Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

23 June - Press Conference

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It doesn't read that we can't contact him - it says we try to keep in contact every day but we don't want to push him -i.e. they are sensitive to giving him some breathing space but without losing touch.

That's how I read it too
  • Options

RedChaser said:

ross1 said:

I think the statement that worried me was, "I want to bring in up to 4 new players", so 11 go out and we bring in 4. Does that include Igor and Yoni, or 4 more after them. Whichever, it does not seem enough senior players, Joe Gomez (if signs) and Harry Lennon may be good, but are they ready? We still have 5 players we are waiting to sign contracts. If they all sign, we could have a squad of about 24 players, is that enough?

OK.

IF we played a pre season friendly tomorrow, how would our best possible 11 line up ?

On the basis that there are no fitness issues and that Moro, Diego and Wood are still under contact for another week;

Pope
    Solly
    Moro
    Lennon
    Wiggins
    Wilson
    Buyens
    JJ
    Poyet
    Harriott
    Reza

Subs from Phillips, Fox, Cousins, Church, Wood, Polish Pete, Cumberbatch (the lad released by Watford), Ansah, Piggott with Igor a done deal :-)

Hard on him to fly back for our friendly and then have to play another world cup game : - )
    It's tough at the top Henners as you well know :-0
  • Options
    edited June 2014

ross1 said:

I think the statement that worried me was, "I want to bring in up to 4 new players", so 11 go out and we bring in 4. Does that include Igor and Yoni, or 4 more after them. Whichever, it does not seem enough senior players, Joe Gomez (if signs) and Harry Lennon may be good, but are they ready? We still have 5 players we are waiting to sign contracts. If they all sign, we could have a squad of about 24 players, is that enough?

OK.

IF we played a pre season friendly tomorrow, how would our best possible 11 line up ?

Pope in goal
    Solly and Wiggins full backs
    Morrison and Wood centre halves as the game is tomorrow and they are still in contract!
    Midfield of Wilson, Cousins, Jackson, Buyens and Harriott
    And Vetokele in to replace Sordell up front.

Usual suspects panicking but doesn't look a bad side to me. I see eight players who will be very familiar to the Valley crowd supplemented by two recent additions valued in excess of £3.5M. And Fox, Nego, Reza, Piggott, Piotr, Gomez and Lennon on the bench.
    In all seriousness they have just announced they are looking closely at the centre back and goalkeeping options pending responses from Morrison and enquiries being made into unnamed targets.
    In a month we will know the best 18 available - no doubt there will be additions between now and then but I'm confident about tomorrow's friendly.
    Playing Standard Liege in just over 10 days is a different proposition but who knows?!

• Options
    SR do you think Poyet will sign? Veto hasn't officially signed yet has he? Also I don't think usual suspects are panicking, but people do care about the plight of our club.
  • Options
    Oh yeah and Rezas on international duty..
  • Options
    To be fair it pretty much matches my 87/88 junior reds scarf which I force my lil feller to wear on occasion. Bobs one looks less whiffy though...
  • Options
    razil said:

SR do you think Poyet will sign? Veto hasn't officially signed yet has he? Also I don't think usual suspects are panicking, but people do care about the plight of our club.

I thought @Fanny Fanackapan‌ question really summed it up... We could put out a team tomorrow and I hope our first 18 will look stronger in a month.
    No idea re Poyet so it's 50:50
    Vetokele medical tonight so he can play tomorrow lol
    Reza jetlagged so he's on the bench!

Our club doesn't have a "plight". It is emerging quite quickly from two years of under investment.
    If Duchatelet, Peeters and Meire continue to sign €2M players to fill the gaps then we will have much improved fare next season... And Morrison and Poyet might say "we'll have some of that!"?
    Always remember - no fear, no blame no regrets. So let's not be afraid of Brentford away ffs but instead look forward to cursing not going top of the League because Vetokele missed getting his hat-trick!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    We haven't managed to make many significant permie signings other than our beloved but quite senior captn and Reza.. and our youth and not all of them, we even struggled to get loanees. Couple that with an outflow of fringe and some first 11 and some might say that was fairly concerning. Hopefully tomorrow things will start to inprove.
  • Options
    February no loans - agreed and Obika arrived later. Think it best to think in terms of first XI and 18. Buyens sounds like an excellent signing... So what if not permanent!
    The new arrangements look like academy + loans with very few permanent signings from elsewhere. If a player is any good they will cost a fortune in fees and wages. If they are not so good then surely the academy or a loan is a better option.
    By end July we need a squad good enough to get enough points by end September - I sense that 80% of that squad is already on the books.
    Those final five signings will make all the difference to both perceptions and performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im not sure i think it is a plight, we have a lot less squad rebuilding & uncertainty going on this summer then the pre-season before the League 1 winning campaign.

