Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England squad announced today?

Comments

• Options

Not a single Spurs player.

BBC have just released a stat saying its the first World Cup since 1954 that we dont have a Spurs player in the squad.

Gonna be awkward for them if we win lol!
    Think there's more chance of Kelly Brook turning up at my front door carrying a chinese takeaway and wearing no knickers tbh.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

BBC have just released a stat saying its the first World Cup since 1954 that we dont have a Spurs player in the squad.

Think there's more chance of Kelly Brook turning up at my front door carrying a chinese takeaway and wearing no knickers tbh.

Well I know how you'll be celebrating should we win the World Cup ;-)
  • Options
    Really like the look of that squad.

Whether the actual team selected will be as encouraging, i doubt it, because you know the midfield will most likely be built around Milner, Gerrard and Henderson, while Rooney and Wellback will painfully frustrate ahead of that.
  • Options
    Smalling and Jones.............bollox........in because they can play more than one position (badly)
  • Options
    Good team IMO, i do think it is a shame that Stones has not made it yet Smalling is in.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Chunes said:

Chunes said:

Think what you like about Wellbeck, he's one of the best technical players we have. If we're going to compete at WC level, he has to go. Anyone suggesting Carroll or Lambert should go ahead of him... I just can't understand.

Cant agree with that personally.

Wellbeck does have the skill to do something, his goal against Sweden showed that, but against sterner opposition i think he struggles. As Tom says, his touch is woeful at times, and when he is bad…he is really bad. We've already got a similar player in Sturridge. Lambert gives us a different, more physical option. What i'd call a proper English centre forward.
    I hear what you're saying, and if it was a premier league game I'd be likely to agree with you. But it's a different level, a different style, physicality doesn't play as much of a role at WC's as technical does.

The 'English' approach has been failing for a long time now.

I agree with your final sentence, but you are playing a very technical Uruguay team and they have stifled the attacked for 80 mins. You need a goal to go through. fans are screaming for the ball to get in the box. Id rather have Lambert to call upon. He wouldn't get in my starting 11 and neither would Welbeck, but off the bench i think Lambert is a plan B, and in a knockout tournament it can be crucial.
    Right, but when Spain, Brazil, or Italy, or any team that has consistently won international trophies over the years, need a goal against a stiffling team in the last 10 minutes, do they bring on a big lad and start lumping it in the box?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

She does that for you too?

• Options
    Roy has said that Stones will be in if Jones doesn't prove his fitness in time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't mind lampard bring in the squad and having an experienced head around the camp will be helpful! But I do not want him in the starting line up! That would be a massive step back... sub yes start no! Got that Roy??
  • Options

I think that going off the last few months, Hodgson has to pick a largely Liverpool based XI, so i'd go with the following side:

-------------Hart---------------

Johnson---Cahill---Jagielka---Baines

-------Gerrard----Henderson------

Sterling------Barkley--------Lallana

-----------Sturridge-------------

Then have the likes of Wilshire, Ox and Rooney to come on.

I'd possibly drop Henderson for my aunt as she's been to Liverpool but otherwise it's not a bad team...

• Options
    My 3rd keeper would be the English player with the best penalty saving record - whether they are in the Champonship or League One. If we are heading for pens in a match and we have a sub left, I'd make it to put some doubt in the opposition's minds!
  • Options
    I actually think it's a decent squad. Well, when I say decent, I mean that this is worst crop of English players we've had in my lifetime but we've picked the best squad we could I think. I also think Roy Hodgson is a very good manager. Of course we won't win it but I think the lack of expectation will work in our favour & England will do better than people think!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Who is john stones?

Galls brother

• Options
    Have Gerrard or Lampard ever delivered a decent game at a major tournament, yet alone a consistent series of performances?
  • Options

My 3rd keeper would be the English player with the best penalty saving record - whether they are in the Champonship or League One. If we are heading for pens in a match and we have a sub left, I'd make it to put some doubt in the opposition's minds!

