Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel is a errr, Nigel

Comments

• Options

But those middle class fans had always been there.

More importantly by the 90s the class distinctions had become blurred. Kids from working class backgrounds were taking jobs in the city and earning big money for example.

Type in to Google "football fans priced out", to see what I'm referring to. Take your pick. Unfortunately the research study I was involved in, which got a double page spread in the Guardian, who paid for it, predates the Internet, but I have never forgotten how sad I felt attending focus groups in Sheffield, listening to decent ordinary people saying they would no longer be able to go to watch Wednesday or United. Not many of them could get "jobs in the city".

And remember the alarming statistic about the average age in the East Stand. 53, wasn't it?

Anyway, I just caught up with Have I got News for You, where Farage was a guest. After that, I still don't believe that in 1982, Nigel Farage had spent any time at all at Selhurst Park. If I'm proved wrong, I'll apologise.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Don't care who he supports

Gonna get my vote and shut down the trough that all those self serving euro bstds are eating from

Including him !
    No I'm sure he means people like this :-) :

Director
    Charlton Athletic Football Club
    January 2014 – Present (5 months)London, United Kingdom
    Legal and International Relations Manager
    Standard de Liège
    September 2013 – Present (9 months)
    Associate
    Baker & McKenzie
    March 2013 – October 2013 (8 months)Brussels Area, Belgium
    OlswangAssociate
    Olswang
    March 2011 – February 2013 (2 years)
    Competition and Regulatory Group
    White & CaseTrainee
    White & Case
    September 2010 – February 2011 (6 months)
    Stagiaire
    Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    April 2010 – August 2010 (5 months)
    Stagiaire
    European Commission (DG COMP)
    October 2009 – February 2010 (5 months)

Stagiaire
    Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
    September 2008 – August 2009 (1 year)
  • Options
    There is no doubt Nigel Farage is a divisive character. I suspect some on CL see him as a latter day St George, while others believe he would have made a good scriptwriter for Dr Goebbels. I think his conversion to stripeydom is a recent one, possibly calculated to make him appear less like a member of the elite. Allegedly his career at Dulwich College was punctuated by bouts of singing the Horst Wessel song and motoring round the streets of South London shouting obscenities at black people. Youthful indescretions or the basis of his current philosophy? You pays your money...

I suspect I am not alone in expressing a sigh of relief that Farage didn't hang his star on our wagon. He should be welcome in the halls of Critical Paralysis FC. I wonder if he'll sit next to Jo Brand and Eddie Izzard? One thing is for certain, all the Brighton fans around me (I now live in Sussex by the Sea) think UKIP have just taken a hit on the South Coast.
  • Options

Gonna get my vote and shut down the trough that all those self serving euro bstds are eating from

As he will mine. I find him quite refreshing to the others!
  • Options
    I quite like the way Farage doesn't avoid answering a direct question which for a politician is very refreshing. However I could never vote for his party because I wholeheartedly support our membership of the EU.

As for "youthful indiscretions" as mentioned by FiveGoalSummers above. I for one think that although now maybe tempered with age those views moulded in his formative years are still very much alive.

• Options
    Seeing as the establishment is clearly out to get him - is this just another smear story?

I mean, if you really wanted to discredit someone what could be worse than labelling them a palace fan?
  • Options

Seeing as the establishment is clearly out to get him - is this just another smear story?

I mean, if you really wanted to discredit someone what could be worse than labelling them a palace fan?

Possibly saying you don't follow football would be worse. Going by what people have said above, that's a real conversation killer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I never really trust a bloke that doesn't like football. Probably says more about me than them but that's the way it is.

I'm the same with people who don't like tea, weirdos
  • Options

Spot on
  • Options

I quite like the way Farage doesn't avoid answering a direct question which for a politician is very refreshing.

