marsh. Remember him? Leader of Greenwich Council who opposed our return to the Valley. Didn't like sport, period.

I think the adoption of footie by the middle classes after the Gazza Tears in 1990 is pretty much universally accepted by people who've studied the matter.

• Options

I think the adoption of footie by the middle classes after the Gazza Tears in 1990 is pretty much universally accepted by people who've studied the matter.

Farage left in '82.
    If you think middle classes - like yourself, a fan from the 70's - didn't go to football until after 1990 (god knows who ''universally accepted'' this), then you must have lived through the 1980's in a strange bubble.

• Options
    TBF Charlton's crowds in the 80's were 4000/5000. The Palace H game just before we left The Valley was only 5000.

You had to whisper that you were a football fan in those days, as everyone automatically thought you were a hooligan.
  • Options
    There have always been upper, middle and working class football fans. That has been one of its strenghts down the years.

Football never had the northern/working class/professional v southern/middle class/amateur split that divided rugby league from union. Football came close in the 20s but the Southern league merged with the football league so a similar class split was avoided.

The top public schools have always played football.

As CE said the difference, post Nick Hornby as much if not than 1990, was that it once again became socially acceptable to say you liked football in "polite" company.

But those middle class fans had always been there.

More importantly by the 90s the class distinctions had become blurred. Kids from working class backgrounds were taking jobs in the city and earning big money for example.