Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Politics stuff

Comments

• Options
    UKIP winning most seats with two regions to go
  • Options
    seth plum said:

On the wireless today I heard that Michael Gove wants to reduce the amount of American literature in GCSE English exams, works such as 'The Catcher in the Rye', 'the Crucible', and a particular one that pisses him off 'Of Mice and Men'. he wants study of those works replaced with more 'home grown' works written in English.
    Leaving out the ins and outs for a moment, we have a politician saying 'I want it to be a certain way, let it be so', presumably because the thought line goes something like 'I am the minister, so whatever I think must be right, the voters have empowered me, ha!'
    Gove also decided that because the Chinese up to a certain age and point are 'better' at Mathematics, so he would send a team out there to study the mathematics teaching methods in China. He completely missed the point (as covered some years ago in a London University study) that by simply speaking number in Mandarin a huge amount of rudimentary arithmetic is automatically 'done' embedded as it is in the Chinese language. He however ignores the evidence and rides his self-perceived omnipotence.
    He has done the same with Free Schools, and wants PHd's to teach Science and Maths because they are good at it, never mind if they're no good at teaching it.
    I write all this, not because he is a Tory, but because he is a politician. Loads get elected and their reality seems a world away from mine, and from (un)common sense. As a result, all kinds of politicians swan around making stuff up off the top of their heads which we then have to endure.
    There is a (to use the buzz word) disconnect between how ordinary folk experience life and the high echelons of many of those in power. Flailing around, the ordinary folk look for something else, be it UKIP, or in Italy where the internet enabled a stand up comedian to be elected.
    As I grew up you had a good chance to feel involved. You could get active in your Union, or local political party, or Rotary club or whatever. You had demonstrations, left and right wing publications, and somehow you felt you could influence stuff.
    Nowadays I look at the political landscape and despair, it is so distant and so bleak.
    Going on the march for Lewisham Hospital stands out for me in recent memory as a reminder of the times when the people felt they mattered and could be acknowledged, and horrifically others got a similar feeling when participating in the London riots.
    Michael Gove is state school, not Dulwich College, not a Bellenden (?) Oxford toff, but he feels so alien to me as an example of the political animal, but so much in tune with his fellow politicians of all colours. I am getting sick of them all, last Thursday I voted National health and Green because mainstream seems so other these days.

Good post.

The head of the reform said that Gove "had a particular dislike for Of Mice And Men and was disappointed that more than 90% of students were studying it." Did he really remove a book from curriculum because he doesn't like it?

I don't get why it matters where a book is based, or the nationality of who wrote it. Kids are supposed to be studying literature, not Nationalism 101.
  • Options
    Seth said, amongst other excellent points, 'nowadays I look at the political landscape and despair, it is so distant and so bleak.' Take some comfort Seth, at least London's still calling. I am in France, in the deepest South. Just down the road is a man, Le Pen, who represents the party that has won the election. One of his ideas is to solve the immigration problem by culling overpopulated areas using the Ebolavirus.
  • Options
    The best combover since Bobby Charlton and Ralph Coates goes to the returning officer for the north west in the European elections last night
  • Options
    @Leuth and @Seth Plum. I really agree with your last few posts but would add that it is the party system that I believe is the root of many a problem in our (any?) political system. I have worked with politicians and there really are good and bad across all parties (and some purely in it for themselves).
    As I have matured I have tried to view politicians as individuals and to vote for them on an individual basis, the problem with this is that I you get the whole party and the whole party system when you do this.

• Options
    Well, yes. Ideally decisions would be made by a coalition of all elected representatives. The notion of putting one party in charge & giving executive power to a very narrow clique is elitist and reeks of the old Empire-building attitude whereby it isn't enough to govern; one must also crush. The war to hold power thus becomes the priority, and this is reflected in policy, rhetoric and the psychotic egotists who make it to Cabinet by 'playing the game' with the nation's wellbeing. The lamentable media is complicit; the lobbying corporations are the beneficiaries.
  • Options
    Surely the fact so many of the larger nations in Europe voting for parties that want out of Europe and no euro the time has come to say we tried and we failed

Now it puts a real decision in the hands of those who want a say on being in or out

If you want out then only a vote for Tory will give you that right

Even if you disagree with so much of what they do and say

Now if all the other parties offer that maybe you will get the best party in charge for the right reasons

• Options
    Sometimes I think 'The Thick Of It' was much more a documentary than a comedy show.
    Personally I like the idea that a person from my area, Lee, would assume some kind of power to best represent Lee rather than to represent Blue or Red or Yellow, or Purple or Green, and focus on stuff that may benefit our lives here in SE London.
    I am not anti ideology but I am anti gaining power for powers sake.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    But NLA how many people across Europe as a percentage of the whole population/electorate voted for parties with an anti EU agenda?

