Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Belgian) Bob Peeters *CONFIRMED New Head Coach (pg 37)*

Comments

• Options

vff said:

vff said:

Does anyone else think it's all rather insulting to brand every person RD employs as a sycophantic, yes man with no mind of his own and no pride in their own ability or profession ?

It would seem from the information we have gleaned from byl and others that Bob Peeters is highly regarded in his own country. Please explain to me why any coach would take a job where he does not pick the team pretty much ensuring abject failure and the sack which would irrevocably tarnish his reputation and future career prospects ?
    Duchatelet is a hugely successful business man and I am certain that he only employs people in senior roles that are good at their job and have the balls to stand their ground.

It's obvious that RD is not your usual football club owner but this continual character assignation of every prospective RD appointment ( including Riga) does this site and Charlton supporters no credit.

I await the abuse for being a Duchatalista which I am not.

It is more about status. Powell and Riga had status. Riga particularly so, after doing such a great job and keeping Charlton up. Remember, he did it by playing the network players relating to their skill level and fitness. The best performance was against Watford with no network players in evidence. Thuram got no change as first team goalkeeper, which is why Thuram threw his toys out of the pram (if they were thrown at him, he would not have been able to catch them).

Peeters may not be a yes man, and out of respect to SHG, I will hold off on the Nodding dog dogcilla / Churchill reference. What he does not have is a great status at this time. Not status sufficiently to resist Roland / unnamed football advisor's recommendations for players for the club. Roland has what he wants, a coach of reported talent but not enough status to oppose his decisions and strategy for the club.
    Very perceptive, and a very good point indeed.
    Still profession suicide in playing players not good enough. Getting relegated, getting the sack and looking incompetent and sycophantic to any prospective future employer.

Not saying it is an easy gig. Neither is being a Charlton supporter. It appears as though Bob Peeters will take the job in any case. We will see what kind of team runs out in August 14.
    The season starts on August 9th
    Elfsborg Addick what is wrong with you ? August 2014 !!!! FFS.
  • Options
    vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

Does anyone else think it's all rather insulting to brand every person RD employs as a sycophantic, yes man with no mind of his own and no pride in their own ability or profession ?

It would seem from the information we have gleaned from byl and others that Bob Peeters is highly regarded in his own country. Please explain to me why any coach would take a job where he does not pick the team pretty much ensuring abject failure and the sack which would irrevocably tarnish his reputation and future career prospects ?
    Duchatelet is a hugely successful business man and I am certain that he only employs people in senior roles that are good at their job and have the balls to stand their ground.

It's obvious that RD is not your usual football club owner but this continual character assignation of every prospective RD appointment ( including Riga) does this site and Charlton supporters no credit.

It is more about status. Powell and Riga had status. Riga particularly so, after doing such a great job and keeping Charlton up. Remember, he did it by playing the network players relating to their skill level and fitness. The best performance was against Watford with no network players in evidence. Thuram got no change as first team goalkeeper, which is why Thuram threw his toys out of the pram (if they were thrown at him, he would not have been able to catch them).

Peeters may not be a yes man, and out of respect to SHG, I will hold off on the Nodding dog dogcilla / Churchill reference. What he does not have is a great status at this time. Not status sufficiently to resist Roland / unnamed football advisor's recommendations for players for the club. Roland has what he wants, a coach of reported talent but not enough status to oppose his decisions and strategy for the club.
    Still profession suicide in playing players not good enough. Getting relegated, getting the sack and looking incompetent and sycophantic to any prospective future employer.

Not saying it is an easy gig. Neither is being a Charlton supporter. It appears as though Bob Peeters will take the job in any case. We will see what kind of team runs out in August 14.
    Don't know if you are winding me up(I am known to be gullible) but the 14th is on a Thursday
  • Options
    @vff‌

I very much share your skepticism about the network strategy. Many more businesses search, desperately, for synergies than find them. Moreover, there is a quaintness and eccentricity about Duchatelet which doesn't really inspire confidence.

He's clearly going to do it his way though and, as you rightly point out, we have no evidence yet that he and his advisors have the skill and judgement to succeed. They had certainly badly underestimated the level of the Championship when they arrived.

