Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v India Test Series

Comments

• 237-6 Rain stopped play

Root 48
    Buttler 22
  • So.....lead approaching 100, and 4 wickets in hand. England would have settled for that before the match started. If they can get another 100 runs then they will be in a strong position.

Tomorrows forecast is good and they will need to get a move on because the next 2 days are not looking great rain wise.
  • It chucked it down when I was at Old Trafford last summer, which saved England from defeat against Australia.

In retrospect, a defeat then might have been a good thing, as we were somewhat over confident going into the winter Ashes series...
  • Effing Manchester ! Take away all Test matches from Old Trafford.
  • Inspection at 4.30.
  • CE - you going to The Oval?
  • Yes, on Friday with 3 mates.
  • Another inspection at 5pm. The suns out & most of the pitch looks fine.
    But they obviously have Charlton's old drains, as one small part near the boundary, has a mini lake.
  • edited August 2014
    Further inspection at 5.40, due to the mini lake by the boundary, pathetic.
    If they knew they had a potential problem in that area, surely they could have taken better precautions to cover it ?
  • Further inspection at 5.40, due to the mini lake by the boundary, pathetic.
    If they knew they had a potential problem in that area, surely they could have taken better precautions to cover it ?

Or brought the boundary in by 10 metres .
    Typical norvern monkeys - no wonder people want to take Tests away from Manc and Leeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• I feel sorry for the groundstaff in this situation. They will get the stick for this, and we all know the perils of having part of the grounds drainage not being up to the job.

Really it's the higher ups who are willing to take risks to put games on when grounds aren't completely ready because they need to cover the costs of the recent ground developments which the ECB have pressured them to make.

I understand why you couldn't take the boundary in 10m midway through a match. I imagine the Indians would have something to say if England still had half an innings more than the with a shorter boundary.
  • edited August 2014
    Apparently, it's the low point of the ground, so all the water collects there. They had 2 inches of rain, in 45 mins.
    Bumble said last week, it was knee high in water in that area.
    England will do well to win this game now, as further rain is expected.
  • edited August 2014

I feel sorry for the groundstaff in this situation. They will get the stick for this, and we all know the perils of having part of the grounds drainage not being up to the job.

Really it's the higher ups who are willing to take risks to put games on when grounds aren't completely ready because they need to cover the costs of the recent ground developments which the ECB have pressured them to make.

I understand why you couldn't take the boundary in 10m midway through a match. I imagine the Indians would have something to say if England still had half an innings more than the with a shorter boundary.

Agree, however, it was a known problem area - therefore why didnt they bring it in 10 metres before the game ?? After all, i looked at the weather forecast 3/4 days before the game and could see there was going to be significant rain.
  • Looks like being a clear day weatherwise but knowing Manchester, i bet its called off coz of the wrong type of sun.
  • Root goes past 50. Lead now 91.
  • 257-6 New ball taken , Eng lead by 105
  • 271-6 Lead by 119 - 100 partnership.
  • 291-6 Buttler 51 not out - and who said he wasnt ready for the Test team ?? Now got an average of circa 140.
  • 304-7 Root caught behind off Pankaj for 77 - Pankaj first Test wicket , some 200+ runs later !
  • Might be good for England to get out before lunch what with the weather forecast for tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jos Buttler's test average is at 140. :-)
  • I'm feeling a bit lonely on here - is it 3 o'clock yet??
  • 304-7 Root caught behind off Pankaj for 77 - Pankaj first Test wicket , some 200+ runs later !

One of the rare occasions you're happy for an opposition bowler to get a wicket. He now has a bowling average, even if it makes painful reading!
  • Jos Buttler's test average is at 140. :-)

77.5 now. :-(
  • Slap it around a bit after lunch - try to get to 200 lead, and then.... let them 'av it !!
  • 352-8 - Eng now have 200 lead.
    Stuart Broad hit 2 sixes from consecutive balls off Varon then got smacked in face going for the third with one that got through his visor - hit him on nose/forehead - unlikely to bowl today at least.
  • Wtf! Watch charlton flick over to cricket and India are 70-6! What the hell happened
  • Had both on at same time - Moeen Ali had taken 2 or is it 3 wickets - India imploding again. Broad not even bowling.
  • Brilliant catch by Gary Ballance to get rid of Dhoni - 104-7 - Moeen now has 4 wickets - Game could be all over tonight.!
  • Got a ticket for day 3 at the Oval. If India play like they have in this game, it could be all over by then!