Ben Hamer then?? Or Alnwick he saved one this year!!
  • Options

I think that going off the last few months, Hodgson has to pick a largely Liverpool based XI, so i'd go with the following side:

Exactly the team I would pick. Makes sense.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

Chunes said:

Think what you like about Wellbeck, he's one of the best technical players we have. If we're going to compete at WC level, he has to go. Anyone suggesting Carroll or Lambert should go ahead of him... I just can't understand.

Cant agree with that personally.

Wellbeck does have the skill to do something, his goal against Sweden showed that, but against sterner opposition i think he struggles. As Tom says, his touch is woeful at times, and when he is bad…he is really bad. We've already got a similar player in Sturridge. Lambert gives us a different, more physical option. What i'd call a proper English centre forward.
    I hear what you're saying, and if it was a premier league game I'd be likely to agree with you. But it's a different level, a different style, physicality doesn't play as much of a role at WC's as technical does.

The 'English' approach has been failing for a long time now.

I agree with your final sentence, but you are playing a very technical Uruguay team and they have stifled the attacked for 80 mins. You need a goal to go through. fans are screaming for the ball to get in the box. Id rather have Lambert to call upon. He wouldn't get in my starting 11 and neither would Welbeck, but off the bench i think Lambert is a plan B, and in a knockout tournament it can be crucial.
    Right, but when Spain, Brazil, or Italy, or any team that has consistently won international trophies over the years, need a goal against a stiffling team in the last 10 minutes, do they bring on a big lad and start lumping it in the box?
    no but they usually have quality world class players even on the bench to break teams down or come up with a bit of individual skill. We barely have 2 in our starting line-up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Roon-dog should play. He is still our best player.

Sterling on the bench, swap barkley for his position and stick rooney in the middle.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Sterling on the bench, swap barkley for his position and stick rooney in the middle.
    I wouldn't start Rooney. Hasn't delivered in any of the big tournaments (his actual performances have been poor) and tends to drop too deep all the time looking for the ball. Ends up distrupting the midfield.

Sturridge and Sterling ahead of Rooney for me as they have earnt their chance this year.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

I wouldn't start Rooney. Hasn't delivered in any of the big tournaments (his actual performances have been poor) and tends to drop too deep all the time looking for the ball. Ends up distrupting the midfield.

Sturridge and Sterling ahead of Rooney for me as they have earnt their chance this year.
    Euro 2004 he was our star player
  • Options

Dave2l said:

The one and only time he did have a good tournament when he was 17, 10 years ago. Not done anything since at Inernational level.

He can produce moments of magic but they are very few and far between, especially for England.
  • Options
    No real surprises with the squad, just about as good as we could do given the options available. Personally I'm not overkeen on Jones or Smalling and would have found a place for Lescott. Wouldn't have Cleverley in the standby squad either, possibly Huddleston instead. Overall though looks a decent squad. My team for the opening game:-

Barkley ---Gerrard----Henderson--Lallana

----------Sturridge---Rooney----------

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Eat the Chinese first and risk a crap "urgh I'm so full" performance, or let your Chinese go cold?
  • Options
    Exciting looking attacking line up full of players in form and with confidence.

Decent enough defensive line up in terms of first choice but be worried if we had to call on a Smalling or Jones as they haven't had good seasons.
  • Options
    Oh and Uncle Roy has the squad spot on, imho.

Won't help much though. Spain at 7-1 are the best bet.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

The one and only time he did have a good tournament when he was 17, 10 years ago. Not done anything since at Inernational level.

He can produce moments of magic but they are very few and far between, especially for England.
    Thats true, but end of the day he is still a high quality standard of player we might not be able to overlook.

He should be "fighting" for his place in the team tbh. Not garunteed.
  • Options
    People calling for Gareth Barry....lol. I still remember the German kids skipping away from him whilst he turned like the Woolwich Ferry. Lampard over him all day long.

I like the squad and I really like the team selected by Chris from Sidcup above...although I'd be tempted to put Wazza in for Barkley....he tends to drop deeper anyway so we might as well plan for that.