Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel is a errr, Nigel

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

Mind you to give @addickted due credit, he is voting, and taking it seriously. It's the 65% who will not, who are letting their country down.

Not voted yet - and I still have decided which party gets my miserly single 'X'

I have been swung by the idea of Proportional Representation though.

National Health Allience is an option

• Options
    Found it pretty amusing that the lead candidate for the 'An Independence from Europe' party in the South-East lives in the Netherlands...
  • Options
    Thanks for the top tip Henry.

Are they the same as the National Health Alliance, or just a breakaway group?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Thanks for the top tip Henry.

Are they the same as the National Health Alliance, or just a breakaway group?

Splitter

• Options
    We all tend to keep company with people like ourselves, so that probably explains your experience of ex-pats Addickted (and mine). The elections are almost passing without being noticed here. Had a solitary election leaflet through the door for the first time today. The UKIP types here have done a good job of blaming the rest of the EU in general, and the Germans in particular for the austerity measures, by-passing the fact that it was their corrupt and clueless government that caused (and continues to cause) the vast majority of problems, both economic and otherwise.
  • Options

Why Brixton or Bradford?

Because they are inner or city areas, nothing to do with colour or race,
    the left wings argument to everything, why knock a nice area
    like Tunbridge Wells with the Pantiles and Nevill Cricket ground.
    Doubt if you have ever been there?

My godmother lives in Tunbridge Wells, used to go and visit every summer when I was a kid. Admittedly years ago though.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

@Algarveaddick‌

Tell us how the EU works where you are. What to the Locals feel about how it's working and what can be done to make it more accountable and to a certain extent, a stronger Union?

Ok let me try this as an example of how the EU works where I am. Go to the borders. Any of them. Take Alsace, I was there on a cycling holiday in 2000, and that's when I really got it. You know what the Alsace was , I think, Addickted. The Killing Fields. Go there now. See how the French cross the river at Strasbourg to their German jobs while the Germans cross to the French side for an infinitely superior lunch. It happens every day, it's normal. But when you are there to see it, you see that the EU, and particularly Schengen has achieved its objectives. Never again will Alsace be killing fields, where too many of our forefathers fell.

A couple of years later in the woods separating the Czech Republic from Austria, again cycling. We come across a small stone pillar. It has the Austrian flag on it. It marks the border. gleefully I head for it, shouting " let's visit Austria." I look back. My wife, a strong woman, who was on the streets of Prague in Nov 89, has stopped dead, a look of fear on her face. This to her is the place where Czech people died, trying to reach a place where people live normal lives. I said to her " it's ok honey, we can go. Next year you will be in the EU. No one is going to mind."

Last year we went skiing right on the border of the Czech Republic and Bavaria. Two towns on either side of the border nestle against each other, but before 1989 they were desolate on both sides. Who wants to live next to a a kilometer wide no mans land patrolled by armed guards? We stayed on the Bavarian side. The only way you know you've crossed the border is if you are paying attention to the signs, and maybe your satnav will chime. We already knew that Czechs were working on the Bavarian side in the restaurants, but now there were signs in Czech advertising property for sale. Well off Czechs are buying up property on the German side! In the restaurant, we talked to the Czech waitress. She came from Klatovy, half way back to Plzen. She said there isn't much work in Klatovy, but here in Eisenstein she could earn enough to rent her own small apartment . The Germans were all nice to her, she was grateful for the opportunity.

All this is a long way from the UK, I agree, but you cited two world wars earlier when indicating that you didn't trust an EU dominated by Germany. having been out here for 20 years as the borders around Germany have come down, I assure you, the EU means you never have to fear Germany again.

Please don't vote for anybody who does not value what I have described above.

• Options
    The fecking Polls are closed now :-)
  • Options
    Was it only today there? We go tomorrow lunchtime until Sat lunchtime
  • Options

Addickted said:

@Algarveaddick‌

Tell us how the EU works where you are. What to the Locals feel about how it's working and what can be done to make it more accountable and to a certain extent, a stronger Union?

Ok let me try this as an example of how the EU works where I am. Go to the borders. Any of them. Take Alsace, I was there on a cycling holiday in 2000, and that's when I really got it. You know what the Alsace was , I think, Addickted. The Killing Fields. Go there now. See how the French cross the river at Strasbourg to their German jobs while the Germans cross to the French side for an infinitely superior lunch. It happens every day, it's normal. But when you are there to see it, you see that the EU, and particularly Schengen has achieved its objectives. Never again will Alsace be killing fields, where too many of our forefathers fell.

A couple of years later in the woods separating the Czech Republic from Austria, again cycling. We come across a small stone pillar. It has the Austrian flag on it. It marks the border. gleefully I head for it, shouting " let's visit Austria." I look back. My wife, a strong woman, who was on the streets of Prague in Nov 89, has stopped dead, a look of fear on her face. This to her is the place where Czech people died, trying to reach a place where people live normal lives. I said to her " it's ok honey, we can go. Next year you will be in the EU. No one is going to mind."

Last year we went skiing right on the border of the Czech Republic and Bavaria. Two towns on either side of the border nestle against each other, but before 1989 they were desolate on both sides. Who wants to live next to a a kilometer wide no mans land patrolled by armed guards? We stayed on the Bavarian side. The only way you know you've crossed the border is if you are paying attention to the signs, and maybe your satnav will chime. We already knew that Czechs were working on the Bavarian side in the restaurants, but now there were signs in Czech advertising property for sale. Well off Czechs are buying up property on the German side! In the restaurant, we talked to the Czech waitress. She came from Klatovy, half way back to Plzen. She said there isn't much work in Klatovy, but here in Eisenstein she could earn enough to rent her own small apartment . The Germans were all nice to her, she was grateful for the opportunity.

All this is a long way from the UK, I agree, but you cited two world wars earlier when indicating that you didn't trust an EU dominated by Germany. having been out here for 20 years as the borders around Germany have come down, I assure you, the EU means you never have to fear Germany again.

Please don't vote for anybody who does not value what I have described above.

Brilliant post! Nails it for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Here in the UK our elections are always on a Thursday and the polls are open from 07.00 until 22.00. Always has been.

Are you sure it's the BBC Radio 4 Today programme you listen to every day?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Here in the UK our elections are always on a Thursday and the polls are open from 07.00 until 22.00. Always has been.

Are you sure it's the BBC Radio 4 Today programme you listen to every day?
    Thank you for your kind clarification.