You didn't see him with Andrew Neil this morning then.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

THEMCA said:

Drinks in the Blacksmiths and know him quite well. Supports his local team, as much as I hate Palace, I always have respect for anyone supporting their local team. Being born in Greenwich I am a Charlton fan.

I'd be interested in the evidence that he was interested in football at all pre around World Cup 1990, the accepted date when football started to become fashionable among the middle classes.

Dulwich College was a rugger bugger school which considered football to be beneath its gilded youth.
    Attendance at a rugby playing school doesn't automatically mean anti football. Is my memory playing tricks or didn't Battle For The Valley mention that you are an old Dunstonian?

You and Nige must be cut from the same cloth

:-)
    I turned down Dulwich College, what does that make me? :)

I think smiley/stripey Nigel would be great to have a drink with, until, like most I now avoid, proping up bars, after a few beers have loostened their tongues, they suddenly start banging on about stuff they no little about like football....oh and Europe...:)
  • Options

But those middle class fans had always been there.

More importantly by the 90s the class distinctions had become blurred. Kids from working class backgrounds were taking jobs in the city and earning big money for example.

And remember the alarming statistic about the average age in the East Stand. 53, wasn't it?

What has an average age got to do with the class background of people in the East Stand.?

• Options
    edited May 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyYoL9ngtE

Came across as a bit of a fool in this.

Thanks just watched it . I don't think I have ever seen a politician so out of his depth.

The end bit when his spin doctor and 'friend in the media and political classes' ex Express hack Patrick O'Flynn tries to rescue him is priceless.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Sharp as a tack that O'Brien.

he is really good at being able to flit around the notes he has in front of him, trap the interviewee into taking a position and then using another example to show hypocrisy

Destroys farage here...absolutely destroys him and farage loses it.

In the modern world of every thing being recorded sometimes you should just say solly.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyYoL9ngtE

Came across as a bit of a fool in this.

Farage got BATTERED!!!!!!
  • Options

Sorry NLA, but....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27439164
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing is detail doesn't matter at the moment.
    Boris got elected by folk chanting 'Boris, Boris' without much of a clue as to what he is about, he exploited a half formed sense of the zeitgeist of that moment.
    Nigel Farage could probably be filmed eating a baby sandwich tomorrow, and UKIP would still storm it at the election next Thursday, because he has managed to catch hold of a moment in time and exploit it for all it is worth.
    There is a debate to be had about whether the infrastructure of Britain can cope with the influx of enough people to create a moderate sized city each year, that debate is lost in a miasma of dim witted and uninformed sloganeering where finer detail is not relevant.
    Mind you it would be quite a laugh if the 2 million British people living in Europe at the moment all returned to this country this year, I wonder how that would play out against the apparent principle of the UKIP argument.
  • Options
    The mask slips !
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me. I don't think he got battered as much as people think.

Sure, the type of person who already doesn't like Farage will enjoy him getting tied up in knots and having the conversation tilted on him, but the type of person who thinks they're unfairly treated - bullied, even - will see exactly that. Some jumped-up intellectual distracting from the "real message" UKIP are making.
  • Options
    Wow, great radio that
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Quality sensationalism there Redsek.

Inclined to agree. The more I hear from him the less I like. Its always easier to throw stones from the outside than when in power but UKIP offer nothing. Throw backs. Lets have some policies on what you would do in power first please. Either they dont have any or they are hiding the intellectuals in the party very well.

I saw the UKIP PPB last week. 3 or 4 selected token ethnics somehow legitimising their views..that is so out of date and rank propaganda
  • Options
    my oldest mate is a big fan. Went to a "rally" a couple of weeks ago as well, said it was alright because "there were black people there too". Known him since we were 2... dont think i'm going to be able to shake him.
  • Options

my oldest mate is a big fan. Went to a "rally" a couple of weeks ago as well, said it was alright because "there were black people there too". Known him since we were 2... dont think i'm going to be able to shake him.

I think that's the first time I've seen a Palace match described as a "rally"