Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v India Test Series

Comments

• 8 down - Ali run out Kumar - so more than likely game will be over tonight.
  • As Ian Botham said, 'an hour and a half ago India were 33-1'
    An England-esque collapse that maybe even England couldnt achieve.
  • edited August 2014
    9 down. Jordan with it
  • Pathetic display by the Indian batsmen. If they could have lasted until tomorrow, who knows what might have happened with the forecast rain and that boggy part of the Valley Old Trafford outfield
  • CHGCHG
    edited August 2014
    Very impressed with Ali, good players of spin the Indians, to get top right handers out is phenomenal. To do that without Broad is a good effort.
  • edited August 2014
    CHG said:

Very impressed with Ali, good players of spin the Indians, to get top right handers out is phenomenal. To do that without Broad is a good effort.

TBH , it wasnt hard against India - they look shot - no backbone whatsoever.No wonder we ruled them for centuries.
    Will be totally different next season v Oz. with Harris,Johnson,Pattinson and Cummins steaming in.
  • colthe3rd said:

I've been watching England at Test level for 50 years and this is the first time we have ever had a player who could turn out to be a genuine spinning all rounder.

With Buttler in the side too, that will give us so many options so far as the balance of the team is concerned. On a bunsen burner we could now play two spinners (plus Root) and three quickies.

Say it quietly and it is only one Test but with all the top seven batsmen demonstrating some form the future might just be brighter than many of us thought a few weeks ago.

And who needs KP?

What a difference a week makes
    MrOneLung said:

1 win in 10 and we get the 'who needs KP comments'.

Two in two now.

Who needs KP?

• CHG said:

TBH , it wasnt hard against India - they look shot - no backbone whatsoever.No wonder we ruled them for centuries.
    Will be totally different next season v Oz. with Harris,Johnson,Pattinson and Cummins steaming in.
    Ali

CHG said:

Let's enjoy this test first, really enjoyed that last session, don't care who it was against.
  • Would like them to try Alex Hales to open for the Oval. Otherwise this team is shaping up well.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would like to see Steven Finn in place of Woakes. As well as a new opening partner for Cook. I like James Vince.
  • India has an estimated population of 1,210,193,444 and that shower of shit is the best they can do?
  • dickplumb said:

I would like to see Steven Finn in place of Woakes. As well as a new opening partner for Cook. I like James Vince.

Think you'll find Finn will come in for Broady,he's got no chance of playing.
  • India showed a severe lack of a backbone. It looked as if Moeen Ali was lobbing hand grenades.
  • The funniest thing was the LBW Ali won, it was an absolute shocker! The umpire got the angles all wrong.

Once again India's stubborn refusal to embrace DRS is shown up for its utter stupidity.
  • Broad going to play with Lleara head mask, will be a perculiar sight.
  • Great comeback by England in this series. I'm really pleased for Cook, after all the flack he has taken.
    Hopefully, he can score some runs at The Oval.
  • CHG said:

The Indiab batsmen have been just as spinless as on the last 4-0 tour.

The funniest thing was the LBW Ali won, it was an absolute shocker! The umpire got the angles all wrong.

Once again India's stubborn refusal to embrace DRS is shown up for its utter stupidity.

Sunil Gavaskar woffled for 5 to 10 minutes on TMS trying to justify their logic and failed dismally!

Is Sachin had been given out incorrectly on 99, going for his 100th international century, they would have quickly changed their minds...
  • CHG said:

The funniest thing was the LBW Ali won, it was an absolute shocker! The umpire got the angles all wrong.

Sunil Gavaskar woffled for 5 to 10 minutes on TMS trying to justify their logic and failed dismally!

Is Sachin had been given out incorrectly on 99, going for his 100th international century, they would have quickly changed their minds...
    Is that "spinless" or "spineless" because, in all honesty, it could be either ;-)
  • That first comment was something I was going to post yesterday, and thought I had deleted!

