Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bear Grylls is a.........

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    rina said:

Saw this and thought it a bit unnecessary as well. Surely congratulate them on catching it, then free it and reward them with food instead of killing the poor thing.

Reward them with food that someone else has killed?
    Lol thought I might get that reply. Doesn't have to be meat. Just thought showing the whole thing was lacking in taste.
  • Options
    Did anyone whinge this much with kill it cook it eat it?
  • Options
    The process of the kill was quite horrible. The poor thing was tied up for ages until someone finally stuck a knife through its head.

Yes us humans have to eat and we get most our source of protein from animals but we should be big enough to identify the circumstance of when killing is unnecessary.

I'm a bit weird like that though, I whimped out swatting a fly with one possible perfect timing and shot. I missed on purpose as I unconsciously realised I didn't actually want it dead.
  • Options
    As long as it was eaten and not just killed for TV, then lobbed into a ditch, I personally can't see the problem here..............
  • Options
    It filled 13 very hungry tummies, that hadn't eaten anything more than a scorpion or handful of coconut each day for about a week. I didn't have a problem with it. It looked quite tasty and I haven't been starved! I wonder when they'll find the other one that was released and will it be bigger?
  • Options
    How much of a knob is that ginger long haired call centre bell end?

I hope the other cayman eats him in the next episode.
  • Options
    I watched his show last night and although I'm not usually offended by TV, I thought it was disgusting to kill a croc when it's just minding its own business, all in the name of entertainment. Awful television. Complaint to Ofcom anyone?
  • Options

I watched his show last night and although I'm not usually offended by TV, I thought it was disgusting to kill a croc when it's just minding its own business, all in the name of entertainment. Awful television

If the BBC/C4 showed a documentary about the day to day running of an abattoir would you be offended? Remember this show `The Island' isn't a game show....it's not like the viewing public get to vote people off and after a month they crown `King Of The Island'. It's probably nearer `educational' than `entertainment' television.
  • Options
    I love BG's programme, in fact I love all the survival programmes, I hope if I ever got stuck some of it would keep me alive.

I haven't seen this particular programme but normally they catch the animals and kill them quickly to avoid any suffering.

• Options
    The only issue for me was the length of time they kept it tied up before killing it. Should have killed it immediately but then they run the risk of it going off (like the fish did).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

what about the fish from the week before?

And those poor coconuts the nasty men smashed up.
    The way they just sliced the top off without stunning it....truly awful

you ever seen a documentary about African boys being circumcised?.
    That's truly awful.
  • Options
    Some comments here remind me of this.. http://youtu.be/sHqYKqqeHq4
  • Options

I watched his show last night and although I'm not usually offended by TV, I thought it was disgusting to kill a croc when it's just minding its own business, all in the name of entertainment. Awful television

If the BBC/C4 showed a documentary about the day to day running of an abattoir would you be offended? Remember this show `The Island' isn't a game show....it's not like the viewing public get to vote people off and after a month they crown `King Of The Island'. It's probably nearer `educational' than `entertainment' television.
    It's different though isn't it. Those animals are bred to be killed humanely.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Ever eaten crab, lobster or shell fish ? Would being boiled alive be humane ?
  • Options
    I eat meat and and yet consider myself very much an animal lover. I could no more hurt an animal as I could myself.

I accept that by nature I am designed to be an omnivore and being solely a vegetarian for me is not an option.

I realise that there is a certain level of hypocrisy in this stance. If at any point I had to kill my own prey rather than visit the meat counter I may feel the need to re evaluate my position.

What I don't like it gratuitous cruelty to any living creature. I didn't see the programme in question so reserve judgement but from reading this post I am slightly concerned that this was not necessary.

• Options

Right, so you haven't a problem with animals being killed but more to do with whos doing the killing yes?

As for your `humane' comment, did you actually see how the Caiman died in the tv show? Knife pushed hard and fast into the base of the brain....animal dead almost instantaneously.

