Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Politics stuff

Comments

• Options
    SHG, I will be shit scared if labour get back in, things have just started to turn after 4 years hard work from the tories.
  • Options
    He must have it wrong then but that's what he said

More people across Europe voted for non favouring eu parties than what voted as a whole in 2009

Me I don't have a clue I watch read and listen

I think your right Steve there are real shoots of recovery out there I know a lot of self employed people spotting gaps in the market now and earning from them than in the last 3 years

There are more owner lorry drivers picking up work now than in the last 5 yrs
  • Options
    At the risk of starting a North/South discussion I'd like to say that those 'shoots of recovery' are still well and truly buried in the ground up here. Though to expect anything different under a Tory government would be the height of stupidity.
  • Options
    No green shoots on Shooters Hill that I can see.
  • Options

It's the only reason Dave has committed to an in / out referendum. Trying to stem the flow if euro skeptic Tories to UKIP. Not worked yet though has it.

You'd be surprised. Conservatives only lost 4% of the vote, whereas UKIP gained 18%. Clearly UKIP are picking up in others areas (5% of that being ex-BNP voters).
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    and your fecking Labour party did so much to close the north south divide and bring about a more equal society didnt they in their 13 years of burying England
  • Options

and your fecking Labour party did so much to close the north south divide

It's nice to see you praise Labour occasionally.
  • Options
    Bloke's got his numbers wrong, nla, probably deliberately so.
  • Options
    stalker come in the Lib mate ill give you my autograph
  • Options
    I've stated on here that I'm categorically not a Labour supporter. I was until I witnessed Blair destroy the party I believed in. Stated recently on here that I will never vote Labour again until every trace of that bastard's regime has gone or more than likely never again.

Green for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I said in an earlier post that next years election is almost impossible to predict because there are so many local variations in the multi party system.

The Newark By Election is the next electoral test and is big in terms of the momentum for UKIP in my view. If they win , I can see UKIP gaining some more seats next year as this will mean that they would have broken through in Westminster.

The fear for Labour will be only in a few places in the north like Grimsby where the high profile Euro sceptic and popular MP Austin Mitchell is standing down and Rotherham where the Europhile MP Dennis McShane gave UKIP an open goal with his expense claim misdemeanours . I could see a scenario here where Tory supporters might tactically support UKIP similar to the way Labour did for the Lib Dems in 1997. That said , I think on the whole I believe the Tories have much more to worry about with UKIP. When Labour supporters start to learn their other policies other than immigration in my view they will find them less attractive.
  • Options
    If that's aimed at me I'm not your stalker and I don't want your autograph thanks.
  • Options

It's the only reason Dave has committed to an in / out referendum. Trying to stem the flow if euro skeptic Tories to UKIP. Not worked yet though has it.

You'd be surprised. Conservatives only lost 4% of the vote, whereas UKIP gained 18%. Clearly UKIP are picking up in others areas (5% of that being ex-BNP voters).
    Plus some from old labour, lib dems and people who previously never intended to vote.

To say you vote UKIP you get Labour in is a complete myth.
  • Options

What I would like to see is (in no particular order) 1. Controlled immigration based on skill sets not here or in short supply. We can still help asylum seekers but this should have a more thorough check and a crime (convicted) automatically gets you deported 2. Reduce the ability for non nationals to purchase housing - many counties do not allow foreigners to own property. You should be working and contributing to the UK to be able to purchase.
    3. Tougher sentences for violent and sexual crimes.
    4. Maximum tax of 20% but increase NI to 15%.
    5. Free university places for all, however toughen up the current entry requirements and stop dumbing down te tests.
    6. Europe stay in but needs to be redefined, current system doesn't work. Get rid of MEP's it's just a gravy train. Responsibility to fall back to the countries own parliaments.
    7. Increase spending on military, stop reducing the amount of soldiers.

I could go on, but give me a party that does that and I will vote for them
  • Options

I've stated on here that I'm categorically not a Labour supporter. I was until I witnessed Blair destroy the party I believed in. Stated recently on here that I will never vote Labour again until every trace of that bastard's regime has gone or more than likely never again.

Green for me.

The Greens are worst than Labour, I remember Caroline Lucas once said we should give the Falklands to Argentina.
  • Options
    Anti Fracking is the big negative for me with The Greens.

