Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Belgian) Bob Peeters *CONFIRMED New Head Coach (pg 37)*

Comments

• Options

Whatever any of us might think about Duchatelet, he deserves credit for having the courage to make tough and/or bold decisions.

Appointing Jose Riga on a permanent basis would be the easy thing to do. A popular and low risk decision. The one most people would make. However, Duchatelet is clearly aiming higher. That's not to suggest he'll succeed, but I'll bet his ambition is to find the next Roberto Martinez or Brendan Rodgers rather than appoint another Powell or Riga.

Let's hope he succeeds. If we're going to make the Premier League, without spending big money and in the face of competition from the parachute payment brigade, we're going to need a Manager of real quality, an innovator, who'll add real value to the squad he's given. That's not Powell and Duchatelet appears to think its not Riga either.

It may be risky, but what's the realistic alternative?

PS Both Martinez and Rodgers were completely unproven when they got their first managerial appointments. Martinez was an instant hit while Rodgers stuttered at first, but somebody had the foresight to spot their outstanding talent.

Surely every manager is unproven when they get their first managerial appointment. That makes no sense.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    I know that Bob seems to be the more unusual choice as head coach but we can look at the positives here. On the face of it Bob may be unproven in football management. He knows a thing or two about construction. That will be very helpful in the current rebuilding phase of the club. It definitely looks as the Charlton will need to be built from the foundations, with the previous house being torn down to the ground. He is well used to demanding and difficult owners of houses with difficult contracts. He will be great in using the low cost material he will be expected to work with. Everyone speaks well of him and he is a decent bloke. Nice to animals too. Definitely got transferable management skills and is used to overcoming setbacks and perservering to the end. Can we rely on him to fix it ? I think we know the answer to that one !
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
  • Options

why do people think because he wants a job in england it means he is going to get ours, he probably wants Fulham or something

he was said to be on Roly's list before Riga come in.
    By whom?
    Was on here. Weather true or not who knows
  • Options

Whatever any of us might think about Duchatelet, he deserves credit for having the courage to make tough and/or bold decisions.

Appointing Jose Riga on a permanent basis would be the easy thing to do. A popular and low risk decision. The one most people would make. However, Duchatelet is clearly aiming higher. That's not to suggest he'll succeed, but I'll bet his ambition is to find the next Roberto Martinez or Brendan Rodgers rather than appoint another Powell or Riga.

Let's hope he succeeds. If we're going to make the Premier League, without spending big money and in the face of competition from the parachute payment brigade, we're going to need a Manager of real quality, an innovator, who'll add real value to the squad he's given. That's not Powell and Duchatelet appears to think its not Riga either.

It may be risky, but what's the realistic alternative?

PS Both Martinez and Rodgers were completely unproven when they got their first managerial appointments. Martinez was an instant hit while Rodgers stuttered at first, but somebody had the foresight to spot their outstanding talent.

Surely every manager is unproven when they get their first managerial appointment. That makes no sense.

Including SCP

• Options
    So far Duchatelet has made good decisions when seen in retrospect and hopefully a new coach will be another good decision. The main decision however from now on is how do we rebuild the team/squad. From a rational business-like approach you need good operatives at the coal face to find you that gold and you cant hang around waiting for them to apply; you have to go out and get them quick before someone else does.
  • Options
    You need someone to take them out the coal mine and take them to the gold mine if you want them to find gold john.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

At the end of the day we to make sure we comply with FFP break-even requirements, Bob is probaly fairly cheap there are some good reports coming out from Belgium regarding his coaching skills so until i actually see the team perform he has my 100% support.

Yann take no notice this is Charlton, 25% of our support are muppets anyway :-/

Indeed. 25% is probably the correct figure for CAFC fans who have just voted for a party whose policies would render RD's entire project impractical.

@PragueAddick‌ I hope to see you at Rotherham next season, home of McShane, whoops UKIP :--((
  • Options
    All will become clear in the fullness of time....

Or not.
  • Options

Why has all this taken so long?
    The decision to dump Riga must have been made pretty much after he started if you look at the circumstances.
    And where Peeters is concerned I'm pretty sure a compensation package could've been sorted out in ten minutes weeks ago. He's hardly at one of world footballs galacticos!
    I don't get it?

Two parties disagree on the value of an employee. It's not that hard to understand.
  • Options
    RD could save himself some compensation by appointing Riga. Bet he hasn't thought of that!
  • Options
    Indeed that and Reza/ Polish Pete suggest he is willing to splash cash in certain curcumstances apply. Admittedly not enormous sums tho.
  • Options
    razil said:

Indeed that and Reza/ Polish Pete suggest he is willing to splash cash in certain curcumstances apply. Admittedly not enormous sums tho.