Now have you ever seen how pigs and cows are slaughtered? Pigs are initially electrocuted to incapacitate them with a handheld clamp across the temples. Whilst twitching on the ground a hook on a conveyor belt is pierced through a rear leg and the animal is hoisted up into the air. Then its a quick knife cut though its throat/neck severing the main arteries so the blood flows downwards out of the animal. Death occurs between 30-60 seconds.

Cows on the other hand are sometimes done by a steel bolt fired from a gun into the brain. A more common and cost effective method is the animal is led into a type of rack where the head and neck are fixed in place. A large guillotine blade then cuts up and across its throat, again severing all main arteries so effectively the animal bleeds to death. I don't know how long it takes to die but its a big animal...
  • Options

I eat meat and and yet consider myself very much an animal lover. I could no more hurt an animal as I could myself.

I accept that by nature I am designed to be an omnivore and being solely a vegetarian for me is not an option.

I realise that there is a certain level of hypocrisy in this stance. If at any point I had to kill my own prey rather than visit the meat counter I may feel the need to re evaluate my position.

What I don't like it gratuitous cruelty to any living creature. I didn't see the programme in question so reserve judgement but from reading this post I am slightly concerned that this was not necessary.

Good post.

I think on similar lines. I love animals, but the most tasty food is animal.

Here's another thought certain insects are of course edible and can be very nutritious.

I would prefer eating the likes of that. After they've been cooked they would taste good.

I eat cooked worms yesterday...was nice!
  • Options
    Ate*
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Good post.

I think on similar lines. I love animals, but the most tasty food is animal.

Here's another thought certain insects are of course edible and can be very nutritious.

I would prefer eating the likes of that. After they've been cooked they would taste good.

Not if my wife cooked them ;0)

• Options

I eat meat and also consider myself an animal lover. However I understand that meat comes from animals that have to be killed, and I reckon as long as the animal is treated with respect and the person who has killed the animal knows why they have done it then I don't think there's a problem with it. I myself have killed an animal and while I can understand the hypocrisy I do think people need to be willing to get involved in the killing/skinning etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Suckling pig anyone?
  • Options

You been scratching ya arse again!??

Wierdest thing I have ever eaten was a bluetit. Bit Boney.. Was spitting feathers afterwards, tasted alright though a bit like a turkey drummer

I think it was wrong that they had that crock all shackled up, if they were going to eat it they should of done the mover on it straight away. They let it suffer by carrying it to it's death. Dirty bas****ds I say hand them over to WWF
  • Options
    Dress it up how you like, Bear Grylls you have to fake it to make it, total arsehole all done for the cameras and edited and to kill a baby croc for entrainment is just shamefull, man is a prick probably couldn't survive a night in bostall woods.
    Why people buy into edited tv is beyond me.
  • Options
    And as for jimmy nail...........fecker has alot to answer for
  • Options
    Isn't he ex SAS?

• Options

And as for jimmy nail...........fecker has alot to answer for

Are you telling me that, auf wiedersehen pet is slow baked pet?
  • Options

Dress it up how you like, Bear Grylls you have to fake it to make it, total arsehole all done for the cameras and edited and to kill a baby croc for entrainment is just shamefull, man is a prick probably couldn't survive a night in bostall woods.

I think he's been about a bit to be fair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls#Military_service
  • Options

You've not seen the show, have you?
  • Options

Dress it up how yvou like, Bear Grylls you have to fake it to make it, total arsehole all done for the cameras and edited and to kill a baby croc for entrainment is just shamefull, man is a prick probably couldn't survive a night in bostall woods.

You've not seen the show, have you?
    No
  • Options
    When young my grandad took me poaching we hunted everything from rabbit to otter

The rabbits we ate

The fox and otter we sold the fur

He then got me a job with the local butcher working at the cattle mart where I assisted him getting his pigs sheep and cattle into the trucks and back to the slaughter house

I can remember watching the bolt gun hit the animal between the eyes before they were bled out and hung

I even shot a few myself

It's life things get killed to be eaten why is it so shocking that a crocodile got killed to be eaten

If the croc had been killed and not eaten then I can understand it