I can't be arsed to look it up but if UKIP got 25% of a 40% turnout isn't that only 10% of the population electorate of the UK?
  • Options
    There was a professor from Strathclyde University on the telly who said that actually national support for UKIP was 14%, and in order to get seats in Parliament they need to target places in the East of the country rather than spread their efforts too thinly and get nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Surely the fact so many of the larger nations in Europe voting for parties that want out of Europe and no euro the time has come to say we tried and we failed

Now it puts a real decision in the hands of those who want a say on being in or out

Now if all the other parties offer that maybe you will get the best party in charge for the right reasons

Only if you think membership of the EU is the most important issue AND you believe Cameron this time following his promises in the last election.

I'd be wary about the section in bold. That statistic would include Sinn Fein in Ireland who made big gains, but Sinn Fein are on the opposite side of the spectrum to UKIP. Both Eurosceptic, but for different reasons. And in both cases, national politics has been a big factor (not just the European question).
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Looking at the projected results on the BBC website, that isn't true though mate.

In France 24 seats out of 74 (will) have gone to the parties that want out
    Germany 12 out of 96
    Spain 13 out of 54
    Italy 25 out of 73
    Poland 23 out of 51
    Romania 0 out of 32

Only in the jolly old UK have we a majority of people apparently in favour of going it alone with 46 of 73 going that way...

Overall 182 out of 751 seats (will) have gone to strictly Eurosceptic parties.

The good thing to come out of all this is that I will be exercising my right to vote next year in the general election for the first time since I moved abroad. Previously I have thought it a bit rich voting for a government in a country I no longer live in - although some decisions affect me, most don't, so I thought it only fair not to interfere. Over the years I have gone from Tory Boy to pretty left wing as I have learnt more and seen more of how the "elite" go about their business, I have always been reasonably comfortable because I was blessed with reasonable intelligence and a little guile. I appreciated that others have not, and so before I moved here I was very much a Labour voter, being less intelligent shouldn't mean you are exploited by the more intelligent in my opinion.

Now for the first time, thanks to the rise of UKIP I am forced into a position where I have to think about myself first. Withdrawal from the EU could turn my life upside down, and I don't want that. A million or so other EU based ex-pats will probably feel the same, along with who-knows-how-many more hundreds of thousands with holiday homes in warmer climes, many of whom have dreamed of retiring to them one day. Many of those ex-pats are also natural Conservatives, and have probably been exercising their right to vote (Tory) for sometime, unless they are very stupid, the least they should do is abstain.

As things stand I will be forced to vote tactically, and that will mean voting Labour as things stand (I lost faith in those self serving b******s some time ago too - as with all mainstream politicians). Of course a lot will depend on what happens between now and then and where the parties will position themselves in the light of the latest election results.

We live in interesting times...
  • Options
    In some countries, turnout was as low as 13%. I'd be very cautious of using results from such an election to say what the public as a whole think.
  • Options
    I have never been happy with the idea that European bureaucrats decide our laws. Against that is my lack of understanding of the financial consequences of leaving. How many people truly understand the actual issues that they are voting for? I don't think that the politicians truly understand either. How can any of us can genuinely claim that they are informed on the issues involved? The profound level of ignorance deeply worries me.
  • Options
    IA said:

In some countries, turnout was as low as 13%. I'd be very cautious of using results from such an election to say what the public as a whole think.

Such a low turnout does say what the public as a whole think - that the European Parliament is not important enough to come out and vote for!
  • Options

IA said:

Such a low turnout does say what the public as a whole think - that the European Parliament is not important enough to come out and vote for!
    If you're right, it's still a huge jump from saying that to saying that they think the EU as a whole is not worth staying in. Or that the 5% or 6% who voted for the biggest party represent their views.

46 out of 73 UK seats in favour of leaving the EU?? Are the Tories looking to leave the EU now? Cameron doesn't want to.
  • Options

IA said:

You're probably right - and good evidence for that is that probably even today after the vote and it's been splashed all over the TV screens and papers - while I suspect that the majority of people could name their MP and UK parliamentary constituency - I wonder what proportion know the name of their euro constituency and MEPs?