It's really going to turn our economy around and ensure the lights don't go out over the next thirty years.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

It's really going to turn our economy around and ensure the lights don't go out over the next thirty years.

I don't know about the UK, but in Australia the Greens are far more left wing than the Labor Party. They would be quite happy to close down all industry and want to open the borders for all who want to live here. They have no concept of managing debt and believe in throwing money at everything. They were very influential in Tasmania and turned that state into a basket case. I'm told their manifesto is based on the European Communist Party. Anyone who is taken in by their seemingly very noble environmental views, is very mistaken and would be voting for a dangerous Party.

• Options
    IA said:

Without wanting to get in to the whole for/against arguments, the EU parliament isn't massively expensive, it costs less to run than derby county council for example.

Hoiking the whole thing from Strasbourg to Brussels and back every couple of weeks isn't expensive? Paying the expenses of MPs coming from Riga to Brussels is cheaper than getting from Heanor to Derby? Can you explain please Andy?
    Derby Council (not sure if City or County is being discussed) actually does things other than run a parliament. If the European Parliament fixed the roads, collected the rubbish, ran local services, set up local tourism events etc, it would be a lot more expensive to run.
    I strongly suspected we were not comparing like for like there...

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

The election last night has actually proved a promising future. Not only UKIP have won it but you have other Eurosceptic groups throughout Europe picking up seats and that will certainly be a start of slowly towards the end of the EU which can only be a good thing.

200 Eurosceptic wins out of 740 results declared so far.

Which is more than the 2009 European election....
    Why would that "be a start of slowly towards the end of the EU"? At the next election there might only be 100 MEPs on the Eurosceptic side? Most people are not sheep, they are not going to go "Oh look - it's trending to be a right wing reactionary, so I'm going to be one too...".

A sizeable chunk of voters voted for non euro sceptic parties, I see no reason why they would all suddenly change their minds?
  • Options
    For 2014/15 the Derbeyshire County Council has a net budget requirement of £511.4m.

The European Council budget for 2014 is €534.2 million - which is about £450m.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interestingly, the You Gov polls are showing an increase in support for the EU. It is trending upwards. This was a protest vote, although I am in no doubt that xenophobia played a large part. None of the mainstream parties will leave the EU but the European wide anti EU vote will see changes being made by Merkel & Co. Immigration has become a Pan European issue as has austerity. Never ever underestimate the capacity of Capitalism to adapt and survive!
  • Options

Interestingly, the You Gov polls are showing an increase in support for the EU. It is trending upwards. This was a protest vote, although I am in no doubt that xenophobia played a large part. None of the mainstream parties will leave the EU but the European wide anti EU vote will see changes being made by Merkel & Co. Immigration has become a Pan European issue as has austerity. Never ever underestimate the capacity of Capitalism to adapt and survive!

Or politicians to twist words, go back on promises, make new promises, lie, cheat or do anything that's needed to keep them in office or gain power.

• Options
    The last politician who made promises and kept them was La Dame du Fer. Shame that she destroyed our industrial base in the process!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

For 2014/15 the Derbeyshire County Council has a net budget requirement of £511.4m.

The European Council budget for 2014 is €534.2 million - which is about £450m.

Very interesting.

Now, how much does it cost to run Derby council?

Not the lighting, street cleaning, rubbish collection etc - just the day to day running of the council offices (not including those that work there in the cleansing, tourism etc departments - just the ones who deal with the business of actual council meetings and council business), councillors expenses and the odd "fact finding mission". Then we can compare like for like.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

The last politician who made promises and kept them was La Dame du Fer. Shame that she destroyed our industrial base in the process!

She simply stopped propping up the loss-making parts of it with taxpayers' money.
  • Options
    well sorry for you right on Gardianistas but dear old Tony (the traitor) Blair dont like UKIP says they are all wrong uns -------------thats fecked you all then hasnt it as Blair slagging em off will triple their vote !
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Source?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Source?
    There's this nifty new thing called Google.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Source?
    There's this nifty new thing called Google.
    Which bit.

That the Greens are anti fracking?

or

That fracking is “really going to turn our economy around and ensure the lights don't go out over the next thirty years”?

The first is common knowledge – the arrest of their one MP on an anti fracking demonstration was all over the media.

But if you’ve found a serious study that supports your second point (via Google or otherwise) I’d be interested in a link to it?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Leuth said:

Addickted said:

Source?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27535509

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27531601