However, though he'll clearly want to appoint a Head Coach who will implement his strategy, we have no real evidence either that he imposes day-to-day decisions on the person in that role. Riga certainly did his own thing.

Ujpest and Alcorcon have, between them, some seven players on loan from the network (one from SInt-Truiden and six from Standard). As far as I can tell only four of those have made first team appearances and only one seems to play anything like regularly.

There may well be quite a lot to worry about, but a network of Yes men probably isn't one of them.
  • Options
    Successful businessmen tend to have a strategy, these strategies are fluid and tend to evolve, sometimes from the ridiculous to the successful. Riga as part of that strategy only came in on a temporary basis and from the beginning was never touted as the long term incumbent. Maybe RD ws seduced by the relegation avoidance to change his strategy, but after the adrenalin rush returned to type and went back to his original strategy which was brining in Bob.

Just a hypothesis!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Successful businessmen tend to have a strategy, these strategies are fluid and tend to evolve, sometimes from the ridiculous to the successful. Riga as part of that strategy only came in on a temporary basis and from the beginning was never touted as the long term incumbent. Maybe RD ws seduced by the relegation avoidance to change his strategy, but after the adrenalin rush returned to type and went back to his original strategy which was brining in Bob.

Just a hypothesis!

Fair enough, but to me the strategy of bringing in coaches/players with extremely limited experience and at levels way beneath The Championship anyway is the most concerning thing!

• Options

Kap10 said:

Just a hypothesis!

Fair enough, but to me the strategy of bringing in coaches/players with extremely limited experience and at levels way beneath The Championship anyway is the most concerning thing!
    You can argue from both sides really, bringing in experienced championship managers means that you are tending to bring in managers who have already been sacked at this level. I know it's an extreme but Gary Megson is extremely experienced but I would not want him. Curbs had no managerial experience at this level but did have as a player. Lennie had no managerial experience but did have coaching experience albeit limited at this level. bob has limited managerial experience but not at this level but has limited experience of playing at this level.

Not that we have any influence and it is going to be a case of "watch and see". Let's face it we've only had about one settled close season in the last nine or ten years it would not be Charlton if we were all at ease and happy.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

Don't know if you are winding me up(I am known to be gullible) but the 14th is on a Thursday
    I said in August 14 (year 2014), which indicates the month, and I wasn't being specific to the day. If I was, I would have said on August 14 indicating that precise day. Capiche ?

Thanks very much for confirming the start date of the season for everybody in any case. I am sure that was helpful for all.
  • Options

@vff‌

I very much share your skepticism about the network strategy. Many more businesses search, desperately, for synergies than find them. Moreover, there is a quaintness and eccentricity about Duchatelet which doesn't really inspire confidence.

He's clearly going to do it his way though and, as you rightly point out, we have no evidence yet that he and his advisors have the skill and judgement to succeed. They had certainly badly underestimated the level of the Championship when they arrived.

However, though he'll clearly want to appoint a Head Coach who will implement his strategy, we have no real evidence either that he imposes day-to-day decisions on the person in that role. Riga certainly did his own thing.

Ujpest and Alcorcon have, between them, some seven players on loan from the network (one from SInt-Truiden and six from Standard). As far as I can tell only four of those have made first team appearances and only one seems to play anything like regularly.

There may well be quite a lot to worry about, but a network of Yes men probably isn't one of them.

Thanks Mundell, don't think I said that Peeters was a 'yes man' just that Peeters lacks status but I appreciate your considered response.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    Anyway. I promised not to get in too many of these debates. So here is an animotronic dog that bares a passing resembalnce to Derek Hales in his top goal scoring glory days. Slightly more hair on this one, and lacking the killer instinct admittidely.

(With apologies to the legend Derek Hales btw, who was a superb player for the club).

(I promise to lay off the dog animatronics. I did have a great one for the manager contract negotiation but it would have upset a few, so didn't post. Better though, I have got a great one for a dog that probably belongs to a millwall supporter, I will load it only if requested. It is a bit scary, I warn you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yya8TaaDV9A

• Options
    vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

I said in August 14 (year 2014), which indicates the month, and I wasn't being specific to the day. If I was, I would have said on August 14 indicating that precise day. Capiche ?