Their top order batting was poor at the start of the series, but they were rescued by their lower order players. When you're reduced to bringing back Gambhir, you know you're in trouble
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014

CHG said:

Shastri on Sky verdict tried doing the same, but couldnt come up with any salient,concise reason- just coming up with 'it isnt good enough' and mentioning the issues last season we had v Oz - i kept hoping Colvile would respond with 'but its better than not having any at all'- and prove it with stats.
    I can see , based on Shastris comments, that , as suspected, India are waiting for a system , developed in India that they can force upon everyone else that they can control - a bit like the way, as i mentioned a few days ago, they tried to get their own Duckworth-Lewis system implemented, but failed.They feel, as the biggest and most powerful player that they have a need to be the dominant player in order to dictate and control to their own benefit - whereas now, we have systems that come from Oz (Snicko and Hotspot) and UK (Hawkeye) - they have a xenophobic outlook and distrust onto something that they believe should be 'theirs'.
  • CHG said:

Shastri on Sky verdict tried doing the same, but couldnt come up with any salient,concise reason- just coming up with 'it isnt good enough' and mentioning the issues last season we had v Oz - i kept hoping Colvile would respond with 'but its better than not having any at all'- and prove it with stats.
    I can see , based on Shastris comments, that , as suspected, India are waiting for a system , developed in India that they can force upon everyone else that they can control - a bit like the way, as i mentioned a few days ago, they tried to get their own Duckworth-Lewis system implemented, but failed.They feel, as the biggest and most powerful player that they have a need to be the dominant player in order to dictate and control to their own benefit - whereas now, we have systems that come from Oz (Snicko and Hotspot) and UK (Hawkeye) - they have a xenophobic outlook and distrust onto something that they believe should be 'theirs'.
    They have the same power in other areas of the game too. In betting, for example and specifically the Betfair market on a one day match.

The belief is that the reason that Betfair don't have a "tie" market as an alternative to the two teams winning the game is down to the fact that Indian bookmakers don't themselves offer the "tie" and want the ability to hedge their liabilities with the Exchanges.

I should add that you can back or lay the tie on a market that runs alongside the main market. Not quite the same though.
  • CHG said:

They have the same power in other areas of the game too. In betting, for example and specifically the Betfair market on a one day match.

The belief is that the reason that Betfair don't have a "tie" market as an alternative to the two teams winning the game is down to the fact that Indian bookmakers don't themselves offer the "tie" and want the ability to hedge their liabilities with the Exchanges.

I should add that you can back or lay the tie on a market that runs alongside the main market. Not quite the same though.
    In other words, a tie game is all bookies profit - a bit like the zero ball in Roulette ?
  • CHG said:

In other words, a tie game is all bookies profit - a bit like the zero ball in Roulette ?
    That might be the case with the Indian bookmakers but it as a bit of a disaster for Exchanges as they make their money through commission on winnings as, when there is a tie, the Exchanges have to void the main market.

Yes they will earn commission on the "will there be a tie?" market but the former might typically match £20m and the latter might match £100K. And in revenue terms that's the difference between say £20K and £1K.

• so, looks like Broad IS playing tomorrow, and likely that England will go with same team (hope not, as want Finn in to stick it the Indians and really rub it in).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/28790390
    Can only see another England win with 3-1 series win.
  • Anyone hear the Aggers interview with Cook? Asked him about the Broad injury.

"Has it made you all feel the need to check your equipment?"
    *Snigger*
    "I mean, you know, check your helmets out?"
    *More sniggering*
  • so, looks like Broad IS playing tomorrow, and likely that England will go with same team (hope not, as want Finn in to stick it the Indians and really rub it in).

Could be interesting if India have Ishant fit along with Varun Aaron who bowled up around 90mph at times at Old Trafford. Ishant bounced England out at Lords. England have not dealt with the short ball too well after Mitchell Johnson turned them over in Australia. I think it may be closer than what some people think.

• Brian said:

so, looks like Broad IS playing tomorrow, and likely that England will go with same team (hope not, as want Finn in to stick it the Indians and really rub it in).

Could be interesting if India have Ishant fit along with Varun Aaron who bowled up around 90mph at times at Old Trafford. Ishant bounced England out at Lords. England have not dealt with the short ball too well after Mitchell Johnson turned them over in Australia. I think it may be closer than what some people think.

Cant see it, India have been mullered in last two tests - their confidence is shot. Put Mickey Mouse in to open the bowling for England and they'd still be 40-3.

Next summer a fit and fast Finn would be a great asset to the team, if he's ready he needs to be blooded now
  • Go for an unchanged side but would of taken out Jordan if he wouldn't had a decent last spell