I doubt any cash was splashed on Reza as he moved from Liege.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

So far Duchatelet has made good decisions when seen in retrospect and hopefully a new coach will be another good decision. The main decision however from now on is how do we rebuild the team/squad. From a rational business-like approach you need good operatives at the coal face to find you that gold and you cant hang around waiting for them to apply; you have to go out and get them quick before someone else does.

I agree. He has made some good decisions particularly around the training ground and pitch.

However, the current concern for me (and one that is increasing) is that he made some awful decisions re players. I still believe getting rid of Stephens and Kermorgant was an error and those he bought in such as Thuram, Nego and Reza, plus the strange signing of Piotr did little to fill me with confidence.

Now we have lost Hamer and it seems likely that Dervite is also off. We have a threadbare squad and report back for pre season in a month. RD appears to like a hands on role in the signings made. What examples since he took over are there of him having a good eye for a player?
  • Options

razil said:

300k ?

• Options

I agree. He has made some good decisions particularly around the training ground and pitch.

However, the current concern for me (and one that is increasing) is that he made some awful decisions re players. I still believe getting rid of Stephens and Kermorgant was an error and those he bought in such as Thuram, Nego and Reza, plus the strange signing of Piotr did little to fill me with confidence.

Now we have lost Hamer and it seems likely that Dervite is also off. We have a threadbare squad and report back for pre season in a month. RD appears to like a hands on role in the signings made. What examples since he took over are there of him having a good eye for a player?
    Not sure where your evidence is for the RD hands on role in choosing players is ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure where your evidence is for the RD hands on role in choosing players is ?

I only wrote it 'appears' to be the case. I think Powell said that when RD arrived he came with a list of players he could get in quickly. I don't really believe that if anyone else had taken us over we would have signed Reza, Thuram and Nego and to some extent AA?
  • Options

Depends what you mean by "choosing". Beyond reasonable doubt we know that those players who came in January were foisted upon CP. If RD was not driving it, who was? As you know, we are trying hard to find out, so far without any success. I am sure RD did not personally watch PP before he was signed and sent over here. Did Phil Chapple? We don't know.

• Options
    edited May 2014

razil said:

300k ?

So Roland paid himself? Where is this 300k figure from?
  • Options

Depends what you mean by "choosing". Beyond reasonable doubt we know that those players who came in January were foisted upon CP. If RD was not driving it, who was? As you know, we are trying hard to find out, so far without any success. I am sure RD did not personally watch PP before he was signed and sent over here. Did Phil Chapple? We don't know.

Agree that it's obvious that when RD took over he came with a list of players that could bolster the squad straight away because they were "network" players who could arrive within days.

My view is that in January RD was not prepared to spend much cash in bolstering CP's faltering team and as admitted brought in players that with hindsight were not good enough. Still not sure why anyone would assume that RD is doing the scouting.

• Options

Agree that it's obvious that when RD took over he came with a list of players that could bolster the squad straight away because they were "network" players who could arrive within days.

My view is that in January RD was not prepared to spend much cash in bolstering CP's faltering team and as admitted brought in players that with hindsight were not good enough. Still not sure why anyone would assume that RD is doing the scouting.

i can garantuee you guys RD does not do the scouting of players himself. If he would do that you guys would be garantueed a place in the conference in erm let's say within 4 seasons from now :)

• Options
    byl said:

i can garantuee you guys RD does not do the scouting of players himself. If he would do that you guys would be garantueed a place in the conference in erm let's say within 4 seasons from now :)

Which of course raises the question of who does advise on what players to bring in - I think we can be pretty sure from our experience at Charlton (plus the relatively high turnover of coaches at Liege) that it's not the head coach/manager at the club....?

• Options
    I'm not sure people assume RD does the scouting. That would be a naive thought.

I do believe, however, that the input he has into the relative merits of each player is beyond that of other owners and he may feel he has superior knowledge of players within his network.

I know he has apologised (did he do this himself of through KM?) But part of being genuinely sorry means you won't repeat the mistake. We shall see.

• Options
    Dudu Dahan is one, Fraeye is another. I am assuming there are many other 'Fraeye's' around Europe.
  • Options

JFH Is not going to be our head coach ? its not even a rumour so why are we talking about it?

It is a rumour because we are discussing it. It may not be a rumour of substance, but it's a rumour none the less.
    This thread is about bob peeter ..

And It is not a rumour somone just mentioned it on here .. And everyone jumped to conclusions yet again
  • Options
    so nothing new then?