• Options
    IA said:

IA said:

If you're right, it's still a huge jump from saying that to saying that they think the EU as a whole is not worth staying in. Or that the 5% or 6% who voted for the biggest party represent their views.

46 out of 73 UK seats in favour of leaving the EU?? Are the Tories looking to leave the EU now? Cameron doesn't want to.
    I didn't want to be accused of exaggerating my point IA, if you make one tiny mistake people who disagree with you leap on that one point and the rest of your argument is ignored (we have all done it...). I was going by the BBC assessment of the various groups in the European Parliament, and the Con (which our Tories are deemed to belong to, rightly or wrongly), EDF and Other parties are considered the Eurosceptics.
  • Options
    Benjamin Disraeli - perhaps getting a hat is the way to do it ?
  • Options
    On the beeb the fella said that 1 in 3 is now anti membership in the European house

I accept that the turn out was low but if being in the European Parliament was important to the people of this country people would've voted for parties to stay in

It's a nonsense I accept that as this is just a protest vote a disenchanted shot across the skyline for the main parties and Ukip will never make a change in the political landscape

But it just makes the whole of British politics not fit for purpose
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014

On the beeb the fella said that 1 in 3 is now anti membership in the European house

I accept that the turn out was low but if being in the European Parliament was important to the people of this country people would've voted for parties to stay in

It's a nonsense I accept that as this is just a protest vote a disenchanted shot across the skyline for the main parties and Ukip will never make a change in the political landscape

I think it might be quite a while before we see a return to majority governments in this country. Is that a bad thing ? I'm not sure. Coalition is commonplace in many countries. It's just not what we are used to.

• Options

That's still a minority though mate?

I agree with your last statement 100%.
  • Options

IA said:

IA said:

I didn't want to be accused of exaggerating my point IA, if you make one tiny mistake people who disagree with you leap on that one point and the rest of your argument is ignored (we have all done it...). I was going by the BBC assessment of the various groups in the European Parliament, and the Con (which our Tories are deemed to belong to, rightly or wrongly), EDF and Other parties are considered the Eurosceptics.
    Sorry, wasn't meaning to distract from your main argument. What are the rules on European citizens living in the UK? Do they have a right to vote in Parliament elections? If so, I wonder if they would be similarly motivated.

While I don't have a personal problem with your desire to vote, would that not be electoral fraud if you don't live at the registered address?

Again, I'll make the point. I don't think the European Parliament is a worthwhile institution. I don't like it, I think it's far too vulnerable to expenses fraud, is far too removed from local/national politics, and I don't care what political grouping holds the power within that organisation. It's a stepping-stone at most. I expect most of the winners in this week's elections to run for MP, and if any of them get in, they'll be replaced in Brussels by some no-marks. But there is an enormous jump from saying the above to saying that I don't think the EU is a worthwhile institution.
  • Options
    Really are clutching at straws aint u----it was the low turn out that meant UKIP smashed it----funny i dont remember Labour --Libs etc saying that with an even lower turn out last time------pathetic
  • Options
    I don't know about the voting rights of non UK subjects living in the UK, but I know as a UK subject living abroad I am entitled to vote in UK elections as long as I was registered to vote there within the last 15 years.

I think the EU parliament is a huge waste of money too.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Without wanting to get in to the whole for/against arguments, the EU parliament isn't massively expensive, it costs less to run than derby county council for example.
  • Options
    The Tories have no intention of leaving Europe!
  • Options

Really are clutching at straws aint u----it was the low turn out that meant UKIP smashed it----funny i dont remember Labour --Libs etc saying that with an even lower turn out last time------pathetic

What I genuinely don't get is why you would vote for anyone who can't be bothered to turn up for the voting. MEP z's get £72000 but attendance figures range from 20% to 50%. Given that you don't like lazy feckers, why are you supporting them?
  • Options
    boggzy said:

The Tories have no intention of leaving Europe!

Hague proved this last night, kept saying how the relationship with the EU could be mended, and our position within it will be strengthened. Hardly mentioned a referendum. Seems no matter how you vote, politicians will just continue to do what they want as opposed to what the people want.

• Options
    The 3 "mainstream" parties' share of the vote was 56.2% in aggregate.
    On a 33.8% turnout that means that fewer than 1 in 5 of the electorate (18.99% to be precise) voted for the 3 "mainstream" parties COMBINED.
    What a shower.