Thanks very much for confirming the start date of the season for everybody in any case. I am sure that was helpful for all.
    Righto
  • Options
    @RichCawleySLP: Just a matter of time until Bob Peeters confirmed as #cafc head coach. Third man in charge of Addicks since Roland Duchatelet bought club.
  • Options

@RichCawleySLP: Just a matter of time until Bob Peeters confirmed as #cafc head coach. Third man in charge of Addicks since Roland Duchatelet bought club.

Good point from Cawley - although I assume he's using the words "in charge" somewhat loosely....

• Options
    Nothing we didn't already know, but...

Peeters incoming at Charlton
    Monday, 26 May 2014

By Richard Cawley
    CHARLTON are set to announce Bob Peeters as their new head coach this week - succeeding Jose Riga in the Valley hotseat.
    The former Millwall striker moved a step closer to joining the Addicks when he resigned from his role in charge of Waasland-Beveren.
    And Peeters is poised to become the third boss to work under owner Roland Duchatelet since he bought the club midway through last season.
    The 40-year-old played for Vitesse Arnhem before joining Millwall in 2003. He spent two injury-plagued seasons with the Lions before moving on to Racing Genk in 2005.
    Peeters was capped 13 times by Belgium.
    He began his managerial career at Cercle Brugge before moving on the Gent in 2012.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=17388
  • Options
    Bob peeters lets see who he brings in being the household name he is , honestly bewilders me wot is happening at our club just hope RD knows wot he is doing , cant say im gonna be happy with peeters appointment , just have to get behind the team and wait and see wot unfolds.
  • Options
    Anyone know the Flemish for 'underwhelmed?'
  • Options
    edited May 2014

@vff‌

Can we have a ban on using the word synergy please?
  • Options
    What's so wrong with appointing a British coach?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

. At the moment I see appointing Riga as saving us from certain relegation so I'm prepared to give RD the benefit of the doubt on this one.

We were 4/9 to stay up at the point of him taking charge, 6/4 to go down. He done a very good job to get us scoring, but we were far from down at the time Powell was sacked. Would of been nice to let Riga carry on his work as he knows all the players, Peeters will not and has to earn their trust, like a merry go round this for the players, no security anywhere.
  • Options

I could ask the same question to some posters here re: Belgian coaches.
  • Options
    Everyone loves a conspiracy theory, especially on CL it seems...
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Hardly fair - he has managed three Belgian first division clubs, and it would be silly to describe that level as way beneath the Championship.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I really don't get some of the comments on here. Riga came in, we hadn't heard of him, and in very, very difficult circumstances he not only kept us up but the majority of fans wanted him to stay permanently as Head Coach. A quite remarkable turnaround.

Now, RD has decided he is not the man for the job permanently and thinks Bob Peeters is a better bet long term. Someone else we have not heard of. Let's just give the guy a chance eh. It may work out or it may go tits up. Either way some fans on here will be proved right, some proved wrong. That's the way it goes. At the moment I see appointing Riga as saving us from certain relegation so I'm prepared to give RD the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I think you've got a good point to be fair without looking into it too much and people saying rd can't agree a contract or the way the club was going with Riga it might just be that Roland wants a younger manager for the long term and maybe it was always he's plan to have Peeters from the beginning but was in a new contract , maybe we will be able to tell when we see how long Peeters contract will be with us.
  • Options

Hardly fair - he has managed three Belgian first division clubs, and it would be silly to describe that level as way beneath the Championship.
    I never said that ;)
  • Options
    but i am convinced Bob Peeters has what it takes to be succesful.

Surprised you're so confident, but obviously very much hope you're right!

• Options
    bylbyl
    edited May 2014

but i am convinced Bob Peeters has what it takes to be succesful.

Surprised you're so confident, but obviously very much hope you're right!

i might be biased too much on Peeters, but a lot fans at the club i support (Lierse SK) hoped we would have taken Bob Peeters as head coach when we had to replace our coaching staff before the 2013/14 season. Ofc we hope he will do ok, since he was a youth player at our club and a 1st team regular when we won the belgian league back in 1997.

• Options

Thats exactly wot i was thinking, Nathan jones would be my choice .