We still have quality commited players like Solly, Jackson, Wiggins, Wilson, Harriott, Cousins and others on the books but i understand why this summer is more worrying for some as many of the players coming in will be foreign who outside of wikipedia & youtube clips we know nothing about.

I was not on this site at that time so maybe people were even more worried in the summer of 2011 then now in which case it makes sense.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

It doesn't read that we can't contact him - it says we try to keep in contact every day but we don't want to push him -i.e. they are sensitive to giving him some breathing space but without losing touch.

Exactly how I read it but if others want to use something again for dig then go ahead, knock yourselves out

• Options
    Bob Peeters:

"we are begging a little bit that he will re-sign"
  • Options
    If it has the same outcome as Curbs begging Mendonca to sign then I'll be happy.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Curb_It said:

Why do people get so worked up about people being made redundant. It happens all round the world and is no reason to be all anti rd

What a horrible comment.

How on earth is that horrible? It's a fact of life.
    Because when people lose their jobs peoples lives are affected - im really shocked by your attitude to peoples livelihoods.
    I'm aware, I'm not celebrating any redundancy I'm just making a point as to why people shouldn't be anti rd over this.

It happens. I've been made redundant before and I will do again. My dads even been made redundant about 10 times. It unfortunately is a fact of life. No maliciousness in what I'm saying at all
    But You came across malicious and disrespectful.

"Bye bye jan.".. I've read some horrible shit on here but that's high up on the shit list.
  • Options
    razil said:

We haven't managed to make many significant permie signings other than our beloved but quite senior captn and Reza.. and our youth and not all of them, we even struggled to get loanees. Couple that with an outflow of fringe and some first 11 and some might say that was fairly concerning. Hopefully tomorrow things will start to inprove.

I don't think it is fair to use the difficulties in recruiting loanees in January as an indication of the the current position. In January we had a pitch that was unplayable, a relegation battle, potential two games a week, possibility of a managerial change and new owners, what player would want to join a team in that situation? So the only one that did was a previous loanee who knew the club.
  • Options

Would love to know what was going through Powell's mind in this picture!
  • Options
    Adding on to my comment earlier that Bob said he wanted 4 players and hopefully all the out-of-contract players sign, the positions that would seem most important to fill are the main spine of the team: Goalkeeper, centre back, central midfield (Yoni) and centre forward (Igor). Does this really seem strong enough? I also have high hopes of Pope and Reza, but will they be good enough for the start of the season?
    ?
    Solly/Morrison/?/Wiggins
    Wilson/Poyet/Yoni/Harriot
    Igor/Reza
    Subs: Pope/Fox/Lennon/Cousins/Jackson/?/Pigott
    Is this good enough for the championship?
  • Options
    I took to be that Igor and Yoni are over the line, he's hopeful that Poyet and Morrison sign up and then we'd need another 3-4 players - that wouldn't look too bad...

If the above it correct then for me we're looking at a goalkeeper to contest with Pope, a good centre half to start with Morrison (with Lennon and Gomez as back-up), a winger to challenge Harriot and Wilson and a target man to compliment Igor and Reza.

Plus I wouldn't rule out an extra couple of loans before the window shuts at the end of Aug.

COYR
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Adding on to my comment earlier that Bob said he wanted 4 players and hopefully all the out-of-contract players sign, the positions that would seem most important to fill are the main spine of the team: Goalkeeper, centre back, central midfield (Yoni) and centre forward (Igor). Does this really seem strong enough? I also have high hopes of Pope and Reza, but will they be good enough for the start of the season?
    ?
    Solly/Morrison/?/Wiggins
    Igor/Reza

No
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

?
    Solly/Morrison/?/Wiggins
    Igor/Reza

It's definitely good enough if the keeper and centre-back are the same or better than Hamer and Dervite. How/why am I so certain? Well between March and May we played 16 games with a similar team and secured 24 points. If that team is well coached and up for it then I wouldn't expect to be in the bottom six at the end of September.

• Options

ross1 said:

?
    Solly/Morrison/?/Wiggins
    Igor/Reza

It's definitely good enough if the keeper and centre-back are the same or better than Hamer and Dervite. How/why am I so certain? Well between March and May we played 16 games with a similar team and secured 24 points. If that team is well coached and up for it then I wouldn't expect to be in the bottom six at the end of September.

I'm more interested in where we are at the start of May to be honest...

• Options
    ?
    Solly/Morrison/?/Wiggins
    Igor/Reza

Without wanting to sound negative, where would the goals from? Bar Harriot's magic spell at the end of last season, Poyet got 1 assist 0 goals all season (doing a magic job as a CDM), Yoni plays a similar roll, had one shot in all his UCL qualifiers etc at Liege, got his goals from penalties, I believe. Reza looked great at world cup but his record with us would need to change, Igor we can't comment on.

Looks good on paper but almost looks set up too defensive. Think we need a big brick of an attacker, targetman, and a CAM if not two that can change games. Need some a plan B and C, which is why we need a large squad. Also to cover for injuries etc.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Curb_It said:

Curb_It said:

Why do people get so worked up about people being made redundant. It happens all round the world and is no reason to be all anti rd

What a horrible comment.

How on earth is that horrible? It's a fact of life.
    Because when people lose their jobs peoples lives are affected - im really shocked by your attitude to peoples livelihoods.
    I'm aware, I'm not celebrating any redundancy I'm just making a point as to why people shouldn't be anti rd over this.

It happens. I've been made redundant before and I will do again. My dads even been made redundant about 10 times. It unfortunately is a fact of life. No maliciousness in what I'm saying at all
    But You came across malicious and disrespectful.

"Bye bye jan.".. I've read some horrible shit on here but that's high up on the shit list.
    Lol okay..

• Options
    A big squad is not needed if you give the players a chance they will improve. As good as proven when you look at teams who use less players do better than those who keep swapping in and out also financially it will be most probably outside the financial fair play thingy. So keep the squad simple and effective with the passion and desire of the youngsters to push the more over lax experienced players who become complacent
  • Options
    I liked it when big bob said we hope to be on the left side of the league sounds promising does that mean play offs
  • Options
    "We are looking in several countries. First you look in the Championship but it is very expensive to bring in players from the Championship and it is not easy to sign English players."

"The two players we have brought in - Yoni Buyens and Igor Vetokele - are ones I know but we are still looking for players.

"It's not a one-man decision. I have my say in every player who is coming to play for Charlton. I have been informed about every player that has been followed or proposed."
  • Options
    The summer before League 1 title we also had just signed an established goal scorer in bwp, and werent at risk of relegation, at present we have precisely zero and just escapes the drop. I do think League 1 players were easier and cheaper to get hold of and our finances are the same or worse, but I wouldn't claim any expertise in that.

We failed to sign players in January, and the three high quality championship loan targets, and are still having issues it would appear, so no I don't agree thats unfair.

I don't necessarily agree but I wouldn't blame people for being concerned that we are 5 senior first 11 players short and nearly in July with the track record above as demonstrable of our ability to overcome that 'plight'. Let alone letting go an overnight hit in Riga.

I sincerely hope RD has a plan (and not just a rigid experiment), and that tomorrow is the start of that. I think he believes results speak for themselves (which of course they do).

In my view glossy Pressers aren't the answer tho if he wants to really engage and get more fans to back his ideas (some of which may even prove popular) particularly if the road is a bumpy one.
  • Options

?
    Solly/Morrison/?/Wiggins
    Igor/Reza

Without wanting to sound negative, where would the goals from? Bar Harriot's magic spell at the end of last season, Poyet got 1 assist 0 goals all season (doing a magic job as a CDM), Yoni plays a similar roll, had one shot in all his UCL qualifiers etc at Liege, got his goals from penalties, I believe. Reza looked great at world cup but his record with us would need to change, Igor we can't comment on.

Looks good on paper but almost looks set up too defensive. Think we need a big brick of an attacker, targetman, and a CAM if not two that can change games. Need some a plan B and C, which is why we need a large squad. Also to cover for injuries etc.

I agree that the goals needs to come far more easily than last August through to March but would wish to add that it is two separate challenges: scoring against the bottom half team running on tight budgets (or relegated clubs in freefall) or scoring against top half teams where there are no weak links in defence and midfield.
    My transfermarkt post went down to mixed reception the other day. Simple fact is that if Duchatelet, Meire and Peeters acquire too many high calibre players then they will have to sideline existing proven squad members. I don't believe that will happen for two reasons: it destroys value and they have quite clearly stated they are seeking to build on what is there.
    What they did say was more midfielders...will we see a big centre forward acquired? Let's see.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    SR we are currently 4-5 (even the new coach admits this) proven ch level players short from the first 11-13, have you forgotten Sheffield? I don't think we need worry too much about